Modern Sporter builds Q&A

You mean like the one I just got in the mail today? :d

l_100-032-743_1_m.jpg

$55 USD + exchange + shipping + customs dinged me 10 bucks. Pretty much puts it right up to what you're talking about....

I'm glad some of you guys started talking about methods of removing the bolt catch roll pin.... just in case I don't like my hundred dollar bolt catch.
You paid $100 for that? It looks like a basic one that comes in a LPK.
I could have given you one,for free:)

What do you suggest to remove the bolt catch roll pin? Tap it out a bit then the rest of the way with pliers? Thats what I had to do. Serious question. I want a maritime bolt catch and I put a milspec one in just to get out shooting. But after taking it out on a coyote hunt i think that a maritime would make my life just a wee bit easier with gloved hands.

We re-worked set of side cutter pliers to use only for this job. It kills the roll pin but so what it gets replaced anyway and the pliers will no longer cut a wire but with some machining they fit the bill nicely, the other key to this is a proper lower vise mounted to the bench to keep things from moving while the pin is tapped out.

We re-worked set of side cutter pliers to use only for this job. It kills the roll pin but so what it gets replaced anyway and the pliers will no longer cut a wire but with some machining they fit the bill nicely, the other key to this is a proper lower vise mounted to the bench to keep things from moving while the pin is tapped out.

I was thinking of grabbing the roll pin with vice grips and tapping it out with a hammer. Would you mind taking a picture of the custom side cutters so I can replicate them?

I was thinking of grabbing the roll pin with vice grips and tapping it out with a hammer. Would you mind taking a picture of the custom side cutters so I can replicate them?

Needle nosed vise grips work very well, like Shaun said a card under to protect the lower is also a great plan.

I bought a gently used Troy VTAC Alpha rail off a guy on here. Included barrel nut and what looks like a shim and flat washer. Can’t find anything stating I need to use them for mounting the barrel. I assume the thin one is a barrel shim. The other I have no idea. It’s roughly 1/8 thick. Any thoughts ? I assume the shim for gas tube alignment Id necessary. ?

Yup. Might be proof that a fool and his money are soon parted... but I can't take it with me either so.... :d

It's actually a similar gizmo to the one used in the Cobalt Kinetics rifles. Drops the bolt automatically when a new mag is inserted.

Smith Lightning Bolt? I have one on the way, too. Pair that with the Strike Industries self-ejecting mag followers, and away you go!

So the upper doesnt come with the pin to hold it to the lower (front takedowb pin) ? And if we have a takedown pin from anotber AR theres no detent in tbe lower?

Can you link me to the product I need to purcahsed to hold tbe upper to the lower?

So the upper doesnt come with the pin to hold it to the lower (front takedowb pin) ? And if we have a takedown pin from anotber AR theres no detent in tbe lower?

Can you link me to the product I need to purcahsed to hold tbe upper to the lower?

It's the same pin detent and spring from an ar

The front takedown pin the same as a standard AR front pin, uses the spring and detent as well.

Ahhh okay. Sorry. First time building this. (Slr doesnt use front pin) and SFRC didnt send me the detent when I bought a stripped SA 20.

edit: okay looks like i might be sending mine to ATRS to build ( thats an option right?) I ####ed up putting on the barrel nut (not enough torque) and i pinned the front sight into the barrel locking the gas tube into place but the barrel nut isnt tight enough and i dont want to risjk breaking the front A-frame gas block/sight removing the barrel pins + lack of appropriate tools.

FML i feel dumb for attempting this without the right tools. I take back everything I said in another thread.

Last edited:
Ahhh okay. Sorry. First time building this. (Slr doesnt use front pin) and SFRC didnt send me the detent when I bought a stripped SA 20.

edit: okay looks like i might be sending mine to ATRS to build ( thats an option right?) I ####ed up putting on the barrel nut (not enough torque) and i pinned the front sight into the barrel locking the gas tube into place but the barrel nut isnt tight enough and i dont want to risjk breaking the front A-frame gas block/sight removing the barrel pins + lack of appropriate tools.

FML i feel dumb for attempting this without the right tools. I take back everything I said in another thread.

What type of nut/handguard are you using? Maybe someone has a crowfoot type wrench so that you can retorque your nut without removing anything.

....i pinned the front sight into the barrel locking the gas tube into place but the barrel nut isnt tight enough and i dont want to risjk breaking the front A-frame gas block/sight removing the barrel pins + lack of appropriate tools.....

Not sure if I'm understanding what you've posted. You need to tighten the barrel nut but it's the kind that the gas tube feeds through?

Before you panic, try disconnecting the gas tube from the block. If your BCG is fully back (or out of the receiver) you may find you have enough rearward tube travel to be able to remove it without having to fiddle with the gas block.

Back
Top Bottom