Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Scar

CGN Regular
    MustangFrank, r34skyline I misread your guy's comments and mistaken it for another guy I was responding to who really likes the SCAR. I was trying to address the battle proven part.

The XCR to me doesn't look as modern as the SCAR because of the lack in polymer features. I also think the SCAR is a better looking gun than the XCR.

As for the XCR's reliability, across the internet people have been liking it. The youtube videos I posted in the previous pages also give it high praise breaking it down and going through each part and why it makes sense. The guy who runs that youtube channel works in the firearms industry and is very knowledgeable with that regard.

I would say that the manufacturing standards for civilian use are better than military specifications. With the military it comes down to checking a box for liability issues where with the civilian market it comes down to providing the best product for the customer to capture market share. We can see this with military kit for example with night vision. Thats a different discussion though.

Robinson Arms is also a very small outfit competing with the likes of FN and Remington. Securing government contracts comes down to their network and financing which bigger companies have more of.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer r34skyline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGoose View Post
    MustangFrank, r34skyline I misread your guy's comments and mistaken it for another guy I was responding to who really likes the SCAR. I was trying to address the battle proven part.

The XCR to me doesn't look as modern as the SCAR because of the lack in polymer features. I also think the SCAR is a better looking gun than the XCR.

As for the XCR's reliability, across the internet people have been liking it. The youtube videos I posted in the previous pages also give it high praise breaking it down and going through each part and why it makes sense. The guy who runs that youtube channel works in the firearms industry and is very knowledgeable with that regard.

I would say that the manufacturing standards for civilian use are better than military specifications. With the military it comes down to checking a box for liability issues where with the civilian market it comes down to providing the best product for the customer to capture market share. We can see this with military kit for example with night vision. Thats a different discussion though.

Robinson Arms is also a very small outfit competing with the likes of FN and Remington. Securing government contracts comes down to their network and financing which bigger companies have more of.
    Manufacturing standards for civilians can be better and worse depending on outfit and standards set by them. Top tier civvie equipment I would argue have better attention to detail and can be a better product. Although in my experience most really high end stuff end up focusing more extremely on the refinement of the product which occasionally negatively affects the weapons durability/reliability. And some of the budget stuff... not so much.

As for RA specifically, I've heard mixed reviews both here and on other parts of the internet. They were one of the first to have the swappable barrel setups so I'll give them that, but with the added weight of the guns mixed with the questionable accuracy and reliability of the early models put a lot of people off.

I thought they rectified it in the second gen, but there was a recent thread with one tossing a bcg in a few hundred rounds, and another poster referring to a busted op rod along with a blown extractor in two of his xcr I'm still not sure on their products quality.

With the Stag 10 out at almost a grand less, I would be very hard pressed to justify the XCR, or this SCAR if it ever comes here.

Not sure what you are referring to for nvg equipment as currently the gov has nv tech not availble to civvies legally for any amount of money(panoramic goggles).

CGN Regular
    I'm about to build a Stag, looking up some top tier parts now and it looks like it will come to 2.5-3k. The price of the SCAR would be around double that if it were to come up here.

Another point about the SCAR program was that SOCOM found that upgrading the m4 gave very similar results to the FN SCAR and its other contenders. As you said, the AR platforms come out significantly less than a really expensive SCAR.

NV equipment in the US civilian market is better than what is issued to regular military. Civilians can buy the panoramic goggles however they're really front heavy. I just mentioned it because it was an example of where military and civilian standards differ favouring civilian specs.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    [QUOTE=kennyclone;15683195]ok, well have a couple recent photos of NSW dudes still using the SCAR Quote]

Sorry but in the group photo I only see M-4's. The bro pic shows one M4 and one SCAR. SF guys can probably buy whatever stuff they want. No test trials required. The previous pic with the guy in the observation post is hilarious. Frankin SCAR and sweat pants. He spent so much on his gun he can't afford pates or carrier, or decent holster, or belt. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGoose View Post
    I'm about to build a Stag, looking up some top tier parts now and it looks like it will come to 2.5-3k. The price of the SCAR would be around double that if it were to come up here.

Another point about the SCAR program was that SOCOM found that upgrading the m4 gave very similar results to the FN SCAR and its other contenders. As you said, the AR platforms come out significantly less than a really expensive SCAR.

NV equipment in the US civilian market is better than what is issued to regular military. Civilians can buy the panoramic goggles however they're really front heavy. I just mentioned it because it was an example of where military and civilian standards differ favouring civilian specs.
    But the SCAR isn't issued to regular mil. It's issued to socom guys.

Sale of pvs18s to civvies is news to me. Last i checked they were gov purchase only. Maybe it changed recently.

Don't forget they are insanely expensive as well.

As for the SCAR I don't know about double that but it will certainly be more money than it's worth.

That being said having more options available is never a bad thing.

[QUOTE=MustangFrank;15684956]
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyclone View Post
    ok, well have a couple recent photos of NSW dudes still using the SCAR Quote]

Sorry but in the group photo I only see M-4's. The bro pic shows one M4 and one SCAR. SF guys can probably buy whatever stuff they want. No test trials required. The previous pic with the guy in the observation post is hilarious. Frankin SCAR and sweat pants. He spent so much on his gun he can't afford pates or carrier, or decent holster, or belt. Cool.
    immediate right of the flag guy has a mk20 SSR. SF guys arent doing individual purchasing of scars, they're being issued to them as NSWC just renewed their support contract for them and USASOC has them fielded in small batches while doing some 6mm testing.
    also lol at thinking that guy spent his own money on his issued gun.

scar beats xcr at larping

Quote Originally Posted by rambones View Post
    scar beats xcr at larping
    Daddy garand would approve of your statement.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    Cool pics. A bunch of dudes on a range shooting SCARS. That proves it. Guys overseas shoot SCARS. No story, no explanation, no reports why or if they like them . Basically nothing to report except pictures of guys holding guns. The science is settled LOL.

I know this mainly evolved into a comparison between the SCAR and XCR but just seen this vid and thought it was a great comp as well.

Last edited by BlazinDayz; 02-12-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge