Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The new 783 Varmint

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nomad 68's Avatar
    NS,Alberta and sometimes, points in between
    That's amazing. the stock must be skeletonized internally to hit that weight target. I've got a savage 10xp predator with a 22" medium heavy in synthetic( non accustock) and it weighs 7 1/4 lb empty.
    Last edited by nomad 68; 02-02-2019 at 06:10 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by remington jim View Post
    Tikka T3X come in 22-250 with a 8 TWIST now ! RJ
    Now it will be just like a modern .250-3000 with light bullets.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I needs a .222 1-14

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumlee Bumsnag View Post
    Great. Now they change the cough drop bolt knob. Is the barrel free floated on these?
    They switched out the bolt knob on the heavy barrel models too. I think only the base model 783 (like my 7mag) come with the stupid shaped knob. I'll be cutting mine off and threading the stub one of these days...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Just reporting what Remington states on their website.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-783/model-783-varmint

Go to the table and scroll right.

MODEL 783 VARMINT SPECIFICATIONS

CALIBER TWIST
    (RIGHT HAND)
    OVERALL
    LENGTH
    LENGTH
    OF PULL
    DROP
    (COMB)
    DROP
    (HEEL)
    BARREL
    MATERIAL
    BARREL
    FINISH
    STOCK
    MATERIAL
    STOCK
    FINISH
    AVG. WT.
    (LBS.)
    308 Win Find Locally 1:10 45-3/4" 13 3/8" 1" 1 5/8" Carbon Steel Matte Blue Brown Laminate High Gloss 7.5
    223 Remington Find Locally 1:9 45-3/4" 13 3/8" 1" 1 5/8" Carbon Steel Matte Blue Brown Laminate High Gloss 7.5
    22-250 Remington Find Locally 1:14 45-3/4" 13 3/8" 1" 1 5/8" Carbon Steel Matte Blue Brown Laminate High Gloss 7.5
    243 Win Find Locally 1:9-1/8 45-3/4" 13 3/8" 1" 1 5/8" Carbon Steel Matte Blue Brown Laminate High Gloss 7.5
    6.5 Creedmoor Find Locally 1:8 45 3/4" 13 3/8" 1" 1 5/8" Carbon Steel Matte Blue Brown Laminate High Gloss 7.5

I'll throw my 7mag on the scale in a bit. With a regular barrel at 24" it should be lighter than the varmints...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    They switched out the bolt knob on the heavy barrel models too. I think only the base model 783 (like my 7mag) come with the stupid shaped knob. I'll be cutting mine off and threading the stub one of these days...
    Its nice that they addressed that in this version. I just ordered a bolt on lift knob on ebay and am going to try it before I cut off the cough drop
    Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  21.0 KB

Its nice that they addressed that in this version. I just ordered a bolt on lift knob on ebay and am going to try it before I cut off the cough drop
    Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  21.0 KB
    Interesting. Right now I have one of those Tourbon rubber slip on knobs, but I don't really like it. What did the one cost you?

And my 7mag weighs exactly 7lb6oz, so I highly doubt the varmints with a heavy barrel that's 2 inches longer will be 7lb8oz. Plus the wood stock is probably heavier than my plastic one, and it comes with a rail... Now I want to see a varmint on the scale just to see how off remington is...

I think you will find the slower twist rates are due to their primary intended use, which is "varmint gun". In which case the traditional idea is a flat trajectory, attained by a light weight bullet going super fast, so no fast twist required...

But if you are marketing a "long range varmint" gun, then the twist rates will likely increase.
    Religion is the most destructive of all of mankinds inventions~

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    It was around $48.

It was around $48.
    Damn. The Tourbon rubber ball was only $15 for a two pack (two diff sizes). It makes it pretty bulbous (I'll take a pic later maybe) but it's still an improvement over stock.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast