Page 33 of 93 FirstFirst ... 132325262728293031323334353637383940414353 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter builds Q&A

CGN Ultra frequent flyer propliner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffv View Post
    I had a quick question about the dust cover. Currently it doesn’t seat tight to the upper. It sits about 1/8 away from completely closed. Is anyone else having this problem.
    The cheap DPMS cover has a small gap too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffv View Post
    I had a quick question about the dust cover. Currently it doesn’t seat tight to the upper. It sits about 1/8 away from completely closed. Is anyone else having this problem. I was thinking about going with an adjustable one from strike industries but I don’t know if this will solve the problem. Currently I have just a cheap steel one installed. On a completely different topic has anyone considered filing down the catch on the charging handle. I was thinking long term it might wear down the upper since upper is aluminum and the charging handle catch appears to be steel.
    I have one of the Strike Industries ultimate covers, fits perfectly.
    Stand and deliver - freedom is not free, and never has been. Resist the Reset!

whats the best way to torque a barrel nut down on the sporter? I only have a magpul bev block but it wont fit into the upper, any alternatives? preferably not having to buy another tool

Myself I got away with putting a rag around it and throwing in the vise , not super tight just enough to hold it while I torque . Probably not ideal way of doing it but the job got done and zero scuffing

Quote Originally Posted by blupul View Post
    Myself I got away with putting a rag around it and throwing in the vise , not super tight just enough to hold it while I torque . Probably not ideal way of doing it but the job got done and zero scuffing
    where do i clamp it down using this method? behind the deflector or in front of it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedViking View Post
    whats the best way to torque a barrel nut down on the sporter? I only have a magpul bev block but it wont fit into the upper, any alternatives? preferably not having to buy another tool
    Remove the roll pin in the bev block. Slide the steel part up. Put upper on bev block. Put barrel in upper. Put pin through bev block and upper. Clamp bev block in vice tight. Torque barrel nut.

Last edited by Ntloukas; 08-14-2022 at 11:50 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Ntloukas View Post
    I bought a Midwest Industries M-LOK G3 SSM rail that uses an anti rotation tab. Unfortunately due to the anti rotation tab it will not work with the upper.

It was bought before I received the upper. Any solutions before I buy something else?
    I had the identical issue on my SLR and needed to cut the two tabs off. The billet lowers are much thicker so do not worry it will hide the modifications.

CCFR — CSSA

Had an issue doing a test fit with both spare handguards I had on hand.

They're Aero Precision's, never had issues with them in the past. These guards are for milspec AR uppers so they weren't gonna fit this build, but the nut should still thread on fine. I used Aeroshell 33 and stopped pretty quick but both barrel nuts I have here are giving me trouble and are threading slightly off. I've never seen this before, any ideas?

I've got other hand guards here but don't feel like pulling anything else apart to check with a 3rd or 4th barrel nut... I've got a different HG coming for this gun but it's a ways out yet.