Thread: First Gun and Tools

First Gun and Tools

Hey all,

First post. I want to get a savage msr15 recon for my first gun. I would like to do some work on it as soon as I get it, such as putting an ambi safety on it, changing muzzle device, changing charging handle and so on. What tools would I need to maintain this kind of rifle, as well as cleaning supplies. Keep in mind I have nothing firearm related as of right now.

Thanks for your time,

James

I picked up an all in one gun tool from Canadian Tire for like $30 bucks. There are many cleaning kits that you can get.

That’s my first firearm too! Excited to pick it up this week.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmaks View Post
    I picked up an all in one gun tool from Canadian Tire for like $30 bucks. There are many cleaning kits that you can get.

I never thought of canadian tire for some reason. I'll check out what they have and pick up that kit. Thanks!

I'm pumped! It seems like a solid rifle

Spend a few bucks on a decent set of gunsmithing screwdrivers. Wheeler makes a set that works well and comes with most bits you will need to complete the type work you are describing. A one piece cleaning rod is best but with care a three piece rod will get you started. A steel and brass punches are handy as well. Some solvent to break down burnt powder and lead/copper and lubricant to apply after cleaning. I am a fan of G96 products. I also like to keep some long Qtips on hand as well as some small brass or bronze bristle brushes to get in nooks and crannies. A nylon or brass faced hammer is nice to have.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    You should be doing your first post in " Greeting and Introduction " Read the rules about posting & that will lead to eventual EE acceptance .