Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sector Optics G1T2 1-8x Scope with embedded Thermal, LRF

Nicholas C combines a night vision Clip-on with the Sector Optics G1T2 thermal LPVO. So you can have night vision, thermal and laser range finder all in the same sight picture.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer GerardSamija's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by North_Sylva View Post
    Nicholas C combines a night vision Clip-on with the Sector Optics G1T2 thermal LPVO. So you can have night vision, thermal and laser range finder all in the same sight picture.
    At the 1:08 mark you can see the buffering or pause I was talking about in the T20 thread. About a second in this example. I've seen a pause of up to 2 seconds. Seems it's been carried over to the unit they've incorporated into the G1T2, known during pre-retail testing as the T25, which they decided not to market as a standalone thermal unit. It's something I see almost 100% of the time within the first 30 seconds of turning on the T20, and which sometimes occurs later during sweeps of the landscape, especially when a strong contrast between heat signatures is traversed.

The tiny thermal view inset into the scope view would usable only for seeing signs of heat, not really aligning with the scope reticle (could have been a problem of the guy making the video having failed to zero the thermal unit to co-witness on the main scope reticle - it probably has an adjustable reticle zero and he just didn't know this), as it's just too small for aiming at anything further than maybe 50 yards. In my experience with the T20, anything further than about 7 yards on rats gives me too high a miss percentage with an airgun. That's because a) the reticle adjustments are too coarse, about 1/2" per click at 10 yards, and b) because the reticle zero on both the T12N and the T20 sometimes decides to be somewhere other than where I set it for some period, returning later, sometimes being correctable using 2 or 3 power cycles. Not the sort of reliability I want for rats, and certainly not something I'd put into use on larger living targets at greater distances.

Adding in the rather strange scope reticle choice, which seems optimal for 100 yards or closer but pretty much useless at greater distances (as the long tracer round shot demonstrated, the bullet dropping more than halfway down the very thick vertical reticle line) where precise MIL or MOA lines are essential for holdover calculation, and I'm left yet again wondering if the design team at Sector (formerly Torrey Pines) has a single shooter among them. It's like they're afraid to ask actual shooting enthusiasts about what will work and what won't. Very odd, considering how much neat tech they're putting into these devices.

I have my T20 set up on my PCC now as a backup night optic, a 'SHTF' sort of thing. I tried for a long time to make it work for ratting. But with my infrared setup resulting in 100% 1-shot 1-kill ratio and the T20 dropping that to about 1 out of 3 shots... it just didn't make any sense at all. That's at ranges between 5 and 15 yards for both, with an airgun which puts 100% of .177" pellets inside an 8mm hole at 10 metres from a rest. It ain't the gun, and it certainly ain't the shooter. Going back to a Carson Mini Aura infrared monocular adapted to fit behind a 3x scope, I'm back to dropping every rat in one shot. Though the infrared light glowing red does alert them to my presence, I generally have between 1 and 2 seconds of putting crosshairs on them to take the shot, plenty of time. It just would have been nice to have a bit less time pressure after paying $1,000 for the T20, only to find it's not reliable. Sector needs to seriously up their game in all aspects, not just cool toy whiz bang stuff.

Firmware v.4.0.1 changes:

The main changes are actually very key in this release.

• There is a reticle that can be turned on in the heads-up display inside of the G1 Scope ocular
    • The reticle zeroing has 20 step up, down, left, and right, instead of the previous 9 steps in each direction.

These both give extra functionality to the System and have been asked for multiple times.
    Last edited by North_Sylva; 02-16-2021 at 08:28 AM.

Red Deer Shooting Center is getting restocked with a couple of these next week.

Quote Originally Posted by GerardSamija View Post
    At the 1:08 mark you can see the buffering or pause I was talking about in the T20 thread. About a second in this example. I've seen a pause of up to 2 seconds. Seems it's been carried over to the unit they've incorporated into the G1T2, known during pre-retail testing as the T25, which they decided not to market as a standalone thermal unit. It's something I see almost 100% of the time within the first 30 seconds of turning on the T20, and which sometimes occurs later during sweeps of the landscape, especially when a strong contrast between heat signatures is traversed.
    The "buffering" or "pause" happens when the unit is running Non-Uniformity Correction (NUC). This applies to all thermal imaging units from all brands.

https://www.flir.ca/discover/profess...orrection-nuc/

These were shipped to a non-CGN sponsored dealer. Please PM for details.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123