Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: STAG-10 Upper/Lower/Rail Combo - FDE - Blems

CGN Ultra frequent flyer phillyblt's Avatar
    Do you guys still have any of those 7.62 charging handles? I cant seem to see them on your site. Grabbed a Stag 10 from you guys but never grabbed a charging handle.

Thanks
    Don't miss... I won't...

Quote Originally Posted by dangertree View Post
    Yes. All STAG-10 are anodized. FDE Cerakote over milspec hardcoat anodizing.
    Are these sandblasted before being cerakoted?

Quote Originally Posted by T-BO View Post
    Sand blasting would remove the anodizing.

cerakote over milspec hardcoat anodizing

That suggests no. They have not been sand blasted before cerakote.

Properly done it is actually a better way to cerakote as the anodizing give the cerakote a better surface to adhere to than just bead blasted aluminum. Most companies figured out that if they dont oil the aluminum they have the optimum surface to cerakote directly on top of the anodizing.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SigWig's Avatar
    When will we see complete uppers for sale?

Looking for a 18.75" barreled .308 win

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    Sand blasting would remove the anodizing.

cerakote over milspec hardcoat anodizing

That suggests no. They have not been sand blasted before cerakote.

Properly done it is actually a better way to cerakote as the anodizing give the cerakote a better surface to adhere to than just bead blasted aluminum. Most companies figured out that if they dont oil the aluminum they have the optimum surface to cerakote directly on top of the anodizing.
    Greg, are you certain this is the process they used?

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    First of all, Cerakote is never applied over a bead blasted surface so that might have confused a few people. I cannot presume to know what Stag's process is for applying Cerakote since they can leave the parts to be Cerakoted non anodized or they could anodize everything. Only Stag can accurately answer that.

Anything other than the hardest type III anodizing will come off in the sandblast cabinet. It is recommended by the manufacturer of Cerakote ( NIC Industries ) to still sandblast over hard anodizing but at a reduced air pressure similar to preparing plastic surfaces for Cerakote. You can Cerakote water if you like, but you will not achieve optimal results, so some might not follow munufactures directions and think the product is just fine because it looks good, but it is not the best end result possible.

Greg, are you certain this is the process they used?
    I seen your pictures. The specs inside look like over spray to me. And yes dangertree works at arms east. He would know. He said cerakote over the anodizing. If you are worried about the rifle functioning. I suggest build it and cycle the bcg lots with lots of lube and it will smooth out the interior surface. I had an upper cerakoted and the bcg wore off the high spots without any damage to the bcg. Cerakote isnt hard it's just the best spray on coating out there.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar

Functionality will not be compromised. Any finish will wear through to bare metal in high wear areas over time. After looking at your pictures, it is clear the pieces were both over blasted and under Cerakoted. Ok if it was sold as a blemish but if not, send it back just out of principle. Some companies such as Aero Precision have some kind of magic Anodizing that will not blast off. Most call their anodizing hard coated but blast off in a second under the gun. Not hard at all. 5 seconds is very hard.

Thanks for all the great info. I was a bit worried as exotic coatings are talked about very frequently by manufacturers as performance enhancers.

It definitely sounds like it's more of a luxury items that's not going to effect overall performance by much of a margin.

It was absolutely purchased as a blem and if function is not compromised I'm more than happy.

Thanks again for the help
    Last edited by T-BO; 01-27-2019 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Spelling

CGN Regular
    Do you sell that barrel nut separately? It looks like it MIGHT be compatible to Aero's M5E1 attachment.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast