Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Winchester 350 legend with ballistics photos

This is driven by regulations in various states that have a LOT of deer hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by MiG25 View Post
    This is driven by regulations in various states that have a LOT of deer hunters.
    And alot of deer...

Quote Originally Posted by hoytcanon View Post
    And alot of deer...
    Exactly, Winchester has brought out a cartridge that will compete with slug guns for use on whitetailed deer. Its not intended for all around use, or moose or gophers. Whitetailed Deer in shotgun states, the very definition of niche.

I think it will be a success given the choice between say a CZ527 or AR in 350 or an 870 with a rifled barrel, I know what I would pick. People underestimate the sheer number of deer hunters some of those states have, I'd bet that the states driving this have double or more the number of hunters that all of Canada has.

Winchester has basically staked out the minimum legal requirement, straight/35 cal/1.7 inches. Wonder if they have a straight 40 based on the 7.62x39 on the drawing board.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If kept decently priced with plenty of cheap ammo i can see it becoming quite popular in restricted states. Cva and traditions singles have really taken off lately in models chambered for 35+ cals in straight walls. Couple hundred more you can get a bolt action repeater. Might not be popular with us canucks but i can see it doing well in certain circles

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator
    Bush hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by JaredP View Post
    somehow guy get by reloading tens of thousands of rounds of straight-walled rimless pistol without a hiccup. i'm doubtful that if you were having issues reloading 450 BM that it had anything to do with how the case headspaces.
    My point being that this is a ridiculous cartridge in a bolt rifle and, had some US states not had regulations that made it a potentially marketable situation in those locations, it would never have likely been conceived. Pistols are a totally different animal. Also, I never had issues with reloading the 450 BM, just found it finicky compared to any other straight wall cartridge I load for. I, at least, speak from experience with the 450...
    "Vex not thy spirits with the course of things. They heed not thy vexation. How ludicrous and outlandish is astonishment with anything that may happen in life." Marcus Aurelius
    CSSA CCFR

So, after reading a couple of magazine articles on this, some of you are missing the point. Yes, it's intended for states with the silly straight-wall cartridge restrictions, and also does so with a decent expanding bullet with MUCH less recoil than any slug gun. A new youth starter rifle for deer and hogs to 200 yards. This can encourage new shooters or those super sensitive to recoil. With a daughter who wants to hunt and shoots a .22 just fine, but flinches from the crack of my .243, this could be a viable option to help her get started and cure that flinch issue. I have a feeling this round may not go away as quickly as some of you may think.

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, DADDIES WITH PRETTY DAUGHTERS KILL PEOPLE!
    "Get a shot off FAST. This upsets him long enough to make your second shot count." -Robert A. Heinlein.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456