Page 89 of 93 FirstFirst ... 697981828384858687888990919293 LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by G.Mitchell View Post
    I’m reading lots of complaints about mag compatibility. How common an issue is this?

I’d planned to use Gen 3 PMAGS, and the metal 10/30 mags S&J have/had. Maybe the Canadian made pistol mags too.

Is the mag issue something the end user can fix?
    I've tested steel GI mags, gen 2 pmags, ATRS 10 round pistol mags, LAR - 10 round pistol mags, even Black Dog 22LR mags for my 22 conversion, all work and cycle fine, the pmags were a bit tight inserting and did not drop free without a little pull.
    "Victory favours the prepared"

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Mitchell View Post
    I’m reading lots of complaints about mag compatibility. How common an issue is this?

I’d planned to use Gen 3 PMAGS, and the metal 10/30 mags S&J have/had. Maybe the Canadian made pistol mags too.

Is the mag issue something the end user can fix?
    It is not common, there were some uppers made (slick sides) that had an issue with the dimensions at the front. We caught this caught this fairly quickly and thought we had stopped any from getting out... It appears that a box (20-30) clearly made it through and got past us. So of the thousand or so receivers currently out in the public, it's a very small chance, and we are happy to correct it, if given the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    It is not common, there were some uppers made (slick sides) that had an issue with the dimensions at the front. We caught this caught this fairly quickly and thought we had stopped any from getting out... It appears that a box (20-30) clearly made it through and got past us. So of the thousand or so receivers currently out in the public, it's a very small chance, and we are happy to correct it, if given the opportunity.
    I messaged you guys about my one set. The other set with just the pivot pin installed works fine.

CGN frequent flyer
    Anyone else having their rear-fixed pin start rotating in the receiver?
    My buddy's build has some upper/lower play and the rear pin is spinning. Im not sure what to do to fix it, since he had me assemble it for him.
    f:P

Can atrs cerakote before sending out? Price on a set finished OD?

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brit84 View Post
    Can atrs cerakote before sending out? Price on a set finished OD?
    We charge $250 to cerakote an upper, lower and handguard.

CGN Regular lt.hicks@rogers.com's Avatar
    Out of curiosity, how is the barrel receiver extension to upper fit on these? What is the measurement ATRS is opening their receivers up to to accept the barrels?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by lt.hicks@rogers.com View Post
    Out of curiosity, how is the barrel receiver extension to upper fit on these? What is the measurement ATRS is opening their receivers up to to accept the barrels?
    I have installed 3 barrels into 2 receivers. I took measurements but don’t recall them. All three barrels needed one complete wrap of 0.001” shim stock for a nice fit. Having said that I’ve only seen one barrel/receiver interface that didn’t need any shim stock in about 10 builds so this isn't out of the ordinary imo.

The barrels were:
    BSF
    Faxon
    Custom lilja from ATRS(don’t know who’s extensions they use).

Quote Originally Posted by JayCarver View Post
    I have installed 3 barrels into 2 receivers. I took measurements but don’t recall them. All three barrels needed one complete wrap of 0.001” shim stock for a nice fit. Having said that I’ve only seen one barrel/receiver interface that didn’t need any shim stock in about 10 builds so this isn't out of the ordinary imo.

The barrels were:
    BSF
    Faxon
    Custom lilja from ATRS(don’t know who’s extensions they use).
    I'm about to help my gun buddy from Canmore with an ATRS build. It will be my first. He's going with a BSF barrel.

So what is "Shim Stock"? A quick google suggests it wraps around the barrel for a tighter fit - is that it?

Where can a guy lay their hands on some? I dont imagine there is a great selection around Canmore so it might be an internet thing. I looked around a little and it seems like it comes in a bunch of different materials (aluminum / brass / steel) and thicknesses / widths.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    I'm about to help my gun buddy from Canmore with an ATRS build. It will be my first. He's going with a BSF barrel.

So what is "Shim Stock"? A quick google suggests it wraps around the barrel for a tighter fit - is that it?

Where can a guy lay their hands on some? I dont imagine there is a great selection around Canmore so it might be an internet thing. I looked around a little and it seems like it comes in a bunch of different materials (aluminum / brass / steel) and thicknesses / widths.
    It's just a sheet of stainless steel that's 0.001" thick, comes in a roll, 6" wide, however long. I think I got mine from amazon but not sure could have been Acklands.

I just cut a strip as wide as the extension, then cut it so it doesn't quite wrap the whole way around. Trim a bit for the feed ramp and some for the aliment pin if needed. It cuts like paper with normal scissors.

It can be a PIA sometimes, if it crumples while trying to slide the extension in the receiver its usually best to just start over with a new piece. A little Aeroshell grease helps but just a thin film. If its really tight I will add some heat to the receiver with propane. If it still wont go with one full wrap just trim it a bit so their is a gap at the top.

I'm not a expert, just my experience. Feel free to PM m if you have any questions or can't find any shim stock.

This is the stuff I used but any would work I'm sure.