Page 24 of 93 FirstFirst ... 41416171819202122232425262728293031323444 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Sorry, the tab is too tall, it won’t slide back as it does with regular BCG’s.

Lol I tried pushing back pretty hard before realizing the tab was stopping me.
    Can spring and guide rod be separated from the back plate or is the spring guide fixed in place?

I can’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be able to have that rear plate machined to fit in the buffer tube (like a normal bolt carrier) and have a tab welded an appropriate distance forward on the guide rod.

This assumes that the tab would then fit in the upper.

I can try and sketch out what mean if it’s not clear.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -Ben Franklin
    One cannot successfully legislate an object to control an action. QuickDraw16

Quote Originally Posted by QuickDraw16 View Post
    Can spring and guide rod be separated from the back plate or is the spring guide fixed in place?

I can’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be able to have that rear plate machined to fit in the buffer tube (like a normal bolt carrier) and have a tab welded an appropriate distance forward on the guide rod.

This assumes that the tab would then fit in the upper.

I can try and sketch out what mean if it’s not clear.
    That would be my thought as well
    "Victory favours the prepared"

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Anyone try a 22lr kit yet? My bolt doesn’t work, looks like the upper is shorter then an AR15 upper by .175 thou, the end of the BCG sticks out and there’s a tab at the back up top to retain the BCG return spring.

The pictures show the tab and why it won’t work how it’s currently set up. The only part I can see modifying is the area the BCG locks into the barrel, skim that down on a lathe .175” and the whole carrier moves into the upper. Might have to get a different setup if this doesn’t work.

Or cut a notch in my lower where the tab would go... :D
    The tab doesnt sit in the slot in the upper? It looks like it should fit. Is it the tab or the whole end plate that is to big to fit in the upper?

Edit: never mind I see why it wont fit. The whole guide rail is too long. Not just the plate on the end fitting

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    The tab doesnt sit in the slot in the upper? It looks like it should fit. Is it the tab or the whole end plate that is to big to fit in the upper?

Edit: never mind I see why it wont fit. The whole guide rail is too long. Not just the plate on the end fitting
    I’m wondering if there’s enough room for the bolt carrier to travel back if you just cut off the end plate at the rear and take 3/16 or so off the guide rod and metal fork shaped piece at the bottom ? Then weld back together.
    "Victory favours the prepared"

Quote Originally Posted by Chiappaman View Post
    Welp.... My MDI SLR is far better than my MS, I am thoroughly disappointed with ATRS.
    Why do you say this? I'm very happy with mine.

My upper and lower are extremely rattly as well. I have not done the hockey tape trick yet.

Quote Originally Posted by robab View Post
    I’m wondering if there’s enough room for the bolt carrier to travel back if you just cut off the end plate at the rear and take 3/16 or so off the guide rod and metal fork shaped piece at the bottom ? Then weld back together.
    Maybe a guy could even just file the top of the tab down.

As for wiggle, (hockey tape aside) I'm going to double check and make sure the front pin from my LPK isnt undersized.
    One other thing I thought about was removing the rear pin and making a sleeve that i can slowly remove material from until it locks up solid.
    Last edited by ThatM305Guy; 02-14-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    I am a kit hor(der)

Welp.... My MDI SLR is far better than my MS, I am thoroughly disappointed with ATRS.
    I feel the exact opposite.
    When I brought up my issues with the other manufacturer I was completely ignored. ATRS has been very upfront with any known issues and offered solutions. Both are proprietary, not ARs.
    I am much happier with the communication, fit and finish, design and warranty with my MS.
    I am sure if you aren't happy ATRS will look after you. Or I am sure that someone will pay you more than you paid for it if you wanted to get rid of it and wait for another SLR. SLRs being available in Calgary before fulfilling orders elsewhere and a complete lack of communication to those dealers when they reportedly had to pay upfront are reason enough for me to never touch one again.
    Everyone makes mistakes, it just depends on how they deal with them. I'd say there is a clear difference in character there.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietz View Post
    Seems like opening the ejection port for the very few who will use big calibers is going to cause a bunch of weird issues and severe uneven wearing for everybody down the road. The top bolt carrier sliding surface on the ejection port side is unsupported, it doesn't contact the upper at all for the lenght of the port, and it hits the ledge created by the opened port when it moves back...

When the bolt carrier is in battery, the rounds in the magazine push up hard on the bolt carrier... having both sides of the top of the carrier contacting and sliding along the upper is very important, otherwise the bolt carrier is getting some weird twisting force and motion during cycling if one side is floating unsupported like that because of the rounds in the magazine pushing up on it.........................no?

Can ATRS chime in on this please?
    Several LARGE US manufacturers have been doing exactly the same thing as we are regarding an enlarged port, and for many years now and this is the first we have ever heard of what we believe is a non issue.
    In the thousands of rounds fired in the prototypes and T&E guns we have not seen any issue as you describe. The only "issue" with the enlarged port, which really is non issue is that there is not as much material for the port door catch to engage in, so fitment of the door needs a little more work.
    We enlarged to port opening due to the number of guys wanting the ability to do big bore builds.
    Given that the F/A uppers have not started production we can shrink the port back to standard AR size. So if this is a huge concern for you I would recommend purchasing the F/A upper if you intent to purchase a Modern Sporter.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    So why do you come here to whine? IF you are not a shill and IF you actually purchased our reciever set why not man up and let me know so we can see what your problem is and resolve it?
    I smell shill but am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, for now.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there