Page 42 of 93 FirstFirst ... 223234353637383940414243444546474849505262 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDeadlyAccountant View Post
    Good to know, thanks for the info. I'd probably go with a restricted barrel length in the end since I don't think there's anything out there.

I'll have to look up how the law works in regards to having a restricted upper on a non-restricted receiver.
    In order to use it you’d have to register the lower as restricted.

CGN Regular SuperDeadlyAccountant's Avatar
    Another question - anyone know if PDW stocks like the Battle Arms VERT PDW are compatible as well?

I see no reason they wouldn't be, but these receivers aren't exactly standard mil-spec stuff.

BANNED
    Another question - anyone know if PDW stocks like the Battle Arms VERT PDW are compatible as well?

I see no reason they wouldn't be, but these receivers aren't exactly standard mil-spec stuff.
    A guy on the photo thread has a PDW stock on his, you may want to go check it out, i cant remember the brand.

CGN Regular
    Good to know, thanks for the info. I'd probably go with a restricted barrel length in the end since I don't think there's anything out there.

I'll have to look up how the law works in regards to having a restricted upper on a non-restricted receiver.
    If you intend to go restricted why not use an AR which is already a restricted platform and not muddy the waters for the rest of us who intend to keep the Sporter as the NON Restricted firearm option it was intended to be?

It will be the lower and upper (the lower being considered the gun in Canada) that is then deemed to be restricted when the short barrelled upper is installed. The upper is a NON regulated part. You will have 30 days in which to get it verified and registered and in that time you can't take it anywhere. Once it is registered as restricted which completely defeats the whole point of the Sporter, it will then have to be verified again and de-registered when a longer NR length barrel is installed and again the 1 month thing is in effect.

CGN Regular SuperDeadlyAccountant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by no-one special View Post
    If you intend to go restricted why not use an AR which is already a restricted platform and not muddy the waters for the rest of us who intend to keep the Sporter as the NON Restricted firearm option it was intended to be?

It will be the lower and upper (the lower being considered the gun in Canada) that is then deemed to be restricted when the short barrelled upper is installed. The upper is a NON regulated part. You will have 30 days in which to get it verified and registered and in that time you can't take it anywhere. Once it is registered as restricted which completely defeats the whole point of the Sporter, it will then have to be verified again and de-registered when a longer NR length barrel is installed and again the 1 month thing is in effect.
    Could just put the upper on at the range, then you're not technically taking it anywhere.

I joke, it's one of the options I considering seeing as I'm getting a sporter receiver set anyways.

Could just put the upper on at the range, then you're not technically taking it anywhere.

I joke, it's one of the options I considering seeing as I'm getting a sporter receiver set anyways.
    Can you actually legally change to shorter barrel upper at the range?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by bomiheko View Post
    can you actually legally change to shorter barrel upper at the range?
    no it is 100% illegal.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 10:30 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I dont understand taking this nr set and intentionally turning it restricted. Nothing like kicking your self in the nuts and the rest of us at the same time. When you can buy a restricted set and not potentially make the rest of us targets for the horse cops to come knock on our doors. If you want a barrel under 18.6 just buy a God damn ar15 and leave the modern sporter alone

Quote Originally Posted by BCreserveMP View Post
    Just my $0.02, and I don't want to come off as paranoid, but I think doing this is a terrible idea, regardless. You don't want anybody at the CFO, or the media, or the government suddenly saying " hey there are thousands of non-restricted rifles out there which are easily converted to/from restricted length in seconds, by hundreds of people who have the parts to do so, without any kind of Machining skills or anything. We are basically taking them at their word that they won't do it".

Just think it's a bad idea in general to draw attention to ourselves.
    Exactly. Canadian gun owners are their own worst enemy and never consider how something they are doing with affect hundred or thousands of people that own the same rifle. Look at the swiss arms debacle and how fast the horse cops prohibited them because one jack a$$ opened his mouth and made hundreds of people overnight paper criminals. The same thing would happen if some self indulgent clown takes this and makes it restricted and keeps swapping it back and forth between the 2 telling the CFO exactly what they are doing and when they are doing it. Leave the non restricteds alone with barrels over 18.6.

If the turd gets his way it wont just be ar15s that get banned it will be any semi auto including the ms stag 10 bcl 102 macdef rem 1187, 1100 7400 740 mini 14 benelli m1 m305 sks and the rest not just the ar 15. avoiding the "automatic registry" isnt going to change or stop anything when turdo gets his way.