Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter photo thread

I dont remember everything in this build but

SJ Hardware 18.5" 223 wylde barrel with my home made brass endcap for bling
    Daniel Defense bolt carrier group
    Giessle 2 stage trigger, ssa? The expensive one anyways.
    Ergo grip, hand guard was TNA i believe
    Magpul stock
    Colt parts kit, ambi safty
    BCM charging handle
    Troy sights
    Everything was bought second hand except the barrel and parts kit. Total cost approximately 2250 maybe 2400 tops with shipping costs.
    Add another 1500 or so for optics and rings by the time it is done and I'm at 3900 tops.
    Last edited by Magmalis; 02-23-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve MKII View Post
    I am also quite interested. Possibly a couple of them depending on price. Can you please provide a link to the thread when you post it if you haven't already?
    yes please post link, might be interested too.

I'm getting jealous of all the pictures being posted while I'm stuck on a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean, so I'll post what I can.

I always wanted to hunt with a Modern Sporting Rifle, after doing that with my 12lb Modern Hunter I decided that I would build my Modern Sporter in 6.5 Grendel to be as light as possible but not give up any of the functionality I want. So no silly Brigand Arms handguards or Battle Arms sabre tube stocks.

I left Canada for work before the first batch of uppers were ready to be picked up. I assembled what I could. I can't wait to get home to pick up my upper from ATRS.

Sorry for the crappy cell pictures, it is all I have with me.

Lower as pictured:
    Battle Arms Development Enhanced Titanium front Pin
    Phase 5 bolt Catch
    V7 Weapon Systems Ultra-Light Magazine Catch / Release
    V7 Weapon Systems 2055 Carbine Buffer Tube
    V7 Weapon Systems Ultra-Light Locking Plate & Castle Nut
    V7 Weapon Systems 57/90 titanium ambi hybrid safety

I had most of my parts long ago, enough to assemble a rifle, so they are currently being held together this way. When I get my ATRS SS upper this receiver set held together by a screw will probably go on the EE or back together with a M16a1 parts kit it was wearing before. Haven't decided yet.

As pictured above with the Kahles 1-6 scope in the JP Enterprises mount it is 7.766lb. The bare rifle is 6.23lb. Here is the build list as pictured

Lower:
    Geissele High Speed National Match Trigger (this trigger is so nice)
    V7 Weapon Systems Titanium 0.155" Trigger Pins
    V7 Weapon Systems Titanium Ambi Safety
    V7 Weapon Systems Ultra-Light Magazine Catch / Release
    Colt M16a1 Bolt Catch (didn't want to remove it from when I had the MacDef previously dressed up as a M16a1)
    Magpul MOE K Grip FDE
    V7 Weapon Systems Titanium Grip Screw
    JP Enterprises AR-15 Silent Capture Spring System Gen 2 with the 'normal' spring, I'll try lighter springs later
    PWS carbine buffer tube, castle nut & end plate
    MFT Battle Link Stock FDE
    Magpul MOE FDE trigger guard

Upper:
    Faxon Match Series- 20" Heavy Fluted, 6.5 Grendel, 5R, 416R, Nitride, Nickel Teflon Extension
    Faxon 15" Carbon fiber mLok handguard
    V7 Weapon Systems Titanium GI barrel nut
    Spike's Tactical rifle length melonited gas tube
    Superlative Arms 0.750" adjustable gas block
    Precision Armament EFAB 30 Cal muzzle device
    V7 Weapon Systems Ultra Light Port Door - Air & V7 port door rod
    Radian Raptor LT FDE
    JP Enterprises Ultra Low Mass Bolt Carrier
    JP Enterprises 6.5 Grendel Bolt
    JP Enterprises 30mm Scope mount
    Kahles 1-6 SFP SI1 reticle scope with Butler Creek flip up scope caps

I will most likely use the Khales 1-6 scope after I get done load development this summer. I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 in a QD mount i use for accuracy testing, I threw that on before going to range. Weight with 6-24 scope in a ADM QD mount is 8.192lb.

Here is the 50m indoor sight in pic from back in October.

A couple of days later I got to the outdoor range. All shooting was done off the bench, with Hornady factory ammo, a bipod and a rear bag. These are typical of the groups I got at the 100m line.

I was running out of time & daylight so only had a chance to shoot a couple of groups at longer distance on paper.

I had a surprisingly good group at 200m, I would consider this lucky.

This group at 300m is more like I expected from this barrel, factory ammo and my skill level.

I had no issues hitting the 12" gongs out at 400m. This barrel seemed to like the Hornady 123 gr SST's the best. I also tried Hornady 123 gr ELDM, Hornady 123 gr AMax and the Hornady 123 gr ELDX.

I will change a few things when I fully assemble my MS besides the stuff that is already on my lower.
    SLR rifleworks Titanium Clamp-On adjustable gas block (23.5grams or 0.83oz lighter)
    V7 Weapon Systems 300 Blackout short brake or Insite Arms Heathan 6.5mm Aluminum brake (Although awesome the EFAB is heavy)
    Aero Precision 30mm cantiliver scope mount

I might also get a MRA 18.6" 6.5 Grendel pencil barrel. The Faxon 20" was the lightest commercially available barrel I could find in Canada when I ordered my parts. The MRA should save another 2oz or so.

I'll post more pictures / range report after I get my proper upper in a few weeks.

x

Last edited by apex survival; 05-02-2020 at 01:50 AM.
    Stand and deliver - freedom is not free, and never has been. Resist the Reset!

Build is almost complete. Somehow I misplaced the castle nut so I'm going to have to go pick one up tomorrow. I'm also waiting for the JP buffer but have a standard one in place for now. Once the build is complete I'll try to get a picture with better lighting so the burnt bronze shows up better.

Hyperfire EDT DM trigger group
    Maple Creek Armoury 18.6" fluted .223 Wylde
    BCM handguard
    Maples Ridge Armourygas block
    Maples Ridge Armoury dust cover
    Maple Ridge Armoury charging handle
    Grffin Armament Taper Mount Hammer Comp
    Rainier Arms match BCG
    Magpul CTR stock
    Hogue grip
    Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6

CGN Regular
    My build isn't working yet, but thought I'd post a picture as I have it nearly done.
    Notes:
    - BCG isn't installed in the upper of the picture. I need to file down the Triggertech adaptive a bit so I am able to mate upper to lower. See the Q&A thread for more info
    - Rear takedown pin will be replaced with a KNS takedown pin
    - The anti-rotate tab for the Midwest Industries handguard was filed off as it won't fit otherwise
    - No JP Silent capture spring in it yet, just using a standard buffer and spring
    - Total working weight was measured at 8 lbs 0 oz with empty 10 rd LAR mag

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    My build isn't working yet, but thought I'd post a picture as I have it nearly done.
    Notes:
    - BCG isn't installed in the upper of the picture. I need to file down the Triggertech adaptive a bit so I am able to mate upper to lower. See the Q&A thread for more info
    - Rear takedown pin will be replaced with a KNS takedown pin
    - The anti-rotate tab for the Midwest Industries handguard was filed off as it won't fit otherwise
    - No JP Silent capture spring in it yet, just using a standard buffer and spring
    - Total working weight was measured at 8 lbs 0 oz with empty 10 rd LAR mag

There’s a modification available for the rear pin THAT MAY allow you to use the TriggerTech Adaptable and a sliding rear takedown pin.
    Last edited by alberta tactical rifle; 02-25-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachoninja View Post

Most parts off a Colt AR15A4. Same gun, just wanted to see what it looked like with the different stocks. I'm going with the fixed stock for now.
    This is AMAZING!! So if you have an AR15A4 (which I do) you can just switch over these parts to this receiver set or do you need some special updated parts??
    An armed individual is a citizen, an unarmed individual is a subject. Gun control is not about controlling guns, it’s about controlling those who use the guns.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    Still not done editing this, I’ll fix it later tonight.

CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

I will make an addition to my first post now that my 2nd upper is assembled. Likely to be topped with a PST gen 2 5-25 FFP in a 20 moa ADM but that could change. Still waiting on brass and dies so no rush.
    Thank you ATRS

IBI 224 Valkyrie HBAR 19"
    Precision Armament M-11 brake
    Odin O2 Lite handguard 15.5"
    Odin adjustable gas block
    Radian Raptor charging handle
    Brownells lightweight BCG
    Brownells 6.8 bolt
    Phase 5 bolt catch/release
    Ergo grip
    Luth AR MBA 3 stock
    Velocity 3 lb flat trigger

Name:  20190226_224637.jpg
Views: 3398
Size:  89.5 KB
    Name:  20190226_233358.jpg
Views: 3362
Size:  49.2 KB
    Last edited by scourge18a; 02-27-2019 at 03:08 AM.