Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maple Ridge Armoury Match Nitride 5R 18.6" 308 barrel issues.

No the pin came loose and tilts side to side, so when I try to tighten the barrel nut the barrel moves with it. So when the pin is on a slight angle when tightening it doesn't contact the alinement slot in the receiver straight but on an angle which
    is in my opinion what caused the deformation on my receiver.

That extension looks like it is peeling....that is very concerning. I have yet to install mine and I believe MRA buys these extensions from a 3rd party....I sure hope this is not the norm.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Is there any reason why these barrel extensions even need to be coated? Is it supposed to increase surface hardness/wear resistance, or something else?

What's wrong with a plain stainless steel extension?
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

So... Any updates?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Is there any reason why these barrel extensions even need to be coated? Is it supposed to increase surface hardness/wear resistance, or something else?

What's wrong with a plain stainless steel extension?
    Nitride finish would be better IF they are smooth and free of tool marks and burrs.

Quote Originally Posted by ryushi View Post
    No the pin came loose and tilts side to side, so when I try to tighten the barrel nut the barrel moves with it. So when the pin is on a slight angle when tightening it doesn't contact the alinement slot in the receiver straight but on an angle which
    is in my opinion what caused the deformation on my receiver.
    What are you using to install and remove barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by scourge18a View Post
    What are you using to install and remove barrels?
    I've been using a barrel reaction rod and torquing to 45lbs.

I've been using a barrel reaction rod and torquing to 45lbs.
    Interesting... So the force might've been too much for the pin to handle and it broke loose?
    Last edited by Bonjour43ma; 01-31-2019 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonjour43ma View Post
    So... Any updates?
    I'm still waiting for Maple Ridge to respond to my emails.

Business Member
    Just wondering if anyone with the Nitride 5R barrel are having issues with the alinement pin on the extension coming loose and the plating on the face of the extension starting to peal off?
    Is it common for the plating to come off like that, and when I try to tighten the barrel the pin tilts and the barrel moves, I had it installed already but had to remove it to install a new handguard and
    now the pin is loose. I have about a 150 rounds through it so far.
    We are not receiving emails to info@mapleridgearmoury.com right now, we are working to correct this. Please send all emails to ryanj@victoryridgesports.ca for the time being.

This is the first case of an index pin coming loose and of the NiB plating flaking. This is not anything that could have been caught in QC and it is highly unusual.

The barrel extensions are torqued on at 140ft-lb and the index pin is hammered into place. FYI It is the torque on the barrel nut that holds it in place on the barrel. The index pin is there to index the barrel to the receiver and although it does recess slightly into the barrel chamber threads, it is doing very little to hold the barrel nut in place.

To answer another question about the plating, we use a NiB plating to increase surface wear and corrosion resistance. The extensions are not stainless steel, they are 8620 and will corrode if not oiled or otherwise treated. The cost of plating vs Nitride is very close and the NiB has served us well for two years so we will continue to use this process. The extensions are machined for us under contract and then plated at a professional plating company with Aerospace and Defence contracts. We have certificates of conformity for our plating along with all of our other post-production processes.

Now to address the warranty issue.

Who originally installed the barrel for you?

It would have taken an extreme amount of rotational force applied directly to the barrel for the extension to loosen from the barrel even without an index pin in place. During installation of the the barrel nut only the receiver and barrel extension are contacted by the nut and rotational force is only applied to the barrel nut. Under what circumstances was rotational force applied to the barrel?

As for the index pin coming loose, the only thing I can think of is an out of tolerance pin or nut. If the pin was on the short side of the tolerance and the hole in the nut was on the high side of that tolerance, then stacking these tolerances, I could see how the pin may have seemed tight during installation but lateral force being applied the pin could have pulled it free. If the pin was so loose as to slide into the hole easily then we would have caught this during installation and scrapped either the pin or the extension. Of course the NiB plating adds about 0.0005" so this would make the index pin hole smaller by 0.001" meaning the pin or the extension would have to be waaaaaaaaay out of tolerance which should have been caught during assembly and QC.

Of course this definitely sounds like it is covered under our limited lifetime warranty and we will replace the barrel. Please email us at ryanj@victoryridgesports.ca and provide the following:

Copy of receipt
    Description of issue and events leading up to manifestation of the issue
    Images of the product complete plus areas of concern

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast