Page 21 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171819202122232425262728293141 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    It's perfectly legal if you only have 5 rounds in it. 10 rounds is legal for hunting predators.
    10 rounds for pests IS legal, 10 round capacity for big game will cause some legal problems if you get checked by fish n feathers, even if only loaded to 5 in Alberta as per the regs.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by yowski View Post
    Big Game

It is unlawful to

1. hunt big game with any weapon other than:
    l a bow or cross-bow, and arrow or bolt, that are lawful for hunting
    big game (see page 42),
    l a rifle and ammunition that are lawful for hunting big game,
    l a muzzle-loading firearm .44 calibre or greater, or
    l a shotgun and ammunition that are lawful for hunting big game.

2. set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of
    hunting big game:
    l ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
    l ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets,
    l an auto-loading firearm that has the capacity to hold more than 5
    cartridges in the magazine,

l a shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less,
    l a shotgun in a bird sanctuary,
    l bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (page 56),
    l a rifle or shotgun in WMUs 212, 248 or 410 (persons hunting
    Correct, but predator’s (presuming coyotes and such) fall under small game reg’s.
    When in doubt.....empty the magazine.....

Quote Originally Posted by soforcy View Post
    Just found out that the Brownells lightweight BCG won’t open the dust cover...

I assume the ejected round will open it right?
    Ruh-ro, I have one of those on the way. What seems to be the issue? Do you think once the internal spring in the cover wears in a little bit it'll work? Or is it a case of the Brownells BCG not contacting the cover when it travels rearward?
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

CF, CCFR, CSSA, NFA, JP, AF&AM

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BCreserveMP View Post
    Ruh-ro, I have one of those on the way. What seems to be the issue? Do you think once the internal spring in the cover wears in a little bit it'll work? Or is it a case of the Brownells BCG not contacting the cover when it travels rearward?
    It doesnt contact the dust cover. I also ran into this issue. If it really mean that much to you, you could add a dab of epoxy onto the dust cover to make it contact, or get a compatible carrier

Quote Originally Posted by ryroru View Post
    It doesnt contact the dust cover. I also ran into this issue. If it really mean that much to you, you could add a dab of epoxy onto the dust cover to make it contact, or get a compatible carrier
    Have you tried another carrier?
    I've had no issues with this bcg in a couple other rifles. I wonder if there is a small dimensional difference there or if it's the cover?
    What cover are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by scourge18a View Post
    Have you tried another carrier?
    I've had no issues with this bcg in a couple other rifles. I wonder if there is a small dimensional difference there or if it's the cover?
    What cover are you using?
    Two different guys having the same issue... Odds are it's not the cover. I looked online to see if anyone else is having this issue and couldn't find anything. I wonder if there's a slight difference between the area around the ejection port on the MS and a typical AR.

In any event, yeah, running a bead of epoxy along the contact point of the cover should do the trick. Another option is to shave a very slight amount
    from the tip of the plunger that keeps the cover closed. Maybe even cycling it a few dozen times would help. I know from experience that worn covers tend to spring open with just the jolt of the action being racked. I had one like that in basic and got jacked for it every day because it was always open :D

Edit: I haven't got my MS yet but my lightweight carrier *should* be arriving today if my Postie isn't too traumatized by the snow. I'll try it in my MDI and see if it works.
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

CF, CCFR, CSSA, NFA, JP, AF&AM

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by soforcy View Post
    Just found out that the Brownells lightweight BCG won’t open the dust cover. Regular BCG works fine.

I assume the ejected round will open it right?
    Must be related to the larger ejection port. When my mil spec bolt is installed there is a gap above it whereas in a regular AR the bolt seals up the entire ejection port (as designed to prevent ingress of dirt etc)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmbrowning View Post
    Must be related to the larger ejection port. When my mil spec bolt is installed there is a gap above it whereas in a regular AR the bolt seals up the entire ejection port (as designed to prevent ingress of dirt etc)
    Thanks for the clarity.
    I'll check tonight when CP brings my uppers

The Brownells lightweight BCG does not contact the dust cover at all. I add some tape on the plunger and it would works fine but the tape won’t stay lol.

CGN Regular
    It’s stacked tolerances with both the bcg and the door.
    The strike door works fine with all my bcg except the lightweight brownells.
    The brownells bcg opens the other doors I’ve tested fine ( milspec and v7 )

These are just the joys ( and frustrations ) of building anything custom. Custom cars are no different, many times the parts work fine with standard parts, but start mixing and matching and you often end up with non compatible items.

On a side note, my strike door on my stag took some trimming and filing before it would fully seat and open.