Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The new 783 Varmint

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    "Tradition" perhaps? Same reason why the 22-250 carries a 1:14, which seems to be because that twist is optimized for bullets lighter than 55 grs which were what was originally used.

There remains a belief that twists faster than 1:9 will "over stabilize" the 55 gr and lighter bullets.

Andy....

Many years ago I stumbled upon a take off 1 in 9” twist Remmy M700 SPS tac 20” Barrel at Rick’s shop (ATRS). I took it to Elwood Epps shop and they installed and rechambered that rig to 22-250 in hopes that I could launch Sierra 69 grain MK booolts at NSCC in Connaught Ranges.

I tried out that combination in the Ottawa Valley on bilingual groundhogs with phenomenal success. Launched several of them towards Arnprior. Hahahahaha I could tell they were bilingual since I wore amplifying ear muffs I swear I could hear the Holy Calis Taber....you know the rest!

A buddy of mine from the Durham Maxwell are of Grey County wanted it so badly for his groundhogs and other misadventures, he made me an offer I could not resist. It was a wonderful experiment,

9” twist Remmy SPS Tac in 22-250....who woulda thought?

Cheers, Barney

I like. This might be enough for me to get into 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Andy

Since 1958

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    ^^^ FYI the Bergara B-14 HMR comes in 22-250 with a 1in9 twist.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nomad 68's Avatar
    NS,Alberta and sometimes, points in between
    I understand the heavy barrel trend for bench work. But I can't quite understand why they are quite successfully marketed as hunting rigs. I own a heavy barrel predator rifle and it's a b*itch to lug around lol. Going forward, my barrels for hunting purposes will be sporter profile.just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad 68 View Post
    I understand the heavy barrel trend for bench work. But I can't quite understand why they are quite successfully marketed as hunting rigs. I own a heavy barrel predator rifle and it's a b*itch to lug around lol. Going forward, my barrels for hunting purposes will be sporter profile.just my $.02.
    These weigh about 7.5 lbs without scope. That's not considered very heavy, especially with a 26" barrel.
    Andy

Since 1958

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meathook View Post
    Reading is hard
    The 783s in the synthetic stocks were susposed to be free floated but lots were touching the barrel because of the flexibility of the stock. I dremeled mine out in the channel and it made a huge improvement. These ones probably won't have that problem with a wood stock. Easy fix either way.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nomad 68's Avatar
    NS,Alberta and sometimes, points in between
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    These weigh about 7.5 lbs without scope. That's not considered very heavy, especially with a 26" barrel.
    I read that weight somewhere and I have to admit, I am quite skeptical of it. A 26" heavy barrel with laminate at 7.5lb? That seems implausible to me.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    Maybe. A 783 30.06 with a 22" barrel and Vortex Viper scope only weighs 8lb.7oz.
    Name:  2019-02-02 12.22.00.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  60.5 KB

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    That’s a nice looking rifle, I wish Remington would offer these in a left hand action. I would snap up a .308 in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad 68 View Post
    I read that weight somewhere and I have to admit, I am quite skeptical of it. A 26" heavy barrel with laminate at 7.5lb? That seems implausible to me.
    Just reporting what Remington states on their website.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-783/model-783-varmint

Go to the table and scroll right.

MODEL 783 VARMINT SPECIFICATIONS

CALIBER TWIST
    (RIGHT HAND)
    OVERALL
    LENGTH
    LENGTH
    OF PULL
    DROP
    (COMB)
    DROP
    (HEEL)
    BARREL
    MATERIAL
    BARREL
    FINISH
    STOCK
    MATERIAL
    STOCK
    FINISH
    AVG. WT.
    (LBS.)
    308 Win Find Locally 1:10 45-3/4" 13 3/8" 1" 1 5/8" Carbon Steel Matte Blue Brown Laminate High Gloss 7.5
    223 Remington Find Locally 1:9 45-3/4" 13 3/8" 1" 1 5/8" Carbon Steel Matte Blue Brown Laminate High Gloss 7.5
    22-250 Remington Find Locally 1:14 45-3/4" 13 3/8" 1" 1 5/8" Carbon Steel Matte Blue Brown Laminate High Gloss 7.5
    243 Win Find Locally 1:9-1/8 45-3/4" 13 3/8" 1" 1 5/8" Carbon Steel Matte Blue Brown Laminate High Gloss 7.5
    6.5 Creedmoor Find Locally 1:8 45 3/4" 13 3/8" 1" 1 5/8" Carbon Steel Matte Blue Brown Laminate High Gloss 7.5

Andy

Since 1958

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast