Thread: Steiner CQD Thermal Reflex Sight

Steiner CQD Thermal Reflex Sight

So far all of the thermal weapon sights use digital reticles, this means the power is down the sight becomes a broken TV. Nothing but darkness. Either it is powered up in thermal imaging mode, or nothing.

Steiner solves this issue by projecting the thermal image to the reflex sight. This means if the thermal is not working, the sight will still function as a regular reflex sight. This is a very smart idea. The user can turn the thermal image on and off, while maintaining the sight picture. The user can also see through the thermal imaging super imposed over the normal sight picture, and get more "understanding" of the image.

Obviously this thing is still a prototype, as you can see the rapid prototyping techniques used in making the bodies. The only down side is the thermal sensor is too close to the receiver, this means the top of the rail and handguard have to be clear of any obstructions in front of this device.

Name:  IMG_0801.JPG
Views: 1198
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0802.JPG
Views: 1205
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0803.JPG
Views: 1239
Size:  97.9 KB

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Great idea!

very cool I cant believe how small it is. Any idea on the range it will have or if heat from the barrel will effect it.?
    Ontario red neck

I would buy this.

8k the rep said

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Green .223 View Post
    very cool I cant believe how small it is. Any idea on the range it will have or if heat from the barrel will effect it.?
    No idea. But the range depends on the core. The more money you pay, the better the range. Since it is a reflex sight and there could be a version for the LE/Mil use, I think the core will have something at least in the performance level of the FLIR Breach.

A lot of commercial thermal cores are not very useful other than looking at static picture, because they are too slow in refreshing rate and jerky with motion.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mebiuspower's Avatar
    How am I supposed to do Costa C-Clamp with that?