Page 13 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    You mean like the one I just got in the mail today?

$55 USD + exchange + shipping + customs dinged me 10 bucks. Pretty much puts it right up to what you're talking about....

I'm glad some of you guys started talking about methods of removing the bolt catch roll pin.... just in case I don't like my hundred dollar bolt catch.
    You paid $100 for that? It looks like a basic one that comes in a LPK.
    I could have given you one,for free

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 10:21 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Well that makes sense. At least you’re getting a very nice feature,for the extra $90

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    What do you suggest to remove the bolt catch roll pin? Tap it out a bit then the rest of the way with pliers? Thats what I had to do. Serious question. I want a maritime bolt catch and I put a milspec one in just to get out shooting. But after taking it out on a coyote hunt i think that a maritime would make my life just a wee bit easier with gloved hands.
    We re-worked set of side cutter pliers to use only for this job. It kills the roll pin but so what it gets replaced anyway and the pliers will no longer cut a wire but with some machining they fit the bill nicely, the other key to this is a proper lower vise mounted to the bench to keep things from moving while the pin is tapped out.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    We re-worked set of side cutter pliers to use only for this job. It kills the roll pin but so what it gets replaced anyway and the pliers will no longer cut a wire but with some machining they fit the bill nicely, the other key to this is a proper lower vise mounted to the bench to keep things from moving while the pin is tapped out.
    I was thinking of grabbing the roll pin with vice grips and tapping it out with a hammer. Would you mind taking a picture of the custom side cutters so I can replicate them?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -Ben Franklin
    One cannot successfully legislate an object to control an action. QuickDraw16

Quote Originally Posted by QuickDraw16 View Post
    I was thinking of grabbing the roll pin with vice grips and tapping it out with a hammer. Would you mind taking a picture of the custom side cutters so I can replicate them?
    I used vice grips and tapped them and it worked well for me.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickDraw16 View Post
    Needle nosed vise grips work very well, like Shaun said a card under to protect the lower is also a great plan.

I bought a gently used Troy VTAC Alpha rail off a guy on here. Included barrel nut and what looks like a shim and flat washer. Can’t find anything stating I need to use them for mounting the barrel. I assume the thin one is a barrel shim. The other I have no idea. It’s roughly 1/8 thick. Any thoughts ? I assume the shim for gas tube alignment Id necessary. ?
    "Victory favours the prepared"

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Yup. Might be proof that a fool and his money are soon parted... but I can't take it with me either so....

It's actually a similar gizmo to the one used in the Cobalt Kinetics rifles. Drops the bolt automatically when a new mag is inserted.
    Smith Lightning Bolt? I have one on the way, too. Pair that with the Strike Industries self-ejecting mag followers, and away you go!
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

CF, CCFR, CSSA, NFA, JP, AF&AM