Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 6171737475767778798081828384858687888991 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

You don't need an adjustable gas block, but it's a good idea if you get a low mass carrier or like to screw around with everything.

Great news, thanks guys! Really looking forward to getting my hands on this little monster.

CGN frequent flyer carlchevalier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scourge18a View Post
    You don't need an adjustable gas block, but it's a good idea if you get a low mass carrier or like to screw around with everything.
    +1 You can virtually eliminate recoil if tuned properly with a specific load. Low mass bolt + adjustable gas block + good comp + rifle lengh gas = Sweetness. We are talking performance and speed (competition) where you want to put multiple rounds on targets fast... I' not getting into the manly 'you dont need to eliminate recoil on a puny .223...'
    Discussion

BANNED
    rifle gas length on my build ended up with teh adjustable gas block wide open and not needed.

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    rifle gas length on my build ended up with teh adjustable gas block wide open and not needed.
    Same (with LW bolt carrier)

I had to put an adj. Gas block on my SLR with a 18.6 MRA rifle length .223 wylde barrel and Brownells light weight BCG. With the standard gas block the bolt would slam the buffer so hard that it started to flare out the area where the rubber bumper went into the buffer. (Mind you it was a cheapo buffer, but still). With the adj gas block the rifle cycles smooth as butter.

CGN frequent flyer
    Anyone whos ever worked with a C7 knows that rifle length gas tube and non-adjustable block is perfectly functional.
    f:P

Although an adjustable gas block is not a requirement it is usefull when running ultra low mass systems or hot ammunition. I like using them in combination with a lightweight buffer and carrier.

When running full mass/mil spec builds I don't bother.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CGN Regular
    Can someone school me on why one might want to use low mass carriers?
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.

BANNED
    Low mass buffers and bolt carriers are intended to reduce felt recoil by reducing the reciprocating mass and it does work. A low mass “lightened” buffer tube is just lighter than the standard it does not effect function at all. Low mass parts help with split times in competition since there is less felt recoil.