CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: Modern Sporter dedicated rimfire upper UPDATE NOV 7

  1. #1
    CGN Regular Hondatech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    188

    Modern Sporter dedicated rimfire upper UPDATE NOV 7

    I've been thinking about this for a while, and I've seen others mention it too. If we assembled an upper with a dedicated rimfire barrel, as long as the assembled package stayed over 26" long, we would stay non restricted, and be able to plink with full capacity rimfire magazines. I'd love to build a Mk18 Mod 1"ish" upper.

    What would be the best rimfire bolt kit? Is there one that uses decent magazines and has a last round hold open that uses the bolt catch? ATRS, can you guys provide the barrel for a project like this?
    Last edited by alberta tactical rifle; 11-07-2018 at 05:48 PM.

  2. #2
    CGN Regular sphen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toronto North
    Posts
    558
    I'm planning the same thing. I've seen a couple options out there but would appreciate feedback from the more knowledgeable.

    On a budget (not sure about quality): https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...arbine-Forend-

    And at a higher price, but better quality (or so I've been told): https://www.cmmginc.com/product/barr...-16-1-m4-22lr/
    WTB: Surefire 300 Ultra

  3. #3
    CGN Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    B.C. Interior
    Posts
    652
    Thats a good idea! Now I need 3 uppers.

  4. #4
    CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,815
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how would the .22 mags fit in the lower?
    And if you were to buy a barrel and bolt from Wolverine, would it just need an upper only?

    Better yet, could someone please explain the full process for me

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Super GunNutz jiffx2781's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Onterrible
    Posts
    5,536
    Or if you want to go all out I'm sure Rick could order one of these in fo you



    https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM22-18L16

  6. #6
    CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Edmonton city limits and east
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Or if you want to go all out I'm sure Rick could order one of these in fo you



    https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM22-18L16
    This is definitely the typein my mind: the kits (and preexisting AR upper ones) with the bolt that matches a dedicated rim fire barrel are superior. Now, that is solely my opinion of course, but I always used and liked the idea of not using some adaption bolt with the .223/5.56 barrel. I know there will be a lot of people say there is no problem with the adaption bolt systems, but I don't like the concept of the "adaption" portion in the chamber.

    There are, however, other manufacturers that may do the same type of system like CMMG : https://www.cmmginc.com/product/barr...-16-1-m4-22lr/
    "So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause..." from the Liberals and Socialists, yes; and also how discrimination and injustice are sanctioned.

  7. #7
    CGN Regular Hondatech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    This is definitely the typein my mind: the kits (and preexisting AR upper ones) with the bolt that matches a dedicated rim fire barrel are superior. Now, that is solely my opinion of course, but I always used and liked the idea of not using some adaption bolt with the .223/5.56 barrel. I know there will be a lot of people say there is no problem with the adaption bolt systems, but I don't like the concept of the "adaption" portion in the chamber.
    I think the big problem with adaptors for .223 barrels is any length under 18.6 could get you in a buttload of legal trouble. A dedicated .22 barrel would not.

    That JP kit looks slick, I wonder if they can do shorter barrels.

  8. #8
    CGN frequent flyer Kratos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Estevan, SK
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how would the .22 mags fit in the lower?
    And if you were to buy a barrel and bolt from Wolverine, would it just need an upper only?

    Better yet, could someone please explain the full process for me

    Thanks
    It’s just like building a 9mm upper (18.6+ for NR), except for 22LR you just need 26” OAL. You need the bolt and barrel for the upper, no gasblock unless you want FSB sights. Regular handguard options, no FA needed, you can get the special dust cover that has a built in defector for the smaller cases. For the mags, buy BlackDog Machine Sonic Weld from Brownells, they’re backorder only buy they are the best on the market, make sure they’re compatible with your bolt, they use a regular magwell so it’s good to go on the MS.

    My kit uses a 11” Spikes barrel and it will just make OAL with a fixed carbine stock.

  9. #9
    CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Central AB (AKA Northern Texas)
    Posts
    6,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondatech View Post
    I think the big problem with adaptors for .223 barrels is any length under 18.6 could get you in a buttload of legal trouble. A dedicated .22 barrel would not.

    That JP kit looks slick, I wonder if they can do shorter barrels.
    This.

    What we need is Rick to offer a factory .22LR SBR fixed stock rifle. It wouldnt be practical but you could then have 4.5" cmmg .22LR with fixed stock come in at around 18" OAL and remain NR.

    Perfect gopher blaster, because why not.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    Best way to stop firearms from being "easily convertible to full-auto"?
    Require lab techs to wear velcro shoes and joggers.

    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

  10. #10
    CGN frequent flyer robab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    1,101
    Was breifly discussed in ant other thread. My solution was the cmmg Ar conversion kit in the short term. 22 Plinkster does a YouTube review of it and has surprisingly good results at 50 yards.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rSNT-5OnT0w
    "Victory favours the prepared"

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •