Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Scar

CGN Regular

The main points SOCOM wanted addressed were barrels and bolts breaking due to heavy fire. These points were easily addressed.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    There is no real advantage to having a reciprocating charging handle, and that alone makes it a non starter for me. Also one of the biggest con when comparing to the other rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangFrank View Post
    Well, a picture of a private contractor holding a gun is not exactly a resounding endorsement, or anything for that matter. Im not a hater or a fanboy, but I appreciate honest reviews by people who actually use them. Not range monkeys. ( like me )
    Not that I have a horse in this race but there’s quite a few military and special force groups that use the Scar, but I haven’t seen any that use the XCR. I’d rather trust something that’s been thoroughly tested and adopted when getting into this price point.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer r34skyline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman18 View Post
    Not that I have a horse in this race but there’s quite a few military and special force groups that use the Scar, but I haven’t seen any that use the XCR. I’d rather trust something that’s been thoroughly tested and adopted when getting into this price point.
    I see someone caught on. But hey. What do those guys know?

May i point out while guys on the field have had issues with the SCAR, the XCR has never been field on a serious(if any) scale by any professional military unit sof or reg force in any capacity, so sure under repeated field use the SCAR had its issues but there has never been multiple XCR that did the same thing in the same field conditions.

As disclaimer despite having played with the full naughty versions of the SCAR I am not a fan of the carbine. For a piston platform I argue the Hk416/417 is the better option. Otherwise honestly a good di gun in the ar15/10 is pretty excellent as well. One thing to note the slow cyclic rate of the SCAR makes it notably controllable in full auto(useless for us but should be noted.).

As for the xcr... it's not proven to the same degree. I'm glad there are happy owners for these guns out there... but lets not start comparing an unproven rifle that never got adopted to one that saw active service. It ain't an apples to apples comparo.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyclone View Post
    that videos pretty dumb honestly,
    "we had reliability issues"
    gee who would have thought with steel case ammo

need a source on the hatred because I see them carried quite often.
    also with the optics breaking thats a old meme from garbage Elcan Spectres breaking on them
    That's not a meme it's been tested and even found out why. It's because the lower is polymer and the shock rebounds off it and into the optic. Also the stocks are janky garbage. As we can see from your pic.. it was replaced. A "premium rifle" that needs a better stock and a better lower isnt very premium. Even worse when it trashes your optic

Agreed ( r34skyline ). Some think that burying a gun in sand or packing it with mud is some sort of test that proves something. I'm just waiting to hear MAC say its not what your gun does to the mud, its what the mud does to your gun. Totally unrealistic. On the other hand, battle proven is real life. Sustained fire for hours at a time with Poo dust blowing in your gun is much more realistic. The XCR might be a very capable range gun. Perhaps that is where the discussion should end.

CGN Regular
    Iceman18, r34skyline,MustangFrank you guys should look at the youtube videos I posted. The stock would crack under use. Guys in the field would pack back up stocks for this reason. As $kull points out a lot of guys replace the stock with aftermarket stocks now.

Also the receiver had many problems to, to the point where aftermarket receivers are now being built. That will set you back another 500-600 USD.

It already has been mentioned multiple times that the XCR did not enter trial in the SOCOM SCAR program because someone forgot to include a BFA so the rifle was automatically disqualified. The SCAR program found that an upgraded M4 (heavy barrel, stronger bolt) could do everything the SCAR can do however SOCOM decided to go with the SCAR because they saw it as having more future potential down the line. It should be quite telling that the majority of guys are still using their M4s when they have this new fancy rifle.

Even when it comes spoken from the horses mouth (the seals in the video I posted) you guys don't believe it.

Last edited by CaptainGoose; 02-11-2019 at 02:28 AM.

I'm tempted to believe the XCR could torture-test on-par with the SCAR. The fact that it was disqualified doesn't mean it wasn't subject to the same standard of testing back at RA. They intended it to see military service, so I'm pretty certain they built it with that in mind, and to survive field testing.

I don't really have a dog in this fight except I might pick up an XCR at some point. I know it's the way of the future, but I just don't like guns with integral poly components. Even my Tavor - which I know is robust and sturdy AF, still feels kinda cheap. Give me metal \m/
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

CF, CCFR, CSSA, NFA, JP, AF&AM

CaptainGoose, I'm not sure if you are mis reading my comments, but I am not a fan of the SCAR. I don't like it. If the XCR has made substantial improvements, I would at least consider it but do not like the looks so that could be a deal breaker. Looks do count.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer r34skyline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGoose View Post
    Iceman18, r34skyline,MustangFrank you guys should look at the youtube videos I posted. The stock would crack under use. Guys in the field would pack back up stocks for this reason. As $kull points out a lot of guys replace the stock with aftermarket stocks now.

Also the receiver had many problems to, to the point where aftermarket receivers are now being built. That will set you back another 500-600 USD.

It already has been mentioned multiple times that the XCR did not enter trial in the SOCOM SCAR program because someone forgot to include a BFA so the rifle was automatically disqualified. The SCAR program found that an upgraded M4 (heavy barrel, stronger bolt) could do everything the SCAR can do however SOCOM decided to go with the SCAR because they saw it as having more future potential down the line. It should be quite telling that the majority of guys are still using their M4s when they have this new fancy rifle.

Even when it comes spoken from the horses mouth (the seals in the video I posted) you guys don't believe it.

I'm not sure which part of "I'm not a fan of this carbine" was unclear there so let me re-iterate. I am not a fan of the SCAR in either the 556 or 7.62 chamberings.

Doesn't change the fact that post SCAR trials nobody adopted the XCR. Hell some random east block nation adopted the ACR.

Beyond the immediate disqual no professional organization ever pitted an XCR in any kind of testing and to my knowledge none made it to any of the current sandboxes... so you can't claim it is a better fighting carbine than the SCAR, because there is nothing to substantiate that under any formal testing and usage beyond mostly clean civvie ranges.

Again in case someone thinks I like the SCAR, I don't. It introgued me then on a trip to the us i got to try a h and a l. Other than the easy to manage f/a capability i was deeply underwhelmed by the weapon.