Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 350 legend with ballistics photos

so what
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    You think Marlin would beat Winchester to the punch putting out a lever in this caliber? If so, Winchester is definitely NOT on the ball!

Cheers
    Jay
    Winchester has always preferred fully rimmed cartridges for their traditional lever guns. The fact that this is rebated indicates that it's not likely in the cards unless a yet to be introduced rifle is coming. One must also remember that Winchester Ammunition is a separate entity.
    It's more likely that their aim is the AR platform.
    Bush hunter!

CGN Regular
    Dare I ask what a box of this stuff costs?

How would the 265 grain ammo compare with other hard-hitting calibres such as .45-70? I don't have much experience in these types of cartridges but it appears to me they're trying to market multiple power levels for different game, I've never really seen a factory loading with that wide of a range of bullet weights.

Quote Originally Posted by gyates93 View Post

How would the 265 grain ammo compare with other hard-hitting calibres such as .45-70? I don't have much experience in these types of cartridges but it appears to me they're trying to market multiple power levels for different game, I've never really seen a factory loading with that wide of a range of bullet weights.
    You'd be hard-pressed for a 265 gr to hit 1500 fps.

I see this as intended for the AR-15 market.
    Andy

Since 1958

CGN Ultra frequent flyer slicknick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    You'd be hard-pressed for a 265 gr to hit 1500 fps.

I see this as intended for the AR-15 market.
    That’s entirely it. Coming out of the gate with FMJ ammo in thier USA line (and MSRP is around $10/box) as well as suppressor-ready loadings says thier going after the modern rifle market. The cartridge itself looks to be a straight walled .223 case and if it uses a standard AR15 bolt head and feeds from magazines it could be a huge seller for guys who want a hunting cartridge with only a barrel swap.
    WARNING - This signature has been found to cause cancer in labratory mice

Not to rain on the parade here, but any case that head spaces on its mouth, especially one as ballistically redundant as this one, is a non starter IMO. I had the 450 Bushmaster in a Ruger 77 and it didn't reside here very long. Hand loading for a bolt rifle round that head spaces on the case mouth is finicky business at best. This cartridge would, perhaps, be best suited to the AR platform, as was the 450 BM. Again, IMO.
    "Vex not thy spirits with the course of things. They heed not thy vexation. How ludicrous and outlandish is astonishment with anything that may happen in life." Marcus Aurelius
    CSSA CCFR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    You guys are aware that the 350 was designed for bolt gun hunting in States that only allow straight wall brass cases for hunting?

These States do not allow hunting with regular bottle neck rounds like the 30-30, 35 Rem.

My take is the 450 Bushmaster has taken off and proven to be an excellent hunting round my Ruger American is a 250 yard deer combo Winchester has just used the same concept.

It is exactly like a
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gyates93 View Post

One US website indicates this will be in the price range of the 30-30. We will see. (I doubt it very much)

The 265 grain loading is listed as a sub sonic target load. It's not intended as anything else, and doesn't even approach black powder loadings of the 45-70.
    Bush hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by woodlotowner View Post
    Not to rain on the parade here, but any case that head spaces on its mouth, especially one as ballistically redundant as this one, is a non starter IMO. I had the 450 Bushmaster in a Ruger 77 and it didn't reside here very long. Hand loading for a bolt rifle round that head spaces on the case mouth is finicky business at best. This cartridge would, perhaps, be best suited to the AR platform, as was the 450 BM. Again, IMO.
    somehow guy get by reloading tens of thousands of rounds of straight-walled rimless pistol without a hiccup. i'm doubtful that if you were having issues reloading 450 BM that it had anything to do with how the case headspaces.

CGN frequent flyer
    I agree that the main market may be in the AR platforms, for those states with straight wall cartridge restrictions.

Is this just a 357 Maximum with the rim removed?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast