Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: So how much demand would there be for 18.6" 50 Beowulf barrels?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    I meant there would be a big demand. My typing skills in the morning aren't the best. If there was readily available barrels there would be a demand for mags. That all creates a demand for ammo and atrs said they could get ammo.
    No reply to my questions on said ammo. I would shoot my 50 a lot more if ammo was available. Currently my 450 and 30AR barrels see 10 times more use as I can get more ammo on the way with a phonecall vs having to make time to reload if I want to shoot the 50. I'm sure anyone else with who already owns a beo is in the same boat currently
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    What you are suggesting falls under the RCMP's current interpretation as you are simply modifying an existing 223/556 magazine and would be limited to that calibers capacity.

I have had a NR 50 beowulf rifle for years now, as a result it has gotten lots of public exposure while hunting public land and I go through a ministry checkpoint in my province at least once a year where both conservation officers and RCMP are present. I wouldn't want to be the guy that gambles my firearms license on someone laser engraving 50 beowulf on a 223/556 magazine after simply changing a follower on it.

FYI, there was already a case where an individual was charged back east, plead guilty to numerous charges and the magazines were kept as prohibited devices.
    Not if the magazine was made to be a 50 Beowulf magazine. Just cause it’s the same size and shape doesn’t mean it’s an AR-15 magazine. Otherwise we wouldn’t have LAR pistol mags. They’re the same shape and size as an AR-15 mag. I’m not suggesting they take exsisting mags and just change the follower, I’m saying make a new mag with a single stack follower.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    The beo and socom need commercially loaded ammo available in Canada for purchase to really take off. I can count on one hand the number of other shooters I have seen at the range or out in the bush with either caliber.
    We are working on a source for these calibers of ammo. Hopefully once SHOT is done we will get more answers.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorerider View Post
    I wish but the 2 round magazines kind of kill it for me.
    An LAR mag will hold 4 Beowulf rounds. You just need to open up the front of the feed lip a little bit and clip a piece off the back leg of the follower to allow it to tilt backwards. Nothing illegal about this as the maximum capacity doesn't change.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    We are working on a source for these calibers of ammo. Hopefully once SHOT is done we will get more answers.
    I would be interested in a upper for my Modern Sporter. .458 SOCOM seems more attractive to me due to a wider choice of bullet options. However the .50 Beowulf performs the best....if factory loaded ammunition and reloading components are available I might get both. Then that .450 Bushmaster seems easy to buy bullets for on line.

I look forward to seeing what ATR comes up with.
    Last edited by Runt; 01-26-2019 at 03:58 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer conor_90's Avatar
    Dies, brass and 5 round capacity magazines and I would be all over it

Quote Originally Posted by conor_90 View Post
    Dies, brass and 5 round capacity magazines and I would be all over it
    Dies are available from Lee, Hornady & Redding

Brass is available from Starline. Rustywood trading company has it in stock now.

ASC makes 5 round 450 bushmaster single stack magazines that should work, the internet says they will. They will not hold .223 ammo. They are available in Canada for $68. The magazine I have fits my 50beo snap caps fine. I do not have a rifle to test cycle it or test fire it in though.

You will also need a 6.5 Grendel bolt.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    It is the ammo that prevents these calibers from being adopted by the main stream.

It's like 50bmg, it's only the last few years I have seen loaded ammo being consistently available on retailers shelves. As a result owners of rifles in that caliber I have seen double if not triple in that time.

If one of the big ammo companies were to start producing various loadings of either caliber it would take off.

This is one thing Remington did right with the 450 bushmaster and rem 30ar, ammo has always been readily available. The popularity of the 450 bushmaster has risen immensely in the last few years as a result

I believe Alexander arms holds a patent on anything 50 beowulf. This is likely part of the issue as to why nobody is loading it commercially. I wonder if the socom is the same issue with the designer?
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    For less than the cost of the barrel, you guys could get into reloading and not have to worry about finding commercial ammo...
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

Quote Originally Posted by griffin86 View Post
    For less than the cost of the barrel, you guys could get into reloading and not have to worry about finding commercial ammo...
    But instead of shooting more for the same amount, people seem to like the convenience of sub par ammuntion that involves no more effort than going to the LGS to get.