Possibility of a Bolt-action 7.62x25 SBR?

Because some people prefer the HARD WAY!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The theme of all these post wanting stuff that's not in production is people wanting stuff cheap. Cheap=easy, hard=$$$$. cant have something that needs all this r&d cheap. Simple plain jane point and click interface is the only way to get cheap.

I like the idea of a short bolt action pistol cartridge rifle just for fun on a walk around the woods.

The problem is that for function, it probably would all have the same purposes served already by a Ranch Hand or Mares Leg.

As for the 762x25, after the surplus dries up you’re better off with any other pistol cartridge.

Also, buying a $1000 gun to save money using cheap ammo probably wouldn’t work out too well.

I think if someone wanted to get such a project done cheaply, it would have to be through business relationships made on a personal level with someone in China, Turkey, Mexico, India, etc. This could be done of course, but I doubt it would be cheap.

Again I like the concept, but I think there would be a bigger market for a more common chambering like 9mm, and it would be hard to do it cheaper than one of the autoloaders out there such as the Ruger. And with the lever rifles on the market for more powerful revolver cartridges already, I think it would be a tough deal to get going.

I’m not saying that it wouldn’t have a niche following, just that it would require a lot more than a niche following and cost a lot more.

For those interested in the idea, what are your plans after the surplus dries up? What would it do that a 22 Mag wouldn’t? Where have you been getting new factory ammo, and at what price point? Any soft point available at reasonable prices?

I’m not saying any of this to poop on the party, just curious. And if I’m wrong, please correct me.

Just thinking out loud bit I have a mutilated Enfield action here, what difficulties would a fellow have building a jig to cut and shorten the action then screw a green mountain pphs finished barrel into it.

I like the idea of a short bolt action pistol cartridge rifle just for fun on a walk around the woods.

The problem is that for function, it probably would all have the same purposes served already by a Ranch Hand or Mares Leg.

As for the 762x25, after the surplus dries up you’re better off with any other pistol cartridge.

Also, buying a $1000 gun to save money using cheap ammo probably wouldn’t work out too well.

I think if someone wanted to get such a project done cheaply, it would have to be through business relationships made on a personal level with someone in China, Turkey, Mexico, India, etc. This could be done of course, but I doubt it would be cheap.

Again I like the concept, but I think there would be a bigger market for a more common chambering like 9mm, and it would be hard to do it cheaper than one of the autoloaders out there such as the Ruger. And with the lever rifles on the market for more powerful revolver cartridges already, I think it would be a tough deal to get going.

I’m not saying that it wouldn’t have a niche following, just that it would require a lot more than a niche following and cost a lot more.

For those interested in the idea, what are your plans after the surplus dries up? What would it do that a 22 Mag wouldn’t? Where have you been getting new factory ammo, and at what price point? Any soft point available at reasonable prices?

I’m not saying any of this to poop on the party, just curious. And if I’m wrong, please correct me.

I think it's a cheap reloader kind of guys dream plink machine.

I want it for shooting groups at 100M. Once the Milsurp is gone, S&B makes nice stuff that seems available and it's made with with good brass for reloading. There's lots of 30 cal bullets available too for the reloader.

Muthafunk, thanks for the input.
How much do the factory rounds cost? And at what bullet weight would you be able to achieve subsonic using pistol powder (not trail boss) in this cartridge? I don’t think I’ve seen these on the shelf before, just online.
If it could be done on the cheap somehow, then it would be great. I just expect that the cost will outweigh it in the same way that it’s now longer a bargain to sporterize mil auto rifles. Barrels alone cost as much as a cheap new rifle.
I see the appeal - there doesn’t seem to be cheap compact bolt action pistol cartridge rifles floating around. It would be the cost of manufacturing that would be the deal breaker.

Sounds pretty cool but I'd rather a dmr in 308 or 30-06 that I can shoot steel and deer (mostly steel) at long ranges built around the same specs as the vz58 but just scaled up so it wouldn't be deemed an ak variant.

I don't see cheap 7.62x25 as the main reason, but as just one among many pro's. Nor is "Cheap" (rifle wise) the paramount (though I mentioned it as possibly a way to attract a higher following.)

Any action that could (dimentionally) take a 7.62x25 would also take a 9mm, a .40, .45, .357sig, 10mm, etc, pretty much any of the auto-loading pistol calibers. Which means that you could accommodate for all those rounds by using a mag spacer, a barrel and (sometimes but not always) a new bolt.

7.62x25 VS .22mag: You get approximately double the amount of energy from the Tok round out of a pistol length barrel (600j) as you do the .22mag out of a rifle length barrel (300j). Now, throw the 7.62x25 into a 8-10in barrel and I'm sure you'd see a bit of an increase. Most standard 7.62x25 rounds are going to be about 85grains, where as .22mag will be about 40ish grains. You'd also get the increase in reliability between a rimfire and a centre fire.

Re: Availability - Once the surplus runs out (if it ever does), you still have current commercial production from Norinco as well as S&B. I'm sure there are others as well.

Thanks GrimRX for more info.

What size cartridge base does it share with other rounds? If it uses the same bolt face, I could see that adding further appeal.

As for the power lever, I see what you mean regarding the difference between it and the 22 Mag. What would a guy be able to hunt with it that that a 22Mag wouldn’t in practical terms? It still would basically be a varmint round or maybe up to the size of fox or coyote likely, right? Or wrong?

They have converted 9mm Largo Spanish Destroyers.Prone to extractor breakage. Except no two take the same parts as mostly hand fitted from small makers all over the country .........Basques if I recall correctly?

What size cartridge base does it share with other rounds? If it uses the same bolt face, I could see that adding further appeal.

It's close enough to a 9mm or a 223 to use the same bolt face. I make 7.62x25 brass from cut down 223 brass. It works ok but the brass stretches a bit because the 223 is a hair smaller diameter. 22 TCM is the 223 shortened to 26mm and necked back down to .224". I recently got some Lee dies for that in the hopes of making a barrel for my Tokarev TT33.

It's close enough to a 9mm or a 223 to use the same bolt face. I make 7.62x25 brass from cut down 223 brass. It works ok but the brass stretches a bit because the 223 is a hair smaller diameter. 22 TCM is the 223 shortened to 26mm and necked back down to .224". I recently got some Lee dies for that in the hopes of making a barrel for my Tokarev TT33.

Thanks Rifleman. I was wondering how much difference between the Tok X25 and .223. A guy at my range also makes Tok brass out of .223.

Back
Top Bottom