Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transport without registration certificate

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cement head's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    It's not illegal to not have your reg cert with you. It makes things easier in the unlikely situation you are asked to produce one though.
    I would think so . why test the waters and cause yourself undue grief if your pulled over. think about it .

Given the disparity of opinions on this topic in these forums, and the less than clear language of the FA, I wouldn't want to offer an opinion on the subject. But if we as a community who participate in this sport have so many different thoughts on whether your transfer notice (emailed document you receive when your restricted purchase is approved) is acceptable to transport in lieu of the registration certificate (paper document your receive in the mail x number of days / weeks later), I would be nervous about what random LEO's opinion is on the matter if in the unlikely event you were stopped and asked to produce a registration certificate.

Right or wrong, if the LEO decides it's improper transportation and seizes your firearms, there is at best a hassle to go through to get them back, at worst court costs and time to argue to try and get them back.
    Member: CPC / CCFR / CSSA / NFR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Alee, you are right to ask these questions, but unfortunately it is impossible to transfer a restricted firearm without someone committing a criminal offence. The system was designed by nitwits, and the police often overlook the obvious bugs in the system, and sometimes will even come up with creative BS solutions like "your transfer notice is like a temporary registration certificate", just so that they can leave you alone without telling you the law is stupid. Many people will give you many answers, and unless they are quoting the law, they will most likely be wrong.

Section 91 of the firearms act states it is a criminal offence to possession restricted firearms, unless you have A) a license and B) a registration certificate. Section 117.11 of the criminal codes states that if the law requires you to have a document to avoid criminal liability, the onus is on you to produce the document.
    So where is your registration certificate? If you can't prove that you have one, you are already committing a criminal act just by having the restricted firearm, let alone transporting it.

The truth is virtually every single transfer of restricted firearms in the last 20 years results in someone committing a criminal offence. SO despite all the BS about transfer notices and ATTs, its really up to you if you want to double down and take the firearm to the range before your certificate comes in the mail.

I would never advise anyone to knowingly break the law, but in this case its just impossible not to. The only that changes between keeping the firearm home and taking it to the range is the probability of getting caught, which should never really factor into your decision making as a law abiding citizen.

Moral of the story is, owning guns is a crime. Don't over think it.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Ontario CFO also says you must have the registration certificate before you can take it to the range. You can always call to verify.

CGN Regular
    I have taken some new guns to the range for a shoot before I got my registration. I realize I could get in behind the 8 ball if for whatever reason I am stopped by law enforcement. I accept all responsibility for that. I only have 1 gun I'm waiting for a registration for but I'll probably get it before I hit the range. So it up to the person if they want to transport without a registration in my opinion.

Corey

It does not state in the law you are required to carry the original registration with the firearm, but it does state that should the original registration be requested, you must be able to produce it.
    Free men DO NOT ask permission.
    "Don't hate me because I'm black." - Black Rifles
    Eradicate Nazism in Ukraine.
    IRUNGUNS will take your money and not supply what you’ve paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiu View Post
    Ontario CFO also says you must have the registration certificate before you can take it to the range. You can always call to verify.
    I have gotten different answers each time I have called to ask. Peggy from the Ontario office said it okay to bring firearm to range before receiving the cert and another lady from CFP said it was not okay....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    If you get pulled over and can’t provide the reg cert, the LEO May seize your restricted firearm. ( It’s his call)
    You then have 14 days to produce the registration.

So it depends on the officer ,and if he’s in a nasty mood, you better hope you have your certificate in 14 days

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    If you get pulled over and can’t provide the reg cert, the LEO May seize your restricted firearm. ( It’s his call)
    You then have 14 days to produce the registration.

So it depends on the officer ,and if he’s in a nasty mood, you better hope you have your certificate in 14 days
    This correct. Despite the fact the officer can look up your license and registrations in the cruiser in 60 seconds, nothing compels him to do so.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

I picked up a revolver from the post recently.
    Still waiting for a registration.
    Not having one will not keep me from taking it to the range. I did get a transfer with all the numbers and will keep that handy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast