Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt release kit issues?

CGN Regular

Bolt release kit issues?

Has anyone had fitment issues with their upgrade kit?
    For me, it seems like there isn’t enough clearance to stick the E clasp in its slot after you fit the bolt release lever through the receiver and catch/arm. That clamp is insanely tight to push into place to hold everything together for me (already broke one of them)

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HvacFridge Apprentice View Post
    Has anyone had fitment issues with their upgrade kit?
    For me, it seems like there isn’t enough clearance to stick the E clasp in its slot after you fit the bolt release lever through the receiver and catch/arm. That clamp is insanely tight to push into place to hold everything together for me (already broke one of them)
    It could be a tolerance issue on the thickness of the receiver to the length of the release as we run the tolerance on our release as tight as possible. We have another run being done right now in the shop that we have designed to be a little longer, to account for any change in thickness of the receiver through the numbers being run by Kodiak.

Alternatively, I see your location is Calgary, if you want to email me at info@rangewarrioraccessories.com and we can make arrangements for you to stop by with your WK, and we can sort through some existing stock to find one that works for yours.

Apologies on it not working for you. It sucks when you get excited to install a part and it doesn't work.
    Barry

CGN Regular
    Hey Barry, thanks! Email sent

Expired Business Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by HvacFridge Apprentice View Post
    Hey Barry, thanks! Email sent
    I’m glad you can come in. We have seen a wide range of sizes on the WK180c platform and it has been a challenge to make parts for the rifle. We had multiple issues with the through hole on the receiver being a wide variety of sizes. However we have not seen the wall thickness of the receiver varying much so this would be new.
    I look forward to measuring your WK.

Cheers.
    Last edited by RWA-Technical; 03-08-2019 at 10:02 PM.

CGN Regular
    Yah I’m free any time and can pop in. Sent an email off to Barry with my phone number (I accidentally sent two emails, stupid iPhone saying it didn’t send the first time)
    -Mitch

Expired Business Rep
    Just to update everyone. The customers lower had a 0.02 difference in wall thickness than any other WK180 we have measured. This made the bolt release really tight to put in. We will make another size of bolt release if this issue pops up again. From our perspective it just seems like this lower was out of tolerance from the norm so it may just be a missed QC check.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RWA-Technical View Post
    Just to update everyone. The customers lower had a 0.02 difference in wall thickness than any other WK180 we have measured. This made the bolt release really tight to put in. We will make another size of bolt release if this issue pops up again. From our perspective it just seems like this lower was out of tolerance from the norm so it may just be a missed QC check.
    Hey all,
    So as Kevin mentioned, after inspecting and measuring the parts and the lower that you brought in to us, we have found that the thickness of the receiver is approximate .020" thicker on yours than it is on the ones that we have had in the past. This may be a change that Kodiak/wolverine has made going forward....we're not sure.

It does make things a little more difficult for us as we may have to contend with:
    1. A design change on the lower, that results in a variety of sizes in a variety of lowers; or
    2. A large tolerance on the lower, that results in a variety of sizes in a variety of lowers.

It will definitely make it challenging to send out Bolt Release Kits to people that have WKs without knowing the thickness of their individual receiver.

If it is situation 1 from above, then going forward we will probably be able to nail it down based on serial number....ie up to ### serial number order this kit, after ### order this kit.

Situation 2 above, will make it much more difficult, as serial number will not matter and any given rifle, but we will figure it out.

If someone out there has our bolt release in a rifle with a serial number above 600 that works, can you let us know.

This is actually one of the reasons that we seem to run out of bolt release kits, we have already had to make 5 different batches of various sizes because of sizing issues on the WK.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by RWA-Sales View Post
    Hey all,
    So as Kevin mentioned, after inspecting and measuring the parts and the lower that you brought in to us, we have found that the thickness of the receiver is approximate .020" thicker on yours than it is on the ones that we have had in the past. This may be a change that Kodiak/wolverine has made going forward....we're not sure.

It does make things a little more difficult for us as we may have to contend with:
    1. A design change on the lower, that results in a variety of sizes in a variety of lowers; or
    2. A large tolerance on the lower, that results in a variety of sizes in a variety of lowers.

It will definitely make it challenging to send out Bolt Release Kits to people that have WKs without knowing the thickness of their individual receiver.

If it is situation 1 from above, then going forward we will probably be able to nail it down based on serial number....ie up to ### serial number order this kit, after ### order this kit.

Situation 2 above, will make it much more difficult, as serial number will not matter and any given rifle, but we will figure it out.

If someone out there has our bolt release in a rifle with a serial number above 600 that works, can you let us know.

This is actually one of the reasons that we seem to run out of bolt release kits, we have already had to make 5 different batches of various sizes because of sizing issues on the WK.
    This is why the GD & T was developed.

CGN Regular William_mississauga's Avatar
    Just put mine in and it is tight. My serial is in the 300 range

Quote Originally Posted by Meroh View Post
    This is why the GD & T was developed.
    It is, but the problem is when you're reverse engineering you don't get that number. Your example(s) come anywhere in that range, and if it's in the middle and you figure their tolerances, great. If typically they run a little closer to the smaller end, than a situation like this could come up.

Or it missed a QC check. Or a change in the technical package.

Or they might be kicking the package aside, and making things work with the parts they have, which could easily be the case with the varying size of the through hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast