Page 43 of 93 FirstFirst ... 233335363738394041424344454647484950515363 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

BANNED
    Yes, it is a question and answer thread, however that does not mean your question is impervious to criticism. If you want to play ignorant in this legal "grey" area, prepare to pay the price, which believe me you dont want to pay, people are just looking out for you dude, the rcmp banned ruger 10 22 mags for f#ck sakes imagine what theyd do if they found your little project.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDeadlyAccountant View Post
    The reason the whole CZ858 and Swiss Arms debacle came about was because a BUSINESS OWNER informed the RCMP that they - and others - received CONVERTED AUTOMATICS which are prohibited. Unless ATRS starts drilling in third pin holes for the full auto sear then all of this is a non-issue.

Idk why someone would keep telling the CFO that they're changing the lower every range trip, that would be pretty silly
    Think ahead about media ramifications and potential issue that could arise for other gun owners. There are other people in this country and other ways to get what you want without jeopardizing the rest of us with selfish wants. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

BANNED
    "Under the Firearms Act, all restricted and prohibited firearms must be registered." This is verbatim from the Firearms Act. How this is a "grey" area is beyond me, if you put a restricted length upper onto a non restricted (unregistered) lower, you now have an unregistered restricted firearm in your hands, now keeping that in mind read that quote from the Firearms Act again...

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    ...Having a restricted barrel is well on your side of the line. Swapping upper to restricted on a non-registered rifle at a range for the afternoon is definitely well into the grey area.
    I agree with this, but my statement was about people who would actually notify the CFO. Obviously that is the lawful and right thing to do, but it also draws attention to the fact that these modern designs are so easily convertible. I I would suggest that most people who are anti gun have no idea how modular and easy it is to convert the barrel length on a modern sporting rifle. Why make it easy for them to find out? They're just going to use that information against us. And I think it's a pretty fair bet that if people calling the CFO with any regularity to move their firearms between restricted and non-restricted status is going to become an issue for the CFO, and that will filter up to their masters, and down to street level law enforcement. My two cents is if you want to build something restricted, build it restricted. If you want to get something non-restricted and convert it, you're not doing our sport any favors. It doesn't really do you any good anyway, because you're paying almost triple for a receiver set which you would have to register anyway. Just buy a cheap AR, register that, and switch barrels on that at your convenience.
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

CF, CCFR, CSSA, NFA, JP, AF&AM

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    I dont understand taking this nr set and intentionally turning it restricted. Nothing like kicking your self in the nuts and the rest of us at the same time. When you can buy a restricted set and not potentially make the rest of us targets for the horse cops to come knock on our doors. If you want a barrel under 18.6 just buy a God damn ar15 and leave the modern sporter alone
    ^^this
    CCFR — CSSA

CGN Regular
    More on the TriggerTech adaptive trigger compatibility issues:
    - regardless of if you go to a KNS takedown pin or removable rear takedown pin you'll need to file down the back of the adjustment screw housing because you still won't have enough clearance due to the BCG sticking out the back of the upper. See pictures:

As you can see, it's very close. So much so that I think I will take a file to the back of it as it doesn't look like you need to remove much.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 10:30 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Is there any chance that you can tip the upper so the bcg will start to go into the lower and then let the upper down and finish pushing it back and in?
    That’s how I got the Geiselle HSNM to fit in there. I had to take the rear pin out,,as well..
    But it was still to tight to function correctly.
    I think the bottom of that hook is causing issues as well.
    Some material may need to be removed from it as well.
    Last edited by Brianma65; 02-24-2019 at 10:51 PM.

CGN Regular SuperDeadlyAccountant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    More on the TriggerTech adaptive trigger compatibility issues:
    - regardless of if you go to a KNS takedown pin or removable rear takedown pin you'll need to file down the back of the adjustment screw housing because you still won't have enough clearance due to the BCG sticking out the back of the upper. See pictures:

As you can see, it's very close. So much so that I think I will take a file to the back of it as it doesn't look like you need to remove much.
    Looks really close.

At least it looks like only a small amount of filing is needed. I haven't seen anyone else with this issue so maybe manufacturing tolerances just stacked against you in this regard?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Is there any chance that you can tip the upper so the bcg will start to go into the lower and then let the upper down and finish pushing it back and in?
    No, same issue with trying to get the rear lug on the upper past the adjustment screw housing on the trigger. Even more of an issue trying to mate the upper and lower that way.