Page 64 of 93 FirstFirst ... 445456575859606162636465666768697071727484 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

I was the one that originally posted about having issues. I had the gas block set properly, and did try different settings to rule it out. I took the block off last night, and found that the gas port hole was not drilled all the way through properly. It is a barrel from a very reputable manufacturer, so I will see how they handle it. I spent many hours and gas driving back and forth to the range that I have access to, so I am not very happy about this at all.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

^^^
    This
    Dealing with warranty sucks.
    If you can fix it yourself if they won't void your warranty and ask them for some swag.

Quote Originally Posted by ssapach View Post
    18.6" barrel and 0.750" gas block.

I couldn't actually find solid info on gas port size for 18.6" barrels, but did see mentions of 0.098" for 20" barrels, even some random internet forum comments about up to 0.109".

Rifle works now with a non-adjustable gas block at the moment. I'm no expert, but it sure doesn't feel over gassed and was ejecting nicely at a 3 o'clock position during my test firing.
    Good news that it is working now. Personally I do not get hung up on the ejection location pie graph, but 2 to 4 seems what people strive for. Please remember that this changes as the spent brass strikes the receiver.
    CCFR — CSSA

CGN Regular
    Anyone know if Aero Atlas hand guards will work on the sporter?

CGN Regular SuperDeadlyAccountant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fridge450 View Post
    Anyone know if Aero Atlas hand guards will work on the sporter?
    It looks like the anti-rotation tabs are quite large so I want to say it won't fit without modification.

I know this is a controversial subject, but I was wondering how you guys plan to break-in your barrels? I’ve been watching countless YouTube videos on the subject (I’m a new shooter). What do you guys do?

I have ATRS building my rifle for me. I’d like their take on this as well (as they test fire the rifle before boxing it up)... do you clean the barrel before running the first test bullet down the barrel? I’d love to hear your input on proper break-in procedures - as precision rifle builders.

Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    I know this is a controversial subject, but I was wondering how you guys plan to break-in your barrels? I’ve been watching countless YouTube videos on the subject (I’m a new shooter). What do you guys do?

I have ATRS building my rifle for me. I’d like their take on this as well (as they test fire the rifle before boxing it up)... do you clean the barrel before running the first test bullet down the barrel? I’d love to hear your input on proper break-in procedures - as precision rifle builders.
    It's a touchy subject. I say it's a myth made up by barrel and ammo makers just to get you to spend more money to "break-in" a barrel. I never have and never will. I run 2-3 patches down the barrel before shooting it. Shoot it until it doesnt shoot anymore then clean it and shoot it again until it doesnt shoot anymore. So on an so on. There is no documented evidence supporting or denying with absolute proof that it does any good or any harm. It's all personal preference

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    It's a touchy subject. I say it's a myth made up by barrel and ammo makers just to get you to spend more money to "break-in" a barrel. I never have and never will. I run 2-3 patches down the barrel before shooting it. Shoot it until it doesnt shoot anymore then clean it and shoot it again until it doesnt shoot anymore. So on an so on. There is no documented evidence supporting or denying with absolute proof that it does any good or any harm. It's all personal preference
    No doubt about it. I'm super curious what ATRS take is on the subject. It makes perfect sense to me that it's important to clean the barrel properly to remove any debris, burrs, and gunk from the barrel before the first round is fired. From there... I have no idea? I want to make sure ATRS does clean the barrel of my rifle before the first shot is fired - which I'm sure they do!! .

Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    No doubt about it. I'm super curious what ATRS take is on the subject. It makes perfect sense to me that it's important to clean the barrel properly to remove any debris, burrs, and gunk from the barrel before the first round is fired. From there... I have no idea? I want to make sure ATRS does clean the barrel of my rifle before the first shot is fired - which I'm sure they do!! .
    No barrel leaves any factory without being test fired, so you're never really getting an "unfired barrel".
    There are only two types of people in this world, those who want to control others, and those who have no such desire. The former is the enemy of humanity.

Stand together. Stand strong. Don't give them an inch for they will take a mile.