CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1424262728293031323334

Thread: Modern Sporter photo thread

Here's mine,
    MRA 18.6" 223, AP carbon handguard, Fail-zero nickel boron BCG, BCM nickel boron trigger group, JP brake.
    Name:  IMG_20190617_213425.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  82.3 KB

Odin 20" DMR profile 6.5G
    Name:  IMG_20190619_123607.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20190619_123743.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  83.0 KB

One with big brother (6.5CM)
    MS stock and grip have been changed to the pic above and the Leupold is back on the ACR and the Trijicon 2.5-12.5x42 above is now on it.
    Name:  IMG_20190415_202332.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  138.0 KB

Haven't shot the Grendel barrel yet but should be able to test it out later this week.
    MRA barrel doesn't like AE black box very much but I did some load testing with 75gr BTHP and it was right around 1 MOA with a couple powder charges, Will do some fine tuning and see if I can get it to shoot a little better and also see how consistent it is.
    Last edited by cr5; 07-09-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

Report back with results on how the 6.5G shoots. I'm considering doing a 20" Proof barrel on my second MS set. How's the ammo availability up North so far?

Quote Originally Posted by GUNNZ View Post
    Report back with results on how the 6.5G shoots. I'm considering doing a 20" Proof barrel on my second MS set. How's the ammo availability up North so far?
    Factory ammo availability is almost zero right now.
    I'm a handloader though and will be doing my first round of load development this week. Should have a good load in a day or two since having a private range in your back yard saves a lot of time load testing.
    Going to start with Hornady 120gr ELD-M.

Man I wish I had a range in my backyard. Would save me a hell of a lot of trips to the range to work up loads and zero optics lol.

Are you using Lapua 6.5G brass? Plan to shoot the 123s?

Quote Originally Posted by GUNNZ View Post
    Man I wish I had a range in my backyard. Would save me a hell of a lot of trips to the range to work up loads and zero optics lol.

Are you using Lapua 6.5G brass? Plan to shoot the 123s?
    I don't use expensive brass in semi autos, it gets beat up or lost too much to justify the price for the minuscule gains it delivers.
    Where do you live? If you're in driving distance you're welcome to come shooting, bring your reloading supplies and use my equipment.

I actually want to go lighter but just bought 1000 120gr. I don't think you need to run the heaviest projectiles possible to get good performance, the BC on the 120's is very close to the 123's and I'd prefer to squeak a little more velocity out of it without increasing pressure on what I already think is a weak boltface. I can't remember where I saw it but I read that there are two different max pressures for the Grendel, one for bolt action rifles and a lower pressure for AR's.
    This rifle will probably never hunt anything larger than a wolf and I doubt I'll ever shoot the it past 500 yards so maximum long range performance is not at the top of my list of priorities. Maybe try it long range once or twice but I didn't buy it to shoot 1000+ yards, if I want to shoot 1000 yards or more the Creedmoor will be coming out. I'm lucky I guess, I have so many rifles to pick from that I don't need to try to have one rifle do everything.
    Last edited by cr5; 07-10-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I’m out East in the big city. You do get a pretty nice BC bump going to the 123s, but you’re right that 500 yards or less it’s not going to make much of a difference. I agree the Grendel is a good 500-600 yard lightweight rifle, anything more and it’s time to take out the big dog. You could also try the Sierra 107 SMK if you’re looking for velocity.

Had the Grendel out today. Odin 20" DMR profile with matching BCG and adjustable gas block.
    120gr Hornady ELD-M set just off the lands (shorter than magazine restriction). 8208XBR for powder.
    Worked up to 28.5gr powder charge which also happened to look the most promising.
    Was working up in 3 round batches and made a couple 1 moa groups, a couple 2 moa groups. Had a good day, 28.3gr looked the best on paper but the last 3 round group of 28.5gr has an extreme spread of 4 fps across 3 shots. A little more testing and adjusting seating depth and I'll be done

By the way, the fit between my FA upper and my <150 serial number lower is perfect, the pin is tight to move and zero play between the upper and lower.
    The action feels like it's running on needle bearings and has since the first cycle with the charge handle. No break in required, perfection from first round other than not having enough gas which should be history since I opened up the gas adjustment when I finished today. It was locking back a little less than half the time so a half turn on the regulator should have it (about 2 threads showing on the locking set screw for anyone else with the Odin package).

This is my barrel
    https://www.odinworks.com/6_5_Grende...0-r-tg-bcg.htm
    Last edited by cr5; 07-11-2019 at 11:25 PM.

CGN Regular
    Anyone put wooden furniture on a modern varmint or even better — a modern hunter ?