Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Former Liberal senator not set on gun bill: C71 news

Former Liberal senator not set on gun bill: C71 news

This is a good read to understand what it is currently happening in the Senate concerning C-71.

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/02/04/form...Wrb-sqUzSg29dw

Former Liberal senator not set on gun bill, but Conservative amendments face uphill battle
    By Tim Naumetz. Published on Feb 4, 2019 4:33pm

A former Liberal senator who now designates herself as nonaffiliated and could be critical in Senate committee votes on the Liberal government’s gun bill says she won’t make up her mind on any amendments until hearings, which begin this month, are complete.

Furthermore, Sen. Mobina Jaffer said Monday that as the bill has worked its way through Senate chamber debate in advance of its final stages she has received no letters of support for Bill C-71 — only messages of opposition from legal gun owners who say they’re bearing the brunt of a government push to address gun crime and shootings in big cities.

“I haven’t received one letter that is in support of the bill,” Jaffer said in a phone interview from her base in Vancouver.

“I’m going to listen to the testimony of the people there,” said Jaffer.

“What they’re saying is ‘don’t punish us instead of going after them (gangs and criminals),’ ” the B.C. senator since 2001 said of those who wrote to oppose the legislation.

Jaffer did not take part in Chamber debate over the legislation or vote when the Senate passed it into the Senate National Defence and Security committee in December. She was convalescing after a melanoma diagnosis last August that required surgery.

But Jaffer could make the difference as Manitoba Conservative Sen. Don Plett attempts to make good on a promise last month that the Conservatives will “do everything short of gutting the bill completely” once the committee reaches final clause-by-clause voting — possibly in March.

More than 40 witnesses are planned.

Bill C-71 will almost inevitably pass through the Senate after it sailed into committee study by a 50-33 vote on Dec. 11.

But a successful Conservative amendment strategy in the National Defence and Security Committee could delay the legislation and generate support from gun lobbies and firearm owners who turned the former long-gun registry against the Liberals through five successive federal elections until Stephen Harper’s majority government dismantled it in 2012.

The committee’s four Conservative senators and one nonaffiliated senator, New Brunswick novelist David Richards, voted against Bill C-71 when the Senate sent it to the committee.

The four Independent Senators Group on the committee supported the bill.

A tie vote in Senate committees defeats any motion, including amendment motions, and Senate committee chairs cannot vote to break a tie.

The committee chair, however, is able to vote first after a motion is moved.

ISG Sen. Gwen Boniface, chair of the National Defence and Security committee, a lawyer and former Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police and a former president of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, could be the fail-safe to prevent Flett from fulfilling his vow to gut Bill C-71.

Should Jaffer decide to support any of the Conservative amendments (which would be unlikely considering her work on women’s protection and rights), Boniface, should she decide to vote against any Conservative amendments, would tie the vote and the motion would be defeated...........

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TreMoR's Avatar
    Interesting
    « When injustice becomes law, resistance is a duty » - « Quand l'injustice devient loi, la résistance est un devoir » by : Thomas Jefferson.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    I hope more lieberals wake up to this BS
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

CGN Regular
    Good find, hopefully this will motivate some Libs to open their eyes

I know the author very well he is not a gun owner and he is certainly not pro-gun I would give him information and he would constantly twist it to hear what he wanted to hear there was always a nefarious Outlook to how he saw the gun situation. Tim is a smart guy but he often wants the story to fit his narrative that he's looking for. I know that Rod from the ccfr has spoke to him for hours to get him to understand the truth. That being said i think he is slowly starting to get the big picture.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
    I know the author very well he is not a gun owner and he is certainly not pro-gun I would give him information and he would constantly twist it to hear what he wanted to hear there was always a nefarious Outlook to how he saw the gun situation. Tim is a smart guy but he often wants the story to fit his narrative that he's looking for. I know that Rod from the ccfr has spoke to him for hours to get him to understand the truth. That being said i think he is slowly starting to get the big picture.
    And yet another reason why everyone should be a member of CCFR.

BANNED
    Excellent hope more senators get behind this..

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by bfiles View Post
    I hope more lieberals wake up to this BS
    It's impossible to wake up a Liberal, they may however be interested of payback to Justine for booting them out of the Liberal Party in order to be the so called "independent".

Its not good enough just to come on board and read about it. Let us all join CCFR and NFA.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by geomall View Post
    Its not good enough just to come on board and read about it. Let us all join CCFR and NFA.
    Yes done and done..

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast