Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does any one use Metal Cabinet to storage firearm?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trimmer 905 View Post
    Sure,it's OK. Any metal cabinet with a lock is fine. People that think they need a "bank vault" to store their guns are out to lunch. Even with R class,they can be stored inside a metal cabinet as long as they're trigger locked,also. Ammo may be stored inside the locked container. The Criminal Code and Firearms Act secure storage regulations were NEVER intended to prevent theft from B&E. The intention is to prevent unauthorized access by people who happen to be emotionally upset during "the heat of the moment" which usually passes within a few minutes or curious family members who don't know any better.
    No trigger lock needed. The only time this has gone to court the judge decided a safe is "a locking container made of metal" or something like that. By the definition he used a snap on cabinet is absolutely a safe.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Super Moderator
    Juster - thanks for posting the link to the Barnes judgement.
    The Barnes case was in the Ontario Court of Justice.
    What sort of precedent does this establish? Ontario only? Federal?

CGN frequent flyer
    I'm no lawyer, but I'm guessing federal. Although the case went before Ontario Provincial Court, the judgement would be on a federal law (safe storage I think falls under the firearms act) which I'm guessing would set federal precedent. I could be wrong though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    If I'm not mistaken it's not binding precedence on anything, however it would more than likely be considered in any future judgement on the topic. At least that is what was explained to me by someone who sounded like they knew wtf they were talking about.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Growing up, a gun cabinet was generally made of wood and had glass doors. They'd have one of those cheap brass locks that was useless for anyone but curious children. The metal stack-on cabinets meet the definition for a safe regardless of how it's advertised.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nomad 68's Avatar
    NS,Alberta and sometimes, points in between
    In reality, a lock only keeps an honest man out. I do what I have to to be in compliance with our regime. I have one safe and three gym lockers in my gun room.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, but as far as I know that would be the closest thing to a legal definition of a fireaems safe in Canada as a whole. But no guarantees.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12