Page 66 of 93 FirstFirst ... 465658596061626364656667686970717273747686 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

Agreed.
    Just shoot it.

Anyone have issues with geissele mk8 handguards?

Anyone else find that mags wont drop free? I,ve tried PMAGS, CPD LAR, CPD 5/30, and MFT pistol mags. Mags drop free when I insert them into just the lower but when i try try with the rifle together i cant get them to drop free. Anyone know how i can get them to drop free?
    Last edited by TheRedViking; 04-20-2019 at 10:50 PM.

I finally got my MS to the indoor range today. Ran 3 boxes of 6.5 Grendel through it. To anyone wondering a Geissele National Match trigger works fine, if you have a 'normal' rear takedown pin.

CGN Regular SuperDeadlyAccountant's Avatar
    If we're building a high precision rifle, is it necessary to lap the upper receiver, or is that pretty much already done when they're being made?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDeadlyAccountant View Post
    If we're building a high precision rifle, is it necessary to lap the upper receiver, or is that pretty much already done when they're being made?
    On a forged receiver set this isn't a bad idea at all. I'm very curious about how square the receiver face would be on a milled receiver such as a MS as they come from ATRS...

Quote Originally Posted by JayCarver View Post
    On a forged receiver set this isn't a bad idea at all. I'm very curious about how square the receiver face would be on a milled receiver such as a MS as they come from ATRS...
    I’ve never seen a receiver face that was truly flat and didn’t need a lapping job. Forged, billet or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by JayCarver View Post
    I've seen it recommended on any upper receiver regardless of how it's made. I'm more curious if ATRS does it (or would do it) so I don't have to buy my own lapping kit.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDeadlyAccountant View Post
    I've seen it recommended on any upper receiver regardless of how it's made. I'm more curious if ATRS does it (or would do it) so I don't have to buy my own lapping kit.
    What gains are to be had from doing it? I can't imagine things are out of square enough on one of these to notice any difference before or after.

What barrel are you planning to install?
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

Quote Originally Posted by cr5 View Post
    What gains are to be had from doing it? I can't imagine things are out of square enough on one of these to notice any difference before or after.

What barrel are you planning to install?
    There are videos on YouTube and there's a fairly significant improvement in groupings by lapping the upper. It's not necessarily just the square that's the issue, it's uneven surfaces that mate with the barrel, which can cause each round to behave differently than the last.

I have a MRA 18.6" 223 wylde barrel.