Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorted 9mm Brass??

CGN Regular

Sorted 9mm Brass??

I am looking at adding 9mm sorted brass to the repository of items. The machine will be about $15,000 USD and 6 months by the time I am said and done. This wouldn't really change pricing on 9mm, however, would it make the Camdex processed brass more appealing? I know the commercial loaders are after it, however, sometimes consumers are a puzzle to me.

It would be running 24,000 - 36,000 pieces per hour. 98% accuracy

Looking for honest, constructive feedback.

BSB

OCD is the only reason I ever sorted pistol brass by headstamp. only the best bullseye shooters will see any appreciable difference in their group sizes and if you're dies are adjusted right 99.9 percent of mixed will load fine.

Now if we were talking rifle brass I would say it is totally worth it but pistol? Can't say I shoot well enough to see the benefits.

For reference I shoot 10-12k of 9mm a year

YMMV
    J

I use only Blazer 9mm for my revolver competition rounds. That being said I've got ooodles of 9mm and revo shooters keep their brass so I don't see a market there.

I have found that WIN needs a 1/8" extra turn down on the seating die to keep my OAL, compared to Blazer and FC.
    ICORE/IPSC/USPSA

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyScuba View Post
    I use only Blazer 9mm for my revolver competition rounds. That being said I've got ooodles of 9mm and revo shooters keep their brass so I don't see a market there.

I have found that WIN needs a 1/8" extra turn down on the seating die to keep my OAL, compared to Blazer and FC.
    Just wondering how OAL would change with different brass, wouldn't the distance between seating die and shell plate on press be the same no matter what brand of brass is put in the shell plate?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer just having some fun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xldbldbl View Post
    Just wondering how OAL would change with different brass, wouldn't the distance between seating die and shell plate on press be the same no matter what brand of brass is put in the shell plate?
    thickness of the brass / length / springback/ bullet tension / wear and tear on press can affect length as well as other factors

OAL does vary with brass.

I would be very interested in brass by headstamp. I would order some today (Blazer) if you had it.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.

CGN Regular
    Most of what comes through the shop from the Law Enforcement stream is Win 9mm +P (variations) or IVI NT +P. The commercial stream is a lot of blazer and federal. But again, with my current equipment and market conditions, it isn't worth sorting. If I can move up north of 10,000 pieces per hour through the sorter to move in line with my Camdex throughput then it is more reasonable.

I don't buy a lot of brass (maybe 1-2k per year) of 9mm, but I would buy sorted over mixed every time.
    "Never trust a government that doesn't trust its own citizens with guns...."

It would appeal to a lot of IPSC open division shooters, I guess. I myself wouldn't mind shooting ammo reloaded with same headstamp in match if I'm shooting open. Just for some extra peace of mind knowing one variable is eliminated.

I was lucky enough to stumble into a 45 gallon drum of 9mm brass so I can't see buying any in the future...
    The appropriate question would be how much extra are people willing to pay for sorted brass... Personally if I didn't shoot very often and only reloaded 1 or 2k a year I would pay a small premium for sorted due to my OCD. For someone like me who shoots 10-12k a year and isn't looking to shoot cloverleafs a small premium could add up and have little if any impact on the type of shooting I do, that and someone who shoots as often as I do I always seem to bring more range pick-ups home from a shoot than I shot. The bullseye guys may have some interest but most of those guys I shoot with don't buy much for brass a year as they already have it by the pail..

Interested in hearing others thoughts on this.

J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast