Page 67 of 93 FirstFirst ... 475759606162636465666768697071727374757787 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

I have a few quick questions for anyone in the know...

Is there any compatibility between MV and MS uppers and lowers? I know ATRS sells complete uppers for the MV...will these work with the MS lower? I'm sure this is pretty basic stuff and covered elsewhere but I haven't been able to track down a definitive answer.

I was also wondering if anyone had installed either a KAC or PRI handguard on an MS receiver and if any complications arose with compatibility?

Many thanks, SH

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by medic265 View Post
    I have a few quick questions for anyone in the know...

Is there any compatibility between MV and MS uppers and lowers? I know ATRS sells complete uppers for the MV...will these work with the MS lower? I'm sure this is pretty basic stuff and covered elsewhere but I haven't been able to track down a definitive answer.

I was also wondering if anyone had installed either a KAC or PRI handguard on an MS receiver and if any complications arose with compatibility?

Many thanks, SH
    MS and MV are not compatible.
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

Super GunNutz
    I had a URX 4 on an MV, with no issues.
    Not sure if that helps

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDeadlyAccountant View Post
    I've seen it recommended on any upper receiver regardless of how it's made. I'm more curious if ATRS does it (or would do it) so I don't have to buy my own lapping kit.
    I would think the chances of the barrel extension being not perfectly true would be more of a concern along with barrel misalignment in the extension.
    Having had a glimpse at how ATRS actually machines their parts and knowing how close they keep their tolerances I doubt this is an issue. I own at least 1 version of every semi auto they build and the accuracy from all is stellar.

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by no-one special View Post
    I would think the chances of the barrel extension being not perfectly true would be more of a concern along with barrel misalignment in the extension.
    Having had a glimpse at how ATRS actually machines their parts and knowing how close they keep their tolerances I doubt this is an issue. I own at least 1 version of every semi auto they build and the accuracy from all is stellar.
    Apparently you missed the the earlier MH threads.

CGN Regular SuperDeadlyAccountant's Avatar
    I talked to ATRS and they recommend NOT lapping their receivers since they use the face that contacts the barrel as a reference point for the entire upper, meaning it's very accurate and lapping can actually make it worse.

From my reading, lapping is usually recommended on forged receivers and cheaply made billets.

Does anyone know if the Midwest Industries Combat Rail series will work with the MS receiver?

Is there anyway to determine compatibility of handguards without relying on anecdotal beta from guys who have tried installing a particular model? This is my first build of this type and I am hesitant to get into a situation where I need to do extensive metal filing/modifications to make a handguard fit well.

Thanks for your input.

[URL="http://https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguards-amp-rails/ar-15-combat-handguards-free-float-m-lok-prod120014.aspx"]http://https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguards-amp-rails/ar-15-combat-handguards-free-float-m-lok-prod120014.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by 45C View Post
    I had a URX 4 on an MV, with no issues.
    Not sure if that helps
    Thanks for that...could I ask where you got it? Import from Brownells?

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by medic265 View Post
    Thanks for that...could I ask where you got it? Import from Brownells?
    Got it from a site sponsor, but I think he’s gone out of business now..
    Farm boy??? Maybe
    I think CSC took over the KAC .

But Brownells has them as well

CGN Regular
    Hey ATRS, wondering if you’d address problems like this fella’s charging handle coming out of the slot ever so slightly?

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...l-Observations

I’m about to buy a FA set but wondering if this is addressed, as I might see it as hick-up, Thanks!
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.