Page 90 of 93 FirstFirst ... 7080828384858687888990919293 LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by JayCarver View Post
    It's just a sheet of stainless steel that's 0.001" thick, comes in a roll, 6" wide, however long. I think I got mine from amazon but not sure could have been Acklands.

I just cut a strip as wide as the extension, then cut it so it doesn't quite wrap the whole way around. Trim a bit for the feed ramp and some for the aliment pin if needed. It cuts like paper with normal scissors.

It can be a PIA sometimes, if it crumples while trying to slide the extension in the receiver its usually best to just start over with a new piece. A little Aeroshell grease helps but just a thin film. If its really tight I will add some heat to the receiver with propane. If it still wont go with one full wrap just trim it a bit so their is a gap at the top.

I'm not a expert, just my experience. Feel free to PM m if you have any questions or can't find any shim stock.

This is the stuff I used but any would work I'm sure.

Thanks for the pointers. I`ll get some ordered as a first step but your explanation makes perfect sense.

Ive read in this thread that lapping the receiver is not required and is not recommended by ATRS.

For those that have completed builds how does the receiver to barrel fit seem and has anyone needed to lap?

Hi all this is my first build and so far all is going well except my bolt catch retaining pin won’t seat flush, am I using the wrong pin or is it a part of the design? Other pics I’ve seen of finished builds have the pin being flush
    “I felt a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote Originally Posted by JayCarver View Post
    It's just a sheet of stainless steel that's 0.001" thick, comes in a roll, 6" wide, however long. I think I got mine from amazon but not sure could have been Acklands.

I just cut a strip as wide as the extension, then cut it so it doesn't quite wrap the whole way around. Trim a bit for the feed ramp and some for the aliment pin if needed. It cuts like paper with normal scissors.

It can be a PIA sometimes, if it crumples while trying to slide the extension in the receiver its usually best to just start over with a new piece. A little Aeroshell grease helps but just a thin film. If its really tight I will add some heat to the receiver with propane. If it still wont go with one full wrap just trim it a bit so their is a gap at the top.

I'm not a expert, just my experience. Feel free to PM m if you have any questions or can't find any shim stock.

This is the stuff I used but any would work I'm sure.

I just ordered some stainless 0.001 stock from Amazon.

I probably got enough for 100 builds but its not expensive.

Been reading up on it a little and it certainly seems like a better bet than just Loctite to bridge the gap (which is what a lot of folks seemed to be using)

Quote Originally Posted by Unexpected View Post
    Hi all this is my first build and so far all is going well except my bolt catch retaining pin won’t seat flush, am I using the wrong pin or is it a part of the design? Other pics I’ve seen of finished builds have the pin being flush
    Could someone please give me some insight into this before I get frustrated and do something stupid lol
    “I felt a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Could someone please give me some insight into this before I get frustrated and do something stupid lol
    So are you saying that your bolt catch roll pin, is sticking out from both sides on the lower? A picture might help us if that's an option for you, as I'm trying to picture what you mean and why you can't just tap it in further.

CGN Regular
    Imagine you have the wrong pin in that hole. Do forward assist pins have the same diameter?
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PinaKaleada View Post
    Imagine you have the wrong pin in that hole. Do forward assist pins have the same diameter?
    Great minds think alike ;-) I just wanted a picture before I went speaking what I was suspecting.

Anyone happen the know the size of the ball bearing early lowers use for the safety? The guy I sold mine to lost it swapping safety levers...

CGN Regular
    I’m pretty sure it’s a 1/8” ball