Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Zastava MP22

I have no experience with this.

What do you gents use to strip the stock and does the checkering need to be recut afterwards?

Mine came yesterday and I don’t see any finish on it at all. You can still feel the fine wood fibres
    Edit : Just rubbed some scotch brute on stock. Very thin coating,probably some type of lacquer. Go to
    rimfirecentral.com
    In the states there are some very good threads on refinishing, good tips on doing checkering
    Last edited by 45CAT; 03-02-2019 at 03:50 PM.

My Zastava 22 wmr stock gets a little thirsty looking sometimes and then I just give it a dose of Watco Danish oil as per the mfgr's instructions. I'm planning to add some rosewood to my stock and at that point I may just varnish it.
    I love not man the less, but nature more.
    Lord Gordon Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Freezuch View Post
    Have you prepped Zastava stock at all or is it good to go straight on?
    Some stock finishes can be sanded off with a fine grit sand paper. These MP22 rifles do not appear to have much of a finish on them.

There are several stock refinishing videos on you-tube. Very fine steel wool on the final sanding makes for an excellent look and feel after the Tru-Oil coats are applied. Steel wool sand between the Tru-Oil coats.

Good luck!.....

The sky is the limit to what you want the final look to be.

Just took mine apart to the bare wood. The exploded diagram does not match the gun. The bolt in front of the trigger guard is pillared(likes to fall out,the pillar). The bolt(?) behind the trigger guard came stripped. Mr Dremel had to be utilized (Crappy Tire cutoff discs useless , use Dremel discs). It’s not a bolt but a coarse wood screw. Removed the trigger guard and found a bolt and washer( not tight) securing the rear of the action. Now to start the striping process
    Edit: By stripped I meant by the bit used to install the screw, no purchase for a bit or screw remover , a perfect circle
    Last edited by 45CAT; 03-09-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    Going to look at mine... Can you post pics 45CAT?

Here’s mine...

Name:  57AFF0AB-4DFA-4526-8D07-85F9A725B61C.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  54.0 KB
    Last edited by Jay; 03-09-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Mine looks the same. The second action screw and washer are accessible once the trigger guard is removed.

Too bad bad about the stripped screw. My rifle was in great shape save for a small indentation in the wood near the magazine release.

I will probably put linseed oil on top of the coat on the rifle.... I dont want to strip it and theres almost no finnish of any kind. Wish they would have sent it either completely unfinished or properly done lol. Rifle seems solid otherwise.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    The magazine lips can use a bit of a de-tune.... razor sharp and a bit stiff on the 5th round is bound to get bloody.....
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zackstab View Post
    I will probably put linseed oil on top of the coat on the rifle.... I dont want to strip it and theres almost no finnish of any kind. Wish they would have sent it either completely unfinished or properly done lol. Rifle seems solid otherwise.
    If you wanted to you could use some turpentine and a clean rag, stiff nylon brush(checkering) to prep before oiling.
    Last edited by Can-down; 03-09-2019 at 03:34 PM.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.