Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does any one use Metal Cabinet to storage firearm?

Does any one use Metal Cabinet to storage firearm?

after review some youtubes, the firearm safe are east to break!! except the high end.
    does any one here using Metal Cabinet for storage firearm?
    my plan is have 2 metal cabinet, big one to storage firearm and a small one for ammo.
    like following:
    https://www.uline.ca/BL_3872/Storage-Cabinets?keywords=cabinet

and it that ok ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    Yes that is fine, Regina vs Barnes. http://firearmslaw.ca/wp-content/upl...-Judgement.pdf
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

I wouldn't advise it.

It's considered a safe, and is perfectly legal. Mine is inside of a room, specifically for the storage of firearms... so I could do with either, I just choose to use both.

True they are very easy to gain access into, but they are legal. If you are worried about secure, buy secure, if you are worried about legal, buy legal... if you are worried about both... buy a safe and skip the cabinet or put it in a secure room.
    National Firearms Association Member NFA, Canadian Coalition For Firearms Rights Member CCFR, Canadian Shooting Sports Association Member CSSA,
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation Member SWF, Conservative Party of Canada Member CPC

Agree , my plan is put the cabinet into a storage room with extra lock . Since I check some cheap model up to 800cad safe still easy to break it with 10 mins with tools . And I will be collecting quite a bit firearm need room for it

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trimmer 905's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avan920 View Post
    after review some youtubes, the firearm safe are east to break!! except the high end.
    does any one here using Metal Cabinet for storage firearm?
    my plan is have 2 metal cabinet, big one to storage firearm and a small one for ammo.
    like following:
    https://www.uline.ca/BL_3872/Storage...ywords=cabinet

and it that ok ?
    Sure,it's OK. Any metal cabinet with a lock is fine. People that think they need a "bank vault" to store their guns are out to lunch. Even with R class,they can be stored inside a metal cabinet as long as they're trigger locked,also. Ammo may be stored inside the locked container. The Criminal Code and Firearms Act secure storage regulations were NEVER intended to prevent theft from B&E. The intention is to prevent unauthorized access by people who happen to be emotionally upset during "the heat of the moment" which usually passes within a few minutes or curious family members who don't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trimmer 905 View Post
    Sure,it's OK. Any metal cabinet with a lock is fine. People that think they need a "bank vault" to store their guns are out to lunch. Even with R class,they can be stored inside a metal cabinet as long as they're trigger locked,also. Ammo may be stored inside the locked container. The Criminal Code and Firearms Act secure storage regulations were NEVER intended to prevent theft from B&E. The intention is to prevent unauthorized access by people who happen to be emotionally upset during "the heat of the moment" which usually passes within a few minutes or curious family members who don't know any better.
    I don't even think that restricted's need trigger locks in a cheap stack on tin can... they are sold as a gun safe, the courts see them as a gun safe, and restricted's don't need trigger locks on in a gun safe. Stack on tin cans are NOT vaults by any means, but they are a legal gun safe. Having trigger locks on isn't a bad idea though, shows you're trying to go further than the law requires. I don't lock my own handguns in my "safe", I lock the safe and I lock the room it's in.
    National Firearms Association Member NFA, Canadian Coalition For Firearms Rights Member CCFR, Canadian Shooting Sports Association Member CSSA,
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation Member SWF, Conservative Party of Canada Member CPC

Safe storage laws are to keep unauthorized people from using them. This is mostly for children and untrained adults to prevent accidents. Those people usually won't damage the container to get at them. Thieves with commonly available modern tools can make short work of most home safes.

I thought that some of the ones marketed as "gun cabinets" were not considered safes and therefore needed to have trigger locks on Rs? I could be wrong

CGN frequent flyer
    I have an RPAL but currently only have non restricted bolt action rifles I keep them all locked in a stack-on cabinet with trigger locks. What's ten bucks for another layer of security? My personal feeling is that if a thief breaks into your home during the day with the right tools and has the time with no one home they will be able to get into both security cabinets and high end safes. My stack on is in a small room, and bolted to the floor for added deterrence.

I consider my greatest security against theft to be my 75 pound dog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast