Thread: SIG SLMAG in 338NM and 7.62 NATO

SIG SLMAG in 338NM and 7.62 NATO

Sig Sauer is diving big time into the military small arms big time in the last few years. Once mainly a pistol manufacturers with a few rifle offerings is turning into some thing like HK and FN, that supplies everything from pistols, rifles, SMGs to GPMG. Sig actually goes one step further with suppressors and optics.

The SLMAG is a multi-calibre machine gun. The calibre specific components are the barrel, breech block and the feed paws. It is sort of a response to the General Dynamics 338NM Medium Machine Gun, but it is also a direct challenge to the aging FN MAG58/C6 and the newer HK MG5. At 20lb dry with extensive aluminium construction, the SLMAG is turning FN MAG58 / C6 into an obsolete system with a lot of advanced features.

First of all, SLMAG can be fed from left or right, and it can also eject links and casings left or right. The change can be done by simply punching out a roll pin to reverse the feed paws. To reload the SLMAG, there is no need to open the feed cover to place the new link on the feed tray. The user simply pushes the link into feed tray from the side entrance, and there is a mechanism in the feed tray that will "click" the link into the feeding position. No more reaching over to place link on feed tray, fighting the link while it is sliding off.....

The early model and including this model have a Negev like arrangement, but the production model will have a side opening full length feed cover that allows full access to the breech block. SIG promises a 100% zero retention for optics mounted on the feed cover. Also like the HK MG5, the barrel can be changed without retracting the breech block to the rear, so last round off the link the barrel can be changed immediately.

Sig also indicates the feel recoil of the first round is less than 5 lb, so to ensure first round hit. So if the gun is zero-ed with a decent optic, it is capable of achieving first round hit at point target. In a way, it is an area weapon that can do the work of an "automatic rifle" if needed. Unlike the FN MAG and C6, the SLMAG also has "mlok" like slots in the underside. This allows attachment points for future development of ammo carrying system.

Name:  IMG_0798.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  92.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0799.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  79.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0790.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  82.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0792.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  75.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0793.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  54.0 KB
    Last edited by greentips; 01-23-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VanIsleCam's Avatar
    Is a "first child" sufficient for a deposit?
    Proarm Militant - Variant Factory - Data Shopper - Fringe Minority

it looks quite large, I'd be interested to see it beside a c6 for comparisons sake. It has some interesting features, but I'm unsure of the 338NM choice (I know the us military made the caliber choice, not sig). Barrel life, in an MG can be a challenge, won't a 338NM chew through that kinda quickly?
    A bunch of idiots standing in line together against you doesn't change the fact that they are all idiots...

CGN Regular
    I need one of those! I had previously yearned for an M249S, but SIG all the way!

I wonder if they do succeed in getting the contract, if they will produce a semi-auto version?
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by mustang979 View Post
    it looks quite large, I'd be interested to see it beside a c6 for comparisons sake. It has some interesting features, but I'm unsure of the 338NM choice (I know the us military made the caliber choice, not sig). Barrel life, in an MG can be a challenge, won't a 338NM chew through that kinda quickly?
    It is designed for 338 NM so it has bigger receiver. It is a medium MG and not a GPMG as we understand right now.

But the technologies going into making a 20 lb medium MG with all the new features make the riveted steel plates FN MAG 58/C9 obsolete. Even the newer HK M5 is no lighter than the FN because it uses a cast receiver, that is still a chunk of steel. No one has the will, foresight and resources to ask for a light MG, until the US special forces pull its weight 60 years after FN marketed the MAG 58.

If a light weight medium MG becomes a purchased item, there will be a lot of pressure to have a lighter GPMG ( if 7.62 is to stay on as the GPMG cartridge ). It makes no sense to have a bigger longer range weapon that is lighter and with the new ammo technology that will have the same weight of ammo, compared to a shorter range GPMG.
    Last edited by greentips; 01-24-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account