Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Former Liberal senator not set on gun bill: C71 news

I've opposed all anti-gun legislation since the 1970s, instinctively knowing that each step would be built upon with future steps intended to erode not only the guns that can be owned, but also erode our citizens interest in gun ownership and participation in lawful, shooting related, activities. It bugs me when I see some members of the firearms community say that Canada's low incidence of gun related crime is a result of the laws which have been already been inflicted upon us. Canada has always been a nation were the incidence of violent gun crime has been low, so the reasons for our peaceful society must be something other than our repugnant gun laws, which there was never justification for in the first place. We need to stop saying that Liberal and red Tory imposed anti-gun legislation has in any way been positive. Firstly, it is not true, secondly it cannot be statistically corroborated, and thirdly, it weakens any argument we might have which opposes any proposed legislation, now or in the future, that builds upon the restrictions we already face. Murder, assault, and coercion are demonstrable crimes. Laws which prohibit the ownership and use of guns empower the criminal, who might choose to murder, assault, or coerce his lawfully disarmed victims. As long as the right to life, liberty, and security of the individual remain in the Charter, Canadian citizens have a right to defend their lives against criminal violence. The debate over which tools are best for self defense has concluded, and these tools are represented by the pistols that are worn on the hip of every cop in the country, and the ARs and shotguns that ride in their patrol cars.
    Last edited by Boomer; 03-29-2019 at 12:58 PM.

We’re there any attempted amendments to the 12(9) portion of the bill or during there discussions an attempt to define/explain how they intend to use it?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNSWITHGUN View Post
    We’re there any attempted amendments to the 12(9) portion of the bill or during there discussions an attempt to define/explain how they intend to use it?
    No, and frankly there isn't really any need to. As it is, its a fairly benign passage that might actually benefit gun owners who find themselves in possession of prohibited firearms.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VanIsleCam's Avatar
    I hope it is clear that the good senator voted in favour of adding a handgun ban to C-71.
    Proarm Militant - Variant Factory - Data Shopper - Fringe Minority

Following

its a good read

CGN Regular
    As you may already know, Bill C-71, An Act to amend certain law and regulations relating to firearms, was passed on May 28, 2019, at third reading in the Senate.
    Although timid, Bill C-71 is a step towards a safer society.
    As you will see in my interventions in the Senate and my tweets on Twitter, I believe it is time to replace our complex and obsolete system of classification and registration with a clear ban on all handguns and assault rifles. In our country, firearms are not a necessary tool, except, of course, hunting firearms (without detachable magazine and of capacity fewer than 5 rounds), used by First Nations, hunters, farmers and pest control companies (which must be regulated), and specialized firearms used in international sports competitions (which should remain in clubs and shooting ranges).
    Best regards,
    Pierre J. Dalphond

The above is the response I got from this guy. I can only shake my head in frustration.
    CCFR, CSSA Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scott_N's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash54000 View Post
    As you may already know, Bill C-71, An Act to amend certain law and regulations relating to firearms, was passed on May 28, 2019, at third reading in the Senate.
    Although timid, Bill C-71 is a step towards a safer society.
    As you will see in my interventions in the Senate and my tweets on Twitter, I believe it is time to replace our complex and obsolete system of classification and registration with a clear ban on all handguns and assault rifles. In our country, firearms are not a necessary tool, except, of course, hunting firearms (without detachable magazine and of capacity fewer than 5 rounds), used by First Nations, hunters, farmers and pest control companies (which must be regulated), and specialized firearms used in international sports competitions (which should remain in clubs and shooting ranges).
    Best regards,
    Pierre J. Dalphond

The above is the response I got from this guy. I can only shake my head in frustration.
    In the future, every time there is a shooting, you should email the senator and remind him that our society isn't any safer because C-71 doesn't seem to be making any difference and that it is a poor piece of legislation that should never have become law because it doesn't address crime.

I still hold my NFA membership which I have held since the early 80s.

I joined the CSSA due to the C-68 fight and getting to know Tony.

A few years ago I joined the CCFR.

I donated a hefty chunk of change to the CPC during the election, both individual candidates and national party. Not sure about the effectiveness of those funds, but I saw it as the most pragmatic choice at the time.

Recently I donated amounts to both CSSA and CCFR that would have purchased a nice amount of ammo. I see this as an investment to attempt to save the future of my Canada.

On a related note, the downright hatred out there toward us as gun owners is palpable on some online forums. I was basically told that all guns need to be turned in for destruction (except for those they say are "hunting guns"..........at least for the time being until they change their mind), and those who fail to comply should be arrested and thrown behind bars. When I questioned where all these prisoners would be held and the fact that a good portion of real criminals are released on recognizance, they said it would be worthwhile to build extra prisons specifically for gun owners. And when I suggested there would be resistance toward arrest by some they basically said that gun owners should face the consequences of bodily harm or death at the hands of the govt. To many we are scum and totally worthless on all fronts. It makes no difference what position we may have held or contributions we may have made to society to date. I would also suggest that this feeling is strong among younger Canadians who will be our future leaders. Good luck to the new generation of gun owners.
    Guns are like potato chips....you can never have just one.

Never trust a politician who says, "trust me".

I will never get used to Big Brother looking over my shoulder!

I have seen the future.................and it SUCKS!!!!
    (born in the wrong time & place)

Theme songs:
    "I Wanna Go Back" by Eddie Money http://www.lyricsdownload.com/eddie-...ck-lyrics.html
    "Dream On" by Aerosmith http://www.lyricsfreak.com/a/aerosmi..._20004389.html

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast