Page 11 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192131 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by yowski View Post
    Tried a different mag catch, same issue. Separated the receivers and the both LAR and AR mags catch/release properly. Tried again with the upper attached and BCG out and the problem is still present, seems like some sort of internal clearance issue with the upper receiver?
    I tried a giessle and dd mag catch on mft, magpul 20 and 30s, e-lander and CPD. All catch and release with upper on and off and bcg in and out. The only mag problem I've encounter is the mft feed lips being to thick and cause the bolt to drag and not fully go into battery while shooting. Problem doesnt exist with the other 3 mags. All drop free and no issues seating when loaded or empty.

The ultimags seem to trigger the bolt catch on the last round instead of on empty. Not sure if it's the mags or the bolt catch though....will have to find some other mags to test
    I am a kit hor(der)

What tool should we use to remove the bolt catch roll pin?
    A normal punch can’t fit into the space forward of he bolt catch
    Last edited by QuickDraw16; 02-11-2019 at 04:47 PM.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -Ben Franklin
    One cannot successfully legislate an object to control an action. QuickDraw16

Quote Originally Posted by QuickDraw16 View Post
    What tool should we use to drive out the bolt catch roll pin?
    A normal punch can’t fit into the space forward of he bolt catch

That pin is the bane of every AR owner's existence. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube about how to do it. It's a PITA no matter what.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Bo...oval/4-548778/

I see you're in the Lower Mainland. Reliable Gun has Weaver AR pin set that will make a lot of the tasks really easy for you. The roll pin punch with that kit is flat on one side so you can keep it in alignment as you tap. The kit is like $80 but you'll save a lot of money that would otherwise go into your swear jar.
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

CF, CCFR, CSSA, NFA, JP, AF&AM

Quote Originally Posted by BCreserveMP View Post
    That pin is the bane of every AR owner's existence. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube about how to do it. It's a PITA no matter what.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Bo...oval/4-548778/

I see you're in the Lower Mainland. Reliable Gun has Weaver AR pin set that will make a lot of the tasks really easy for you. The roll pin punch with that kit is flat on one side so you can keep it in alignment as you tap. The kit is like $80 but you'll save a lot of money that would otherwise go into your swear jar.
    Thanks for the response. Spending $80 for a pin set isn’t realistic for me; I’m not building any other AR type rifles after this.
    Secondly, I don’t see how even a flat sided punch would do the trick. The area forward of the bolt catch is proud of the surface and comes out as far as the mid plane of the roll pin.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -Ben Franklin

I have used an L shaped allen key with some success. Make sure that allen wrench is disposable...
    I stick the small end in onto the pin and hold the long end hammering as close as possible without hitting the reciever. Use lots of tape to avoid scratching the reciever. Like mentioned, YouTube may offer other and possibly better solutions but this worked for me even with the super tight MDI set.
    Brownells has that special punch for $18USD so it'd be about $30 USD and a couple of weeks to get it from there. Not sure if anyone in Canada has them, or as mentioned in that article, you could grind up a cheap princess auto punch and try that.

https ://www.amazon.ca/Wheeler-710906-Engineering-Catch-Install/dp/B01B3NU46C
    Pin set for bolt catch pin

That'll do for driving it in, but what about driving one out?
    -Ben Franklin

CGN Regular
    I’ve taken mine out several times now from my Sporter.

I used the long punch set from TNA pushed it out as much as I could with the punch at an angle and then grabbed it with a set of pliers and tapped the pliers with something blunt the rest of the way. As always wrap the receiver in some tape if you’re worried about marring it.

Quote Originally Posted by cwpowell View Post
    I’ve taken mine out several times now from my Sporter.

I used the long punch set from TNA pushed it out as much as I could with the punch at an angle and then grabbed it with a set of pliers and tapped the pliers with something blunt the rest of the way. As always wrap the receiver in some tape if you’re worried about marring it.
    I was just thinking the same thing.
    I’ve driven in the roll pin enough that it captures the bolt catch, but the pin has started to round out at the free end. I am worried about driving it the rest of the way in (for fear of rupturing the lower). So I am thinking that I should take out the half driven roll pin and try a new one with the above mentioned punch
    -Ben Franklin