Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personal question for Surplus / ex-mil guys....

CGN frequent flyer englishman_ca's Avatar
    Ontario's Near North, not far from west side of Algonquin Park
    IMPs are great in that you get tooth pick, matches, gum and toilet paper. Some of them have a chocolate bar. Good stuff.

But having tried freeze dried, I will not backpack heavy IMPs or MREs out on the trail ever again.
    The only way to stuff three days worth of MREs in your pack is by field stripping. Then you are throwing half the stuff away.
    With Mountain House all you are left with is the zip seal bag to pack out your garbage.

I ate a Mountain House dehydrated meal out snowshoeing this last weekend, chicken and rice. Tasted good, filled my belly.

As I sat in the sun on a rock with my JetBoil stove and waited the 2 minutes for the water to boil for the ration and to make myself a tea, I read the back of the packet. The best before date (note, not expiry date) was 2047.

In 2047 I would be 90 years of age, so the food likely has a later expiry date than I do.
    Look to your front, mark your target when it comes..

Super GunNutz
    Check Meal Supply Kits ( https://can.mealkitsupply.com/collections/mre ) for quality civillian MRE's
    Watch (and laugh) Steve1989 on youtube, he does international military ration reviews including Canadian IMP's and the above mentioned Meal Supply Kits, He does not have good stuff to say about the MRE Star brand.
    I have found rations on kijiji.ca both Canadian IMP's and American MRE's
    Longevity of any ration is based on storage, cool and dry.
    Good luck

I take MREs hunting, hiking etc. I keep MREs in my emergency kits in both my service truck and personal vehicle and at home. That being said I have several of the mountain house and Wise company products longer term storage items as well. The mealkitsupply.ca mres tasted better and i get a kick out of the department of national defense comment card that's included . MRE star I'd say they were still very edible just not as good. Frontier firearms carries them. The convince of the MRE style meal is worth it.If your feeling international there's mremountain.com the carry a wide variety from all over the place. Also remember water is a precious resource, it takes far less water to cook an MRE with a ration heater then boiling water for freeze dried. Yes they weigh more. It depends on what your situation is and what your overall plan is. I'd go meal kit supply in this particular case.
    If Canada banned guns in 1812 and it was not for armed volunteers we would be saying the pledge of allegiance right now. Call me a true Canadian but I believe the annual day we burned the white house down should be a paid holiday.

Wow, starting this thread I didn't realize what a hot button topic it would be ! ( ;

Keep in mind, I have freeze dried food, an excellent water purification system, stove etc., the IMPs are simply for a quick meal for myself and the kids in an emergency situation. I will not be lugging them through the bush so I don't care what they weigh, I just want quick and easy.

Everything is in the garage of my house, in big Rubbermaid tubs. They will be nice and cool, not frozen though, and readily accessible even if the house is damaged in a quake.

My kids and I thank you guys for sharing your ideas and experience, it's great that a community can do that in this day and age.
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

My wife and I started to think about this kind of stuff a couple years ago when we moved out of the city. A really good resource we found was the church of latter day saints. Although we are not members of their church, they provided us will a lots of useful literature about food storage, drying, pickling, gardening, water storage and treatment, etc... They also sell lots of quality prepackaged/canned food that you can buy at a their food store or online.

From what I learned about the Mormons is they believe they need to first survive the tribulation and wrath of God before the rapture.

Dont go more than 8-10 MRE’s.
    Stock up mountain house or alipneaire.
    25 shell life, cheaper, no problem stocking them in a car.
    Ban2019.com: lutter contre le désarmement au niveau municipal.

Buy a pressure cooker and hit the market every year when things come into season.
    Can meat, chicken, fish and veggies and fruits.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer homeboy1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow sniper View Post
    Dont go more than 8-10 MRE’s.
    Stock up mountain house or alipneaire.
    25 shell life, cheaper, no problem stocking them in a car.
    Fully agree. Have eaten both and hands down winner are the mountain house offerings. Easy too get things like coffee , tea, candy and add to the meals similar to a ration pack.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlask Arms View Post
    HAHA, I just moved to Tsawwassen from spending 30 years in Richmond last summer. Every once in a while I would lay in bed wondering if / when the 'Big One' would hit and how fast I could get out of Dodge if it happened.

Now I live on a nice high hill in Tsawwassen where I can see it all happen down in the distance while I (hopefully my Vodka doesn't break in the quake) can sip a martini and soak it in to tell the grand kids.
    I remember having drinks with a coast guard guy a few yrs ago, he told me that a lot of rescue gear was on the east side of the Rockies. The way he explained it was the shock wave models had them coming in then bouncing back off the Mountains. He said "imagine when two wakes collide, there goes Vancouver Island"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast