Page 16 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920212223242636 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter photo thread

Just finished my 7.62x39 build:

TNA 7.62x39 18.5" barrel (Made by Maple Ridge Armory)
    Bootleg Inc 15" KMR Handguard
    Griffin Armament M4SD Comp
    AAC NiBoron Bolt Carrier
    LMT Enhanced Bolt
    Radian Raptor charging handle and Talon safety
    POF Enhanced buffer tube & bolt stop
    ALG ACT
    Kahles K16i on Geissele Mount
    Magpul furniture

DSC_0698 by , on Flickr
    CSSA/NFA/CCFR Member

CGN frequent flyer
    Very cool. Dont think I've seen one in x39 yet. Did you use MRA pencil profile barrel?
    f:P

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

The barrel isn't quite pencil...more of an intermediate built by MRA according to TNA's specs. It feels very well balanced.
    CSSA/NFA/CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    ^^ Ya, I'm pretty sure that's the first 7.62x39 build posted so far. Kinda surprised there haven't been more.

Curious to hear how it performs. I've got an IBI x39 barrel sitting waiting and ready to go on a second production run receiver set.

I was surprised there weren't any others either given the popularity/versatility of the round...especially the fact that we can use the XCR-M magazines. I didn't know IBI was making non-res length x39 barrels?!? Gonna test evrything out this Friday. Hope all goes well as this caliber can sometimes be problematic in the AR platform.
    CSSA/NFA/CCFR Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 09:57 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by xeelee View Post
    I was surprised there weren't any others either given the popularity/versatility of the round...especially the fact that we can use the XCR-M magazines. I didn't know IBI was making non-res length x39 barrels?!? Gonna test evrything out this Friday. Hope all goes well as this caliber can sometimes be problematic in the AR platform.

Wait... We can use xcr-m mags in the modern Sporter lower?
    Or do you mean xcr pistol mags?(I apologize in advance if I missed a previous post explaining this)

CGN Regular
    XCR-L Pistol mags ar-15 mags

Quote Originally Posted by matrim View Post
    Wait... We can use xcr-m mags in the modern Sporter lower?
    Or do you mean xcr pistol mags?(I apologize in advance if I missed a previous post explaining this)
    Hahaha oops yes I meant xcr pistol mags!
    CSSA/NFA/CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Which is exactly why I said I'm curious to hear how it performs. Please let us know.
    So I made it out for a brief range session and it went better than expected. Got about 40 uneventful rounds down range (more on why only 40 later). It was a mix of Romanian and Chinese non-corrosive surplus. It all fed, fired, and extracted beautifully. Although I was shooting offhand accuracy was good. The rifle started to short stroke after about 40 rounds. I expected this to happen. I was using a Geissele Super Gas block on an undimpled nitrided barrel. I normally Rocksett my gas blocks but in this case I hadn't yet until I was sure it was positioned correctly for proper function. Sure enough it had shifted enough to cause the malfunction. I am absolutely confident that once it is properly mounted there will be no further issues. I have a bit of experience with AR platform 7.62x39 rifles and the 4 thing I have found to lead to reilaible function are 1)Full power or extra hammer springs 2)Enhanced firing pin 3)Quality bolt and 4)Carbine buffer. Needless to say I am extremly happy with the product ATRS have put out and look forward to shooting it alot more.

P.S. Magazines used were ASC XCR-L 10-round pistol. They dropped freely, fed beautifully and locked the bolt back when empty.
    Last edited by xeelee; 03-22-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    CSSA/NFA/CCFR Member