Page 63 of 93 FirstFirst ... 435355565758596061626364656667686970717383 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    I bet it’s the gas block. I believe the superlative is fully open at 4.5 turns out.
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

Fully closed is all the way in cw.
    Fully open is 4.5 turns out ccw.
    Bleed off is past 4.5 turns out ccw.

Quote Originally Posted by edge9382 View Post
    I'm having an extremely difficult time getting mine to cycle. Rifle length gas, carbine buffer (2.9oz) and carbine tube, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. It's acting like it's undergassed no matter what I set the gas block to, I've made sure the port on it is aligned with the barrel port.

Is there anyone with this combination that's had success?
    Switch out the adjustable gas block to a mil-spec piece. Check the carbon ring around the port for proper alignment. What extension tube do you have, mil-spec or commercial? What bolt carrier are you running, Full Auto, semi Auto (full semi Auto) or colt modified?
    CCFR — CSSA

What procedure did you use to align the gas block? If you set it to fully open and it's still undergassed, you can be pretty sure you have an alignment issue. I'd check the gas key and gas tube length as well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ssapach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edge9382 View Post
    I'm having an extremely difficult time getting mine to cycle. Rifle length gas, carbine buffer (2.9oz) and carbine tube, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. It's acting like it's undergassed no matter what I set the gas block to, I've made sure the port on it is aligned with the barrel port.

Is there anyone with this combination that's had success?
    I have rifle length gas. I also had trouble at first. Turned out my barrel port was undersized. I opened it up to 0.099" and it's working now.

For what it's worth, that's with 18.6" barrel, full mass Colt BCG and H1 buffer.

CGN Regular
    Anyone have info on 18.6” MIDLENGTH gas port size? Can’t seem to find any info on this.
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.

GunNutz
    Another thing to look at is the gas rings on your bolt make sure all your seams are NOT aligned.

Quote Originally Posted by ssapach View Post
    I have rifle length gas. I also had trouble at first. Turned out my barrel port was undersized. I opened it up to 0.099" and it's working now.

For what it's worth, that's with 18.6" barrel, full mass Colt BCG and H1 buffer.
    That .99 is very large for a rifle length. What diameter and what is the OAL of the barrel?

CCFR — CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ssapach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    That .99 is very large for a rifle length. What diameter and what is the OAL of the barrel?

18.6" barrel and 0.750" gas block.

I couldn't actually find solid info on gas port size for 18.6" barrels, but did see mentions of 0.098" for 20" barrels, even some random internet forum comments about up to 0.109".

Rifle works now with a non-adjustable gas block at the moment. I'm no expert, but it sure doesn't feel over gassed and was ejecting nicely at a 3 o'clock position during my test firing.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post

I’ve alao seen these charts and they often never have info on what a MIDLENGTH 18.6” should be. I asked RWA about IBI and their answer was 0.092”, but I think the journal is larger than 0.750”, so a 0.750” would be smaller. Anyone else have info?
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.