Page 37 of 93 FirstFirst ... 172729303132333435363738394041424344454757 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

I believe its called G96 gun treatment but maybe ATRS can clarify.
    I dont have the can in front of me.
    They have gun oil and gun treatment I believe.

But I can always remember that smell, smells so damn good.
    Last edited by scourge18a; 02-20-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Coolio.. I was curious as to why the tone of the coating was slightly different between upper and lower. It all makes sense now!

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scourge18a View Post
    They have mentioned a couple of times they used G96 to get that rich black look.
    My uppers came bare with no oil and looked dull in comparison to my lower so I soaked them in G96. Matches perfectly now.
    I had a similar dull look on my Odin handguard so I gave it the same G96 treatment and now seems to be nearly identical. I think you will always have a variation in anodized color depending on who does it but this was close enough for me.
    You can maybe try that but if you are going Cerakote anyways maybe don't bother as all the oil will have to be cleaned off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pschilly View Post
    Coolio.. I was curious as to why the tone of the coating was slightly different between upper and lower. It all makes sense now!
    The anodizing will vary depending on who is doing the anodizing and how they achieve "black", because in the world of anodizing there actually ISN'T a real black. They achieve what we consider to be black by going to the darkest blue that they can. I forget the other colour they can take extremely dark to immitate black, we saw the variations when we experimented with different anodizers. After anodizing the material often appears 'dry' and coating it in a light oil (such as G96 gun treatment) can really enhance the look.

We coated all the lowers as they came back from anodizing with G96, and then found a number of guys who were looking to get them coated. You cannot apply cerakote, duracote, etc. on top of an oil residue. So when shipping the uppers, we opted not to oil them.

Oiling the maple ridge handguards helps, but it doesn't give you a perfect match because their anodizer isn't using the same dye recipe as our anodizer.

The only way to achieve a completely uniform colour between parts is to cerakote the upper, lower, and handguard, and to do it at the same time. Several manufacturers are close enough in their colours that you'd have a really hard time telling them apart though.

Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    Oiling the maple ridge handguards helps, but it doesn't give you a perfect match because their anodizer isn't using the same dye recipe as our anodizer.

The only way to achieve a completely uniform colour between parts is to cerakote the upper, lower, and handguard, and to do it at the same time. Several manufacturers are close enough in their colours that you'd have a really hard time telling them apart though.
    How involved is that to have done, Shaun? Major pain?

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    How involved is that to have done, Shaun? Major pain?
    before assembly, not too bad. I meant to get to your email about this today, I was actually just thinking of it on the way home. I'll get back to you tomorrow on the pricing, but to cerakote the handguard alone won't necessarily give it the same black, it'll appear as a different texture. to make it uniform i'd recommend doing the whole set.

Curious how this photo people are so worried about is actually just camera foolery...
    https://imgur.com/a/eDUpSxW
    www.canadiangunnutz.com

BANNED
    Range queens always need to ##### complain about something....lol... Real men just Krylon the ##### and go shooting !

CGN Regular
    Hey just seeing if someone could help me out with handguard options. I have a bsf cf barrel with an od of .875 and the superlative clamp on gas block with the od of 1.616. Has anyone ran anything similar and what handguard did you use. Having a hard time finding a pile of options that clear

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 6ohmoney View Post
    Hey just seeing if someone could help me out with handguard options. I have a bsf cf barrel with an od of .875 and the superlative clamp on gas block with the od of 1.616. Has anyone ran anything similar and what handguard did you use. Having a hard time finding a pile of options that clear
    Jp will clear.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."