Page 69 of 93 FirstFirst ... 495961626364656667686970717273747576777989 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    The only people that complain about this issue must not know how to use google.
    I actually fixed mine, it only required a shim thick washer to push the part(sear?) to the side to engage properly.

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    Except you couldn't be more wrong. I'd never own a piece of crap like a su16. I've never touched an 858 and I wouldnt touch an slr.

If YOU are having problems with YOUR Ms maybe it something that YOU are doing wrong. Every think of that there bud? I haven't had a single problem with mine. I dont know what you are doing to yours or what kind of cheap Chinese garbage you put in it. But dont assume I'm some clown that doesnt know anything about guns. Just makes you look like an ignorant fool. You probably dont even have a modern sporter and are just stirring the pot. You asked a question about someone's OBSERVATION. and I gave you a real first hand experience with what I have experienced with my rifle.
    No I actually think by discounting other people’s experience with the charging handle, it makes your point ignorant and not required in this trouble shooting discussion. Tell me why I’m incorrect.
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by PinaKaleada View Post
    I actually fixed mine, it only required a shim thick washer to push the part(sear?) to the side to engage properly.
    Yup I also did it to mine JIC, But I had actually never experienced it. I think CGN keyboard commandos blew that way out of proportion back in the day. At least it wasnt a 6K MG34 that cost me 1K to fix and get working properly...lol...

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    Yup I also did it to mine JIC, But I had actually never experienced it. I think CGN keyboard commandos blew that way out of proportion back in the day. At least it wasnt a 6K MG34 that cost me 1K to fix and get working properly...lol...
    I was actually able to induce this on two of mine, but shim method was definitely much cheaper than getting it tabbed. 6K MG34 damn what do you do for a living!

Anyway I posted on the other thread, but can anyone take a picture of where the cutout is located? Also a measuring tape beside it would be great. Maybe we can do some thinking on behalf of ATRS.
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietz View Post
    Careful there. It's a valid concern and issue. Doesn't matter who made the charging handle, it will always have a tendency to catch on a corner of the insertion pocket because the corners are not radiused to prevent this from happening. The interaction of the bolt carrier, charging handle and upper dimensional tolerances and variances plays a big role in this.

Lots of guy's CH have been snagging, you're just lucky yours doesn't.
    Number of emails received regarding instances of charging handles snagging currently sits at zero by my count?

That aside, if you are who I think you are, I think I may have some good news for you later this coming week. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PinaKaleada View Post
    I was actually able to induce this on two of mine, but shim method was definitely much cheaper than getting it tabbed. 6K MG34 damn what do you do for a living!

Anyway I posted on the other thread, but can anyone take a picture of where the cutout is located? Also a measuring tape beside it would be great. Maybe we can do some thinking on behalf of ATRS.
    This is where the charging handle will insert, and I can't fathom a reason to change it nor a better location for it. Here's why: On our prototype units the insertion point was located rear of the hook assembly, and left too little material around the latching point for the charge handle. So the decision on production models was to move the insertion point forward of the hook. The only other thing I've seen mentioned regarding this is to have the slots extend all the way to the rear and not have an insertion point inside the upper. The issue there is once again the notching location for the charging handles being too thin and the aluminum will likely blow out as our prototypes and beta testing indicated.

We bent handles, we twisted handles, we pulled up on them, we pushed down on them, all without issue. (Radian Raptor, Colt, DPMS, BCM, Geiselle, PRI, Strike Industries and Brownells brand, to name a few off the top of my head)
    This appears to be a hypothetical observation rather than an issue encountered during use, which is fine, many great ideas and suggestions come from this same sort of discussion. But I can assure you a lot of time, energy and thought went into testing the charge handle insertion point, and it wasn't a decision made lightly.

If you've actually experienced any form of a jam or "dislocation" of the charging handle during use please do email us at info@albertatacticalrifle.com.

I've been following the "observation" thread linked previous, as it was also sent in email to us and a more detailed response is forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    Number of emails received regarding instances of charging handles snagging currently sits at zero by my count?
    I've seen it mentioned on the forum a bunch of times. I shouldn't have said "lots" tho...

You know what they say, if there's one guy saying something, at least 10 more are thinking it.

I should have mentioned in that post that there does need to be some tolerance discrepency between the CH and BCG for a CH to actually be able to catch. Two parts at opposing ends of the allowed tolerance meeting eachother, for example. All manufacturers put out parts within a certain tolerance.

I honestly think it's more of a charging handle vs bolt carrier dimentional relation issue, and charging handle use technique, rather than the upper being the culprit (the design of the pocket/rails only reveals the dimensional discrepency between the CH and BCG, rather than being the issue itself) I have a bunch of charging handles from different makes and there are definite variations. The more high grade you go the less variation you have (wear plays a role too). An Armalite milspec CH I have (the lowest grade CH I own) has a very strange combination of an out-of spec nose, top pimple and rail ears, along with a slight bend in the body. That CH could cause such issue. The BCM handle I selected for the upper was working nice and worry-free.
    I bet some guy's charging handles are ever so slightly bent or flex because of the way they use the CH or because of the stock height, which could cause this to happen if the bolt carrier has enough of a discrepency too. Still, the upper is not the issue, rather I think it's design highlights the potential discrepency between some of the CH and BCG manufacturers, by letting the ears catch.

Some could be twisted in a way by charging one handed and would catch a corner ever so slightly without actually getting stuck. I bet that's what the guys are experiencing.

I think it's not really an issue of the upper per say, rather it has more to do with the wild variation of parts on the market up here, with chinese and unkown parts floating around.

That aside, if you are who I think you are, I think I may have some good news for you later this coming week. :-)
    Oh that's great! I didn't want to bother you, I preferred letting you guys do your thing without me intervening.

Honestly I've never seen a Canadian manufacturer care as much about the end user as you guys.
    Last edited by Dietz; 05-05-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    There are only two types of people in this world, those who want to control others, and those who have no such desire. The former is the enemy of humanity.

Stand together. Stand strong. Don't give them an inch for they will take a mile.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar

To put to rest any questions or uncertainty about the charging handles.

Uber Super GunNutz davide montini's Avatar
    Very very very nice you guys rock !!!...the wait is well worth it ...
    I pray you folks get ahead of schedule
    Modern sporter with black level or label front stock (the one with the intragraded front bipod .....is going to look oh so sweet the only thing sweeter are women !!!!!......mmmmm yummy!
    Keep up the good work
    viva la FICA ..E va fan culo!!!!!..Ontario government is like the nazis ..too many family and friends in the government...it's who you know and blow

Quote Originally Posted by Dietz View Post

Oh that's great! I didn't want to bother you, I preferred letting you guys do your thing without me intervening.
    Did I get my hopes up too quick? lol
    There are only two types of people in this world, those who want to control others, and those who have no such desire. The former is the enemy of humanity.

Stand together. Stand strong. Don't give them an inch for they will take a mile.

Quick question to those that use Maple ridge barrels. I know they are not dimpled for gas blocks. Did you dimple yours or not?

Have the FA uppers started shipping yet?
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.