Thread: Training Hardware: Post Pictures of your Training Rigs....

Business Member

Training Hardware: Post Pictures of your Training Rigs....

You do TRAIN don't you? This discussion is about showing the rigs you TRAIN with...competition rigs are secondary but context picture of both rigs would be helpful.

Shameful plug for Project Mapleseed (RickK or rickster66) since his organization focuses on training and then performance. Yeah, it would be nice to focus on OWNING rigs, but frankly, your (Religion Teacher input here....) training/preparation/mindset is just as or more important that that $$ rig you shoot with.

Common mistakes made by rookies when chatting with me....

* Don't tell me what you OWN... tell me HOW you train...
    * Tell me what you use to get out and train
    * Muscle memory is everything
    * Mental Management is crucial: you CANNOT ever win without IT!

So post pictures of your training rigs. Here's mine alongside the competition .260 rig in Magpul Hunter 700 stock.

Notice I train with ANOTHER Mark4 optic on my .22LR CZ455 Varmint in Boyd's Tacticool Laminated Stock....

WHAT do YOU use to train with?

What do you train others with?

Post some pictures

Cheers,

Barney

Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 10-31-2017 at 08:44 PM.

CQB Training

TacticalTeacher

I like this thread, can I contribute too??

Through out he last 6 years or so I have had several Ar-15 & Ar-10 Rigs.

A lot of my base training is done through attending courses, and when a course is scheduled, I usually end up either building from new, or adapting an existing AR-15 or AR-10 specifically towards that course.

Its no secret that TacticalTeacher is coming to Alberta. The course I have in mind is the CDTSA - Milo Range CQB Clinic 29-30 April

Well old habits have come to bear, and the following is the carbine I plan to use.

What you see here started life as a factory Windham Weaponry M-4 Carbine (you know that Windham is the OLD Bushmaster when they used to make quality stuff right??) that I recently purchased off the board from a respectable nutter friend of mine.

However those of you who know me well, know I just can leave AR's alone. As such I added a few personal touches to this one. All parts were pretty much in the bin.

The stock parts were removed and replaced with the following:

• CTR Stock (Mil-spec) that locks up solid with out movement
    • LMT Mil-spec 6 position buffer Tube and lock nut
    • BCM low profile stock end-plate with QD swivel attachment
    • 2H carbine buffer with mil-spec spring
    • C-7 Charging Handle latch was added
    • Colt Full auto style hammer and trigger with hand selected springs
    • Ambi- Selector
    • Norgon Ambi Mag release
    • a "Zombie Hunter" Dust cover
    • Mid-West Industries Carbine length free float tube

For sights/optics I added a GG&G MAD style folding BUIS and a Holosun 403G mini red dot were added. (Deal Alert ->The Holosun is actually a really good optic for the money spent!!)

I happen to have some black KAC Rail covers and vertical grip that I plan to add.

The next couple of items would have to be purchased, but I am considering adding a 3X magnifier that can flip to the side for better target delineation, and a Micro Liniar comp (about the same size as an A-2 flash hider), so that all blast will be directed down range away from the shooter and those close by.

Please keep in mind that I am a left handed shooter, and that all of these mods were with an eye to improve function and/or ergonomics [except the dust cover, that was just for fun ]

As to how I will continue to train for Service Rilfe - CQB, I am hoping the course will give me a blue print to follow, and point out what week area's of my muscle memory and technique need to be worked on.

I will do my best to field any questions, and very much look forward to any constructive comments you might have.

Thanks in advance

Regards and all the best

AbH

Black Rifle Precision Shooting

In addition to the above post, here is my precision AR-15 Training Rig

I can provide spec if people are interested, however I would prefer to share on how I train with this. In general I just shoot the dot's. Allow me to explain

As tactical shooters, its not so much about group size, as it is about hit on target. To that end I thought I would share one of my accuracy drills that I have adapted from "Snipers Hide Forum", as well as (as long as TacticalTeacher allows) throw a challenge out to all of you black rifle owners. I have made my own targets, and they look as follows:

This is the 50M picture:

The above target is printed on letter size paper (8.5 x 11 inch) and as the dot are .5", it is meant for use at 50 meters (more or less MOA for that distance). As the distance increases, so do the dots.

The following links should allow those who want to try this to print their own targets:

AbH's Dot Dot Torture Target - 50M Target - Color

AbH's Dot Dot Torture - 100M Target - Color

Further, to help get the right sight setting, here is a simple Sight in Target for 100M (the grid should have 1" squares)

AbH's Dot Sight In - 100M Target - color

Drill Procedures are as follows.

-All twenty dots must be shot in one sitting, with a maximum of 20 minutes to complete the target

-There is only one shot per dot (double shots are considered a miss)

-shots are scored either hit or miss (as long as you cut the edge of the dot its a hit)

-The position I generally use is either off the bench, or prone, with a bi-pod front, and a rear bag of some kind (if you use a different position just make note of it on the target)

-Simply keep the target to keep track of your performance.

This drill is actually tougher than one might think, and generally rate performance results as follows:

Notable Performance - 15 hits

Level 1 Merit Badge - 20 hits.

Level 2 Merit Badge - 20 hits, with 10 of the 20 hits Inside the circle

Level 3 Merit Badge - 20 hits, all 20 hits inside the circle.

I look forward to your constructive comments, thoughts, and results!!

Regards

AbH

CGN Ultra frequent flyer grelmar's Avatar
    Windham AR... Well, mostly kinda sorta (have swapped out a few things) with a 1.5-6x Vomz scope. I've changed a few things since the pic - gotten rid of the BUIS. That Vomz scope is bomb proof. If it fails, then most likely a very bad day anyway. Also added a weapon light up front mounted off to the side from the front sight pic rail. Also have a single point sling that will be getting tried out for the first time at the CDTSA CQB clinic. I frigging HATE single point slings. But I'll give it a go at the clinic and see if Barney can demonstrate why they don't suck. Then throw it out after the clinic most likely.

Hatsan MPA 12 gauge that I've tuned and swapped out some furniture and hit with BBQ paint. Runs like a champ. Thinking of mounting my (currently homeless) Vortex RDS on it, but not sure... Truth is the sights on this are great as is. The Hatsan's have a spotty rep for reliability, but it's been a couple thousand rounds since I last cleaned it, and it doesn't seem to care.

My Blue Force Gear chest rig with HSG TACOs and an accessories pouch. Currently the pouch has some very basic First Aid gear in it, with room for more crap once I figure out what crap I want to fill it out with.

Business Member
    My current trainer CZ455 Synthetic as I train for PRS and recoil mitigation techniques hahaha

Okay winters coming so now I have to switch to dry firing once the snow drifts pile up at my home gun club!!!

Cheers, Barney

BANNED
    Looking forward to my next class. And practicing things I learned on the range.

Was going to pick up the IOTA (Indoor Optical Training Aid) off of Chuck on SnipersHide, but since he is not setup to take payment online (online US cash through the mail), I went out and got my own made for a fraction of the cost. As with the IOTA, this lens fits inside a butler creek cap and brings the focus down to between 10-14 feet (which is 1/3 of the minimum focus I can achieve with my S&B).

Once I had the optical bits sorted out, I then began converting a few PRS match books I have laying around to scale the targets to the reduced distance (i.e....a 12" Diamond at 572m in a match, translates to a 2mm target at 12ft). I size the targets in photoshop and then aim/dryfire at the computer screen. I am able to practice dialling or holding for elevation or windage, target transitions, etc... The re-sized virtual targets will give you the same sight picture as if you were shooting at full distance in a match.

I plan to use this over the winter for prone and barricade dry firing, as well as improving my speed for the 2018 PRS season.

<any out of focus areas are from taking an iPhone pic through the scope>
    <The last photo is from the Troop Line Stage in Meaford last year>

Chris

PM inbound

This needs to be bumped Would really like to do some dry fire practice.

Can you share the targets you prepped?