Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Remington model 7 ss HS

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Don't take this wrong, I love HS Precision stocks and this will be a huge improvement over the tupperware stock BUT the HS isn't exactly a lightweight stock.

Would have rather seen the Model 7 come with a McMillan but you know, cost is always something companies have to factor into production.
    It's 6lbs without the optic, so around 7lbs with a scope. I think that hits a sweet spot of light enough to be handy and just heavy enough to be steady under stress.

The Model 7 is an offshoot of the Remington 600 series, which inspired Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle concept. Strangely, all the factory Scout rifles available today weigh more than the 3kgs Cooper specified, while the Model 7 with a lightweight scope will hit the mark.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterII View Post
    It's 6lbs without the optic, so around 7lbs with a scope. I think that hits a sweet spot of light enough to be handy and just heavy enough to be steady under stress.

The Model 7 is an offshoot of the Remington 600 series, which inspired Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle concept. Strangely, all the factory Scout rifles available today weigh more than the 3kgs Cooper specified, while the Model 7 with a lightweight scope will hit the mark.
    I'm not going to disagree with you on that. 6lbs is really not bad. I just think an "out of the box" Model 7 has the potential to compete with some of the other truly lightweight rifles, weight wise.

Even my Howa Alpine in .243 (nice but not exactly high end) weighs in naked right around the 6lb mark. It's advertised at 5.7lb but that's with the plastic dbm kit and no mag. So with the hinged floor plate I'm really close to 6lbs.

The Howa has a boat anchor for a receiver compared to the Model 7. The weight savings is in the Banser stock.

With a different choice of stock (other than the HS) the Model 7 could be a truly lightweight rifle. However that would mean higher costs which translate into a more competitive market once the pricing enters some of the higher end brands territory.

The manufacturer has to weigh the cost to benefit ratio so I don't think Remington made a bad choice to go with the HS stock. It will still be a nice rifle that will be available at an affordable price.

I was more than less pointing out the lightweight potential of the Model 7.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nomad 68's Avatar
    NS,Alberta and sometimes, points in between
    I suppose if one wants, they could do a bit of internal work to lighten the HS stock? Remove a bit of material here or there. Maybe a lighter recoil pad. I am likely to go for the .308 so, I am fine with 6lb bare. A set of talleys and a leupold ultra light and I think that's a perfect deer rifle.

Deep in the Darkest Bush there is ! and Kamloops
    I have a Rem M7 Stainless Steel 7-08 - 20 " barrel with a Bell & Carlson stock on it - Fluted Bolt - Lightened Trigger pull - Talley Silver LW Rings- Silver Leupold VX111 scope - All in LIKE new Condition ! Shoots Barnes 120 TTSX at 3030 FPS into 5/8 group ! Weights just a tad under 6 3/4 lbs (107.5 oz) I might sell it as i never use it - PM me if interested ! RJ
    INDIGENOUS JIM - Born and Raised in British Columbia and A Canadian !

The 284 WIN - is the Original Short Magnum !

Hey guys!

Nick here from Reliable, I am a big fan of the Sevens. I have the SS HS on order in a few different calibers so reach out to me if you would like one.

I have personally have one in 7mm-08, a custom barreled one in 358(my favorite and go to rifle) and have just sent off another Seven action to International Barrels (IBI) because they have a 338 Federal reamer in bound. If you have any questions please let me know!
    FIND US ON FACEBOOK OR FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM

Ph: 604 874 4710 Fax: 604 874 4712
    Toll Free 1 800 407 5224
    3227 Fraser Street • Vancouver • BC • V5V 4B8
    Hours of Store: Tuesday - Friday 9 - 5:30 PM
    Saturday 9 - 5 PM
    EMAIL: orders@reliablegun.com
    http://www.reliablegun.com

Full Line direct dealer for
    Remington, Marlin, Browning, Bushnell, Tikka, Sako, Beretta, Benelli, Savage Arms, Ruger, NightForce, Trijicon, PWS, Nikon, Kel-Tec, Fenix Flashlights, Kent Cartridges and MANY MORE

Quote Originally Posted by reliablegun View Post
    Hey guys!

Nick here from Reliable, I am a big fan of the Sevens. I have the SS HS on order in a few different calibers so reach out to me if you would like one.

I have personally have one in 7mm-08, a custom barreled one in 358(my favorite and go to rifle) and have just sent off another Seven action to International Barrels (IBI) because they have a 338 Federal reamer in bound. If you have any questions please let me know!
    Rough idea where these are going to be priced at? thanks

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad 68 View Post
    Rough idea where these are going to be priced at? thanks
    Yes would be good to know ! What calibers will you be getting in and expected time of arrival ?
    Thank You !
    Leavenworth

Uber Super GunNutz
    B&C and HS precision stocks are basically the same but HS costs more. So not sure why Rem wouldn't have gone B&C and save everyone money or offer a real light weight rifle with a wildcat or McMillan edge. One of the latter would probably take another half pound off.

CGN frequent flyer
    Has anyone handled one of these new Model Seven SS in 6.5 Creedmoor ?
    Please tell us about it .
    Thanks Leavenworth

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth View Post
    Has anyone handled one of these new Model Seven SS in 6.5 Creedmoor ?
    Please tell us about it .
    Thanks Leavenworth
    They are likely not even in Canada yet. I wouldn't expect to see them til June at the earliest.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast