Page 49 of 93 FirstFirst ... 293941424344454647484950515253545556575969 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    I ended up using a Hiperfire Sharp Shooter trigger.

https://www.hiperfire.com/product/edt-sharp-shooter/
    I was planning on a Geiselle SSP, but at half the cost , this looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    I was planning on a Geiselle SSP, but at half the cost , this looks good.
    I’m using the same hyper fire and it’s excellent for how much it costs.

Quote Originally Posted by robab View Post
    Tried my MS today. It’s having issues with feeding and not locking bolt to rear. The tolerance seems pretty tight on the bolt catch where it meets the face of the bolt. Some mags choked on every round or 2nd round. As it got broke in seems to run better. Went 3 full mags with not issue. Then having intermittent issues. My question is obviously I’ll chwck gas block alignment bc it seems undergassed. But I’m running a normal adjustable stock with carbine buffer spring and weight. Could this also be causing? Should i switch to rifle length spring and weight ? I’m
    any luck fixing this?

CGN frequent flyer CraigNConnor's Avatar
    I really don't know why people don't just buy adjustable gas blocks when building their rifles.

You would never have these problems to begin with.

Tried my MS today. It’s having issues with feeding and not locking bolt to rear. The tolerance seems pretty tight on the bolt catch where it meets the face of the bolt. Some mags choked on every round or 2nd round. As it got broke in seems to run better. Went 3 full mags with not issue. Then having intermittent issues. My question is obviously I’ll chwck gas block alignment bc it seems undergassed. But I’m running a normal adjustable stock with carbine buffer spring and weight. Could this also be causing? Should i switch to rifle length spring and weight ? I’m

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigNConnor View Post
    I really don't know why people don't just buy adjustable gas blocks when building their rifles.

Well actually all an adjustable gas block dose is reduce gas soo if you’re under gassed it’s not gonna help, I have an adjustable gas block and low mass carrier and I’m running just about full open to the point I should have just got a normal gas block, I’m guessing it would be more useful on a shorter gas system. Also I had similar issues with my bolt not locking back it ended up being my captured buffer system. For what ever reason it won’t let my bolt travel far enough to lock open. I have not tried it in my AR to see if it’s the buffer or the MS, I even tried spinning out my buffer tube a couple turns. I put a regular buffer in my MS and it works great

Quote Originally Posted by rberresheim View Post
    Well actually all an adjustable gas block dose is reduce gas soo if you’re under gassed it’s not gonna help, I have an adjustable gas block and low mass carrier and I’m running just about full open to the point I should have just got a normal gas block, I’m guessing it would be more useful on a shorter gas system. Also I had similar issues with my bolt not locking back it ended up being my captured buffer system. For what ever reason it won’t let my bolt travel far enough to lock open. I have not tried it in my AR to see if it’s the buffer or the MS, I even tried spinning out my buffer tube a couple turns. I put a regular buffer in my MS and it works great
    ^^this

A rifle length gas system is not suited for an adjustable gas block and should be properly timed by utilizing the correct buffer weight, proper spring length and tension, proper buffer tube lengths (yes commercial and mil-spec are different - even one mil-spec to another can be different) and last but not least the correct bolt carrier group. These are the items that should be experimented with.

Leave the adjustable gas blocks to the pistol-some Carbine and suppressed builds.
    CCFR — CSSA

Depends on what you are doing and the components you are using. But yes an adjustable gas block is only to reduce gas not increase.

In my eyes it is better to correct the problem at the source.
    Not enough gas, check the port size, gas block alignment, gas block itself for obstructions, then double check the other components and ensure you are using standard parts and not a heavy buffer or heavy spring.
    Too much gas and I like to start at the source of the problem. But since you can't make the port smaller I like an adjustable gas block as opposed to band aid solutions like heavier buffers and springs.

I have my rifle length gas dialed back a bit, but I am also using a low mass BCG, Taccom buffers and spring that are both lighter than standard. I think its retarded to use a heavy buffer with a low mass BCG, defeats the purpose.
    But my intention is likely different from others.
    Last edited by scourge18a; 03-05-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigNConnor View Post

Adjustable gas block wouldn’t have helped. My buffer tube seems to be out of spec not allowing bcg to travel far enough to the rear causing a short stroke type failure. New buffer tube on order.
    "Victory favours the prepared"

Quote Originally Posted by scourge18a View Post
    Depends on what you are doing and the components you are using. But yes an adjustable gas block is only to reduce gas not increase.

In my eyes it is better to correct the problem at the source.
    Not enough gas, check the port size, gas block alignment, gas block itself for obstructions, then double check the other components and ensure you are using standard parts and not a heavy buffer or heavy spring.
    Too much gas and I like to start at the source of the problem. But since you can't make the port smaller I like an adjustable gas block as opposed to band aid solutions like heavier buffers and springs.

I have my rifle length gas dialed back a bit, but I am also using a low mass BCG, Taccom buffers and spring that are both lighter than standard. I think its retarded to use a heavy buffer with a low mass BCG, defeats the purpose.
    But my intention is likely different from others.
    You bring up a good point with the low mass BCG because it does defeat the purpose if one is used with a heavier buffer to compensate. My feeling is that these specialty shops and manufacturers all promote these pieces for sales over purpose. I know we like spending on toys which is fine but are they really needed? I am not criticizing as I even have one to try because I am like a Crow with shiny things.
    CCFR — CSSA

Adjustable gas block wouldn’t have helped. My buffer tube seems to be out of spec not allowing bcg to travel far enough to the rear causing a short stroke type failure. New buffer tube on order.
    how do you know it’s out of spec? Did you check the spring because you would hate to change the tube and have the identical issue when using the original spring.
    CCFR — CSSA