Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personal question for Surplus / ex-mil guys....

Kelly's has good price on cases of mre star, i bought a case there pretty good

CGN Regular
    IMO you are best off getting food your kids will eat that is semi-long term. If they are not going to eat it now it will be hard to get them to eat it then. Besides the pasta, sliced peaches, chocolate bars, peanut butter and the candies there is not much my kids would eat in an IMP from my experience. I don't even like most of them after eating lots of them. Best bit to me is the fruit and chocolate bar.

Peter

CGN Ultra frequent flyer gwhysow's Avatar
    Getting your hands on IMPs will be a matter of knowing a guy who knows a guy. Though things have changed a bit - aka. Less in the way of roving expiry dates - I went with the fresh direct option and purchased from Meal Kit Supply Canada, who manufacture and/or repackage direct contract components. These are heavily untilied by Canadian and international organizations. When I start to run down on my best before dates I just use them for day trips and rebuy a case. Oddly, MREs used to be an expensive option, but if I'm out and about, getting a day's worth of calories will cost me like $25 bucks, as opposed to the $10 or so for an MRE. Plus, there's coffee. That's like $4 right there

That said, these are not good for kids. Or anyone really. Freeze dried is less convenient, but healthy. There are some that actually reconstitute with cold water, which is another option.

Expried Business Member
    costco dot ca

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlask Arms View Post
    These are not for a BOB they are for an earthquake here on the coast. Since I have two kids to take care of and our government is going to be a useless bag of s**t in a REAL emergency situation I prefer to know that i have all that I need for me and the little room mates. There are now 2 large Rubbermaid tubs outside in my garden shed for us to have some modicum of comfort and stability, just would like some MREs to add to it so I don't have to cook or even boil water if I'm otherwise occupied.

Leigh
    Freeze dried food is better and lasts longer in storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlask Arms View Post
    ...just would like some MREs to add to it so I don't have to cook or even boil water if I'm otherwise occupied.

Leigh
    Quote Originally Posted by dacron View Post
    Freeze dried food is better and lasts longer in storage.
    I thought freeze dried required some prep work in order to eat, cooking or boiling etc?
    Victory Formation

"Somebody get a gun and shoot it! Doesn't anybody have a gun?" Jaws 1975
    A society grows great when men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Grain View Post
    I thought freeze dried required some prep work in order to eat, cooking or boiling etc?
    Just add water and wait, unless you want it hot then cook it

The issue is going to be shelfe lift. Everyone claims oh I will check it every year bla bla bla. Reality is no one ever does. They throw their stuff in a box and hide it under the bed and forget about it until it is needed. Buy things that will last forever, not only does it save you money, it will actually be good to go when you need it.

Shawn

CGN Regular
    Since you're in Delta, you may as well just have a few fishing rods for when Richmond sinks and you have a TON of new fishable area to get food from.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyK View Post
    Hard to find because it’s illegal, so far as I’m aware.. “expired” get cut open by pte/ cpl types and chucked in the dumpster lol
    Bruh you don’t want them anyways. You’re better off with canned food and assorted non perishables for short term.

Get a couple extra cans here and there when you go to the grocery store. Look up pics on build your own meals how people do it and invest in rice/pulses etc for mid term
    not to mention of the things in our IMPs are made in the US....

Quote Originally Posted by DRE369 View Post
    Since you're in Delta, you may as well just have a few fishing rods for when Richmond sinks and you have a TON of new fishable area to get food from.
    HAHA, I just moved to Tsawwassen from spending 30 years in Richmond last summer. Every once in a while I would lay in bed wondering if / when the 'Big One' would hit and how fast I could get out of Dodge if it happened.

Now I live on a nice high hill in Tsawwassen where I can see it all happen down in the distance while I (hopefully my Vodka doesn't break in the quake) can sip a martini and soak it in to tell the grand kids.
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast