Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Maple Ridge Armoury Match Nitride 5R 18.6" 308 barrel issues.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryushi View Post
    I've done some research online about reaction rods and vise blocks and found that some index pins can actually shear off with enough force when using reaction rods. I have put a lot more torque on an AR-15 nut while trying to index it with no damage, but I was using a clam shell style vise block. I also looked at the engagement of my reaction rod with the barrel extension and believe that it's the cause of the nickle boron to flake.

Maple Ridge Arms have contacted me and want me to send them my upper receiver along with the barrel, gas block, muzzle brake, handguard and reaction rod. I think they will probably come to the same conclusion about the reaction rod. I will post the results of their investigation when I get it.
    We have received the barrel and upon inspection we have determined that the pin was loosened during installation and not a result of manufacturing. We are repairing the barrel free of charge as a customer service gesture. We will have the barrel returned by early next week.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonjour43ma View Post
    Updates?
    See above

Good to hear. Someone else just posted in another thread saying their extension pin is also loose ... Is it better to not use ant reaction rod type of tool to install the barrel nut?

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonjour43ma View Post
    Good to hear. Someone else just posted in another thread saying their extension pin is also loose ... Is it better to not use ant reaction rod type of tool to install the barrel nut?
    The second post has said the index pin is loose but also that the BCL102 receiver is larger than the pin. There have been cases with other barrels where the barrel was torqued and the steel index pin crushed the 6061 BCL102 receivers resulting in a loose fitment. We are still investigating this matter. We have not determined anything at this time.

In this thread, the index pin came loose during installation, not during manufacture.

We use reaction rods without issue. The reaction rod holds the barrel extension in place. If too much torque is applied to the barrel when using a reaction rod, the barrel can rotate free of the barrel extension, loosening the index pin since the pin is punched into the OD chamber threads. Since the barrel extensions are torqued on to 140 ft/lbs, the force required to free the barrel from the extension would need to be greater than this.

Another way the index pin can come loose is if the hand guard being used required the use of supplied barrel nut shims to properly lock the barrel into the receiver. If the shims were not used, the barrel was not properly seated in the receiver. In this way, the barrel can move freely and the steel index pin can crush into the receiver. In this way, the index pin would be pulled free of the barrel extension due to the receiver prying one side of the index pin free.

If you dont over torque your muzzle device and ensure the hand guard barrel nut has securely locked the barrel into the receiver, you shouldnt have any issues with your barrel just like the other 4,000 + customers who use MRA barrels.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456