Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rem 783 450 Bushmaster?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    - winchester just released the 350 legend to try and capitalize on that niche.
    was looking at it. CMMG does that caliber in an AR, it says it uses a proprietary magazine which would be good to meat our magazine laws. Time will only tell if it becomes popular. Winchester isn't the gun maker it use to be, so some other big names will have to start offering the caliber for it to really take off
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by slim123 View Post
    but i'll stick with a 16" mag fed 308 bolt gun....never fails
    Cant go wrong there. I picked up a gunsite in both the 308 and 450 BM. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Get both at some point!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    was looking at it. CMMG does that caliber in an AR, it says it uses a proprietary magazine which would be good to meat our magazine laws. Time will only tell if it becomes popular. Winchester isn't the gun maker it use to be, so some other big names will have to start offering the caliber for it to really take off
    Wouldn't the fact it uses a propriety mag be a bad thing? It would mean you can't get 10rd pistol mags? I guess it avoids the issues that the 50beo has though and you won't get limited to less than 5?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Wouldn't the fact it uses a propriety mag be a bad thing? It would mean you can't get 10rd pistol mags? I guess it avoids the issues that the 50beo has though and you won't get limited to less than 5?
    The 350 legend is just a straight wall 223 case with a 35 cal bullet. You can use 10 rnd polymer pistol mags if you grind out the divider in the front or steel pistol mags with no modifications to the mag as they dont have that divider in them. Looks like an interesting round but its basically a rimless 357 max. The numbers on it aren't very impressive either but it would be fun to shoot about 2 boxes of it out of a semi

I guess it avoids the issues that the 50beo has though and you won't get limited to less than 5?
    exactly why it's a good thing
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    The 350 legend is just a straight wall 223 case with a 35 cal bullet. You can use 10 rnd polymer pistol mags if you grind out the divider in the front or steel pistol mags with no modifications to the mag as they dont have that divider in them. Looks like an interesting round but its basically a rimless 357 max. The numbers on it aren't very impressive either but it would be fun to shoot about 2 boxes of it out of a semi
    I agree the numbers aren't that amazing. I wanted one when I first saw it, but only a few weeks later I'm having trouble thinking of a use for it... If I hunted out of a tree stand and didn't take shots over 100yds then it sounds like a fine choice, but I don't... And I don't like medium bore AR cartridges very much either, I feel like the 6.5grendel is about as big as you can go without losing too much velocity for my liking, unless you use bullets with dreadful ballistics and sectional densities. 450bm or 50beo would be neat for close quarters hog hunting but I don't do that either so... And as a hunter first and foremost, I see no reason to get something like that over the tried and true 45-70...

I did want a big and slow cartridge just to get some first hand experience with wound channels, how game reacts, ect to that vs the small fast stuff I typically shoot (243w, 270w, 7RM) but something like the 9.3x57 or 358win seem like much better options for that sort of thing - I'd be comfortable using either of those on moose, not so much the 350 legend...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

I agree the numbers aren't that amazing. I wanted one when I first saw it, but only a few weeks later I'm having trouble thinking of a use for it... If I hunted out of a tree stand and didn't take shots over 100yds then it sounds like a fine choice, but I don't... And I don't like medium bore AR cartridges very much either, I feel like the 6.5grendel is about as big as you can go without losing too much velocity for my liking, unless you use bullets with dreadful ballistics and sectional densities. 450bm or 50beo would be neat for close quarters hog hunting but I don't do that either so... And as a hunter first and foremost, I see no reason to get something like that over the tried and true 45-70...

I did want a big and slow cartridge just to get some first hand experience with wound channels, how game reacts, ect to that vs the small fast stuff I typically shoot (243w, 270w, 7RM) but something like the 9.3x57 or 358win seem like much better options for that sort of thing - I'd be comfortable using either of those on moose, not so much the 350 legend...
    No way I'd shoot a moose or elk with a 350 legend. Just not enough punch for my liking. The bushmaster on the other hand I wouldnt hesitate to use.

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    No way I'd shoot a moose or elk with a 350 legend. Just not enough punch for my liking. The bushmaster on the other hand I wouldnt hesitate to use.
    Oh im sure a 160gr bonded bullet going 2225fps would totally work on a moose (350 legend stats), but I'd much prefer to use something more powerful. If my 303 makes it look kinda weak, I'm not really interested... I have no interest in having to limit myself to 100yds, I own fast cartridges for a reason...

And I don't like medium bore AR cartridges very much either, I feel like the 6.5grendel is about as big as you can go without losing too much velocity for my liking,
    Remington 30 AR is the probably the best performing out of an AR 15. It out performs the Grendel. You can get 125gr factory loaded tsx at 2800 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    Remington 30 AR is the probably the best performing out of an AR 15. It out performs the Grendel. You can get 125gr factory loaded tsx at 2800 fps
    Yeah but 125gr 30cal bullets have the same issue as the 450bm - poor sectional density and ballistics. At least the 6.5 grendel can shoot reasonable weights at reasonable speeds, and if you're going to compare the tsx then the 100gr 6.5 should be capable of getting up to 2800+ fps too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast